• This topic has 135 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Dry January… who’s up for it?!
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ghost ship and Brooklyn are both excellent.

el_boufador

I’m in, maybe for longer than Jan.

Had a couple of months off last year and once a couple of weeks in it was easy enough to swerve the booze, especially with decent af beers and as above fizzy water (I like it mixed with a bit of fresh juice).

Favourite af beers are probably the big drop mixed boxes for the variety, but I also really rate the lucky saint from Tesco for a very nice lager.

jimster01

I tend to stick with fizzy water, soda and lime or the like. AF beer is too much of a tease to me personally.

jkomo

Fry jan for me.

Coyote
    Free Member

Cue lots of sanctimonious posts of why it is pointless or a bad idea

Massively outweighed by much navel gazing and donning of hairshirts over why drinking is bad.

Not for me this year.

ernie

Just failed

corroded
    Free Member

Just finished the last glass of Chateau Diabetes so I’m in. I usually don’t drink over winter primarily so I’m not overweight by spring but it’s tough when everything is so gloomy at the moment.

stumpyjon

I’ll stick to not on a school night (Sun to Wed, Thurs in extreme cicumstances) and when I feel like. My Christmas beer is a quarter drunk and will probably last me to the other side of Easter. Dont see the point of a detox when drinking excessively for the rest of the year.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

£10 off code for Lucky Saint: TIMES10

(Might be only valid on 12 or more bottles – it errored when I tried it on 12 cans)

devash
    Free Member

Started off great yesterday until just before the family dinner when my dad pulled out a lovely bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir which I had to have a glass of.

Today’s been fine though, not had the urge to drink despite a fridge full of plonk.

jonnyboi

Just had two bottles of Erdinger alkoholfrei. Actually liked it much better then their normal stuff, but then again it’s vile

el_boufador

Today’s been fine though, not had the urge to drink despite a fridge full of plonk.

I’ve taken all mine out of the fridge, and am part way through boxing it up and putting it in a very inconvenient to access location!

hardtailonly

It’s my birthday on the 18th, so not a good month to go AF. I’m mostly a weekend only drinker, and since my wife gave up 2 years ago, it’s easier to stick to w/e’s. I’ll maybe give it a go from February, done it before for 3 months or so and it wasn’t too hard.

robowns
    Free Member

I’m doing it for the first time ever. Probably haven’t been 5 days without drinking in 5 years (and most times I drink it’s at least 5 pints or equiv.). Want to get a good January of training in.

chestrockwell

Not sure if I’ve commented before but my wife and I are in. I’ll go further if necessary too as I have a weight goal to hit.

Don’t usually bother with non-alcohol beers but I tried the Guinness version the other day and thought it was actually pretty decent.

pondo

Well bollocks – got hamstring-ouch getting ON the bloody bike during a horrible ride. 🙁 This time last year that would have been reason to go home via the beer shop for sure – today, I think not. 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

In. Got a belly and zero fitness after a stressful 6 months and a glutinous xmas. Fridge is full of Beck’s blue for the placebo effect.

pobaker
    Free Member

After all the recent rain, I’m well up for a dry January and some fast running trails!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A week in and going well. Was round at friend’s for dinner and no urge to have wine or anything.

DrP

Still going strong here..
    Had a lovely pub lunch on Monday.. couple of Pepsi treated me just fine!

DrP

mos

Managed 1 day where I could still legally drive so far, otherwise I seem to be going in the wrong direction. It just tastes so good and makes me feel good too.

iainc

Had a couple on Sat and sun, but otherwise not missing it !

Mister-P
    Free Member

Pretty easy so far, not fancied a drink at all. I think over consumption on NYE followed by covid have probably helped. Not felt ill but don’t want to risk extending my isolation period by not looking after my body. Next week when I am free to go to the pub it may beca different kettle of fish.

TiRed

Inadvertently I seem to have joined in mutual support of my sister. But I am not the core demographic (3 units per week average). Elderflower cordial and tonic water is a fine substitute for G&T. Just saying, thank me later…

DrP

(tail between legs…)

I failed.. 🙁

After the Brass Monkey Race on sunday I had a lovely glass of red to sooth the legs and help me sleep (been getting bad restless legs!!).

What a quitter!!!

DrP

iainc

^^^ I think one or 2 are ok… I had a large G&T Sat and a single beer Sunday..

muggomagic

Still going but mainly as I’ve a liver scan on Friday and I want my liver in tip top shape for that (as best as it can be anyway), but after that I’m off to the Amex to watch Brighton v Palace, so have no doubt that I’ll need a few drinks to settle the nerves (I truly hate these games).

captain_bastard
    Free Member

I’m doing it, love going down the pub with mates, celebrating the end of a ride with a pint or three, or toasting the end of a working day. So that means pretty much every day see’s me with a drink in my hand.

Thus far finding it plain sailing. Been away working with mates, every evening in the pub and no problem sticking to sodas. Probably last until mid February so I don’t fall into the Feb 2nd hangover trap!

TBH I don’t feel any different, guess I’ll need to give it a while longer, or I really wasn’t drinking enough

Also given up sugar, that’s something I intend to stick with permanently

richardkennerley

Stuck with no booze so far including the funeral/wake I attended on Monday. Want planning on drinking a lot there but thought I might have a pint at least, but decided not to. Definitely sleep deeper, but don’t feel otherwise energised or anything. Still miserable/grumpy as sin for a while in the morning!

Just having one “real” coffee in the morning then decaff after that. That’s been ok, no real cravings for that, but again, no other change to how I feel.

Cut down on snacking on biscuits and the like but not cut it out as much as I should yet.

Going to a gig on Saturday. I would normally expect to drink a few, not gonna beat myself up if I do, but might try and abstain.

DrP

For me, snacks is probably the harder thing to curb!!!

I DO feel guilty for not making it through, but I guess I can only move forward, adn try to improve the relationship with alcohol (i.e NOT having a drink every eve..>)..

DrP

wors

Although he did say I should drink more Weißbier than Helles (lager) as it’s full of minerals.

Alpin. I love you ❤️❤️

Mister-P
    Free Member

I guess I can only move forward, adn try to improve the relationship with alcohol (i.e NOT having a drink every eve..>)..

I fell into this trap at the end of last year. I would switch my laptop off and grab a beer to mark the end of the working day. Sometimes it was just the one, other times a few more. It’s an easy habit to get into and taking some time off drinking in Jan should help to reset it.

toby1

I’m not doing dry Jan, but one thing that’s helped me cut back on drinking I’d developing IBS which kicks in after beer. I love beer and have yet to find much to drink that replaces it, so I’m drinking less as a result of not wanting to lie in bed painfully gassy every time I drink.

Wine is ok, but it’s no beer!

pondo

Our demi-sec January/February is proceeding on course – we have Fridays off, went out last weekend and we were both asleep in front of the telly by half ten. 🙂 Been exercising a bit and eating healthier (will be fairly healthy once all the Christmas treats are gone), and I’m seeing a difference on the scales, I’m 10lbs lighter than I was, hungover first thing on the first of January, with minimal effort, occasional treats and a significantly healthier bank balance. This probably says more about how badly I was living before. 🙂

Staying on track has been fairly easy, but… – Mrs Pondo just mentioned takeaway in passing yesterday (in a “you’ll need to be strong because I want to break” way) and instantly in my head we were having Chinese and beer for tea. I’m glad she was strong when she got home – she’s got more willpower than me!

tcomc1000
    Free Member

2 weeks tonight for me, which is good going as I was previously drinking a pint or two after work and then maybe a bottle or more pints when I got home.
    As someone else said, not feeling the extra energy yet ( but I do have two children) but I am sleeping better and I no longer have black holes where my eyes should be.

weight loss has been great, I know a lot is bloat but hoping to break 5 kilos tomorrow

start fresh Drp! And thanks for starting this

chestrockwell

All good so far here with only a few times I’ve fancied a drink. Sleeping deeper, getting up easier and feel more cheerful with a longer fuse so happy with that. I also have more motivation and am planning bike rides rather than wasting the mornings looking at forums!

el_boufador

I’m still going. 2 weeks in. It’s been fine.

Noticeably better sleep quality. I think I have dropped a bit of weight (jeans seeming looser)

That’s kind of surprising because i am locked up with COVID at present so I have been a long way less active than usual.

didnthurt

I go through periods of not drinking but I don’t do it to reduce my alcohol intake, it’s calories that concern me. Easiest way to lose weight in my opinion.

Pieface

I started dry January on the 6th, it always starts when I go back to work, but then I’ll keep going through to the first social engagement in February, which is the 16th or thereabouts (I know, I need to get out more). I find it helps me sleep better, lose the Xmas lard (I tned to work my way through a big bag of crisps after a few beers, also I’m injured so can’t run / cycle ATM). I’ve done it a few times and find it quite easy, the best thing is waking up on weekends with a clear head and great energy levels.

I tried AF beer but it seems completely pointless and expensive, if I do need to chug something fizzy its a pint of sparkling water.

jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

I’m in but I started late on the 6th as I had to finish the xmas booze. TBH I need to wind my neck in with the booze as I’ve been hitting it hard for the last few months and lots of extra belly has appeared. I worked out the calorie count for my boozing habit and it equalled an extra weeks worth of food per month!

Also going to stop using the canteen at work for 2nd breakfasts and lunches. A quick total on the calculator says I could be £260 a month better off.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Dry January… who’s up for it?!’ is closed to new replies.