• This topic has 135 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • Dry January… who’s up for it?!
  • Daffy

Dry January is just dumb. All the booze from Christmas left over, crap weather, having to go back to work, etc. dry February is an easier sell – it’s shorter and lighter too.

cheers_drive

I do dry January every year combined with cutting out all sweet snacks. I find it easy to do the month and often continue in to February a bit but the bad habits always come back in until by the following January my body needs a reset.
    This year I want to kick the sweet snacks for good but happy with returning to a few weekend drinks after January.

alpin
    Free Member

My BIL does no sugar January with the kids.

Each to their own.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

You sound bitter.

scratch
    Free Member

I’m in but like a few on here it’s a continuation rather than a new start – last drop of booze was mid-June this year, was happy to have passed 6 months this month, no real reason but I’d been knocking back a bottle of wine with a few beers to myself on a Friday / Saturday. Plus whenever I did go out for weekend beers with mates I could never just say no, like there’s no off switch saying ‘thats probably enough now, maybe have a water’, I bloody loved drinking for the great taste of beer, nothing else really, but kind of felt time to give it rest.

Not sure if I’ll go full TT but can’t see a reason to go back at the moment, it’s also saving me a small fortune. Brooklyn Special Effects gets me through most Fri/Sat nights now.

jimster01

After a bout of covid I’m intending to up my game next year….

RobHilton
    Free Member

You sound bitter.

Wonderful!

iainc

I do this quite often, though not every year, so think will give it a go this time.

plus-one

I’m nearly finished cannae remember December 🙂

muggomagic

I’m going to go on another drink free period after tonight (there’s a bottle of Moët that I got from work that we’ve been saving for New Years).
    I did 60 days from Sept to Nov this year which is the longest I’d gone without booze since I was about 18. Had a few beers on my birthday which broke the streak and while I’m not drinking at the levels or as regularly as I was at before I stopped, I do feel that all the benefits I enjoyed on that extended break are beginning to get lost.

richardkennerley

It’s already started for me, on-call tonight so no boozing anyway! Still got a lot of chocolate snacks to get out the way this weekend and I’ll try to get my hands on some decent decaff coffee in time for work next week. Then the grim times can really start!

chestrockwell

I’m in and intend on changing my attitude to alcohol this year.

iancity1
    Free Member

I’m in too, hopefully for the long term and not just the month…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why in the name of all that is unholy would you choose the coldest, darkest, most miserable month of the year to give up one of the few things that make it remotely bearable?

Tbh it’s the perfect time to do it. **** spending the whole of the coldest, darkest, grimmest of months hungover, fat and crabbit! 😆

iainc

^^^ you been speaking to my wife Mr B ? 🤪

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t believe you could ever be crabbit Mr C!

iainc

Aye…right…😁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not a chance. I’ve lost around 17-18lbs since August just by cutting down carbs. A couple of G&T’s on a weekend instead of ‘some bottles of ale’ has certainly helped.

rexated
    Free Member

‘Dry January….who’s up for it?!’

Cue lots of sanctimonious posts of why it is pointless or a bad idea, , the wrong month to do it, or how you’ve not being drinking for ages, or have lost weight doing something else.

Inspirational, this place, it really is.

retrorick

Not me.
    2 birthdays and a holiday (plus quarantine 🤔).
    Might do February dry, as it’s short and I’ll be fat.

dyna-ti

I drink between two and three bottles of Rum per year. I think this makes be exempt.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cue lots of sanctimonious posts of why it is pointless or a bad idea, , the wrong month to do it, or how you’ve not being drinking for ages, or have lost weight doing something else.

Inspirational, this place, it really is.

I see a bit of ironing.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Sounds like a fun idea? Sorry just realised you are being serious….

Alcohol is not the answer, however it is a good interim solution.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dry all January so far. Go team me!

jonnyboi

Doing well so far!

slowoldman

For the first time in years I’m thinking it might be good idea.

mogrim

I’m starting on Monday, which is when I’m back to work (not a holiday here).

jimster01

Does seem hard to start on a non-school night

scotroutes

If you’re still at school then you shouldn’t really be drinking anyway.

pondo

Mrs Pondo has negotiated it to a semi-dry January and February, where we can have a few drinks if we go out on Friday night. Will see how that goes.

chipps

I like the idea of a semi-dry Jan and Feb. My wife’s birthday is Jan 20th, so that’s out (it’s a big one this year, too…) and it’s my birthday in Feb, so a dry Feb is out. A demi-sec Jan/Feb seems a good compromise. I could do with cutting down in general, but it’s been a bit of a big year, in many ways, so drinks (and weight) have drifted up slowly all year.

Mind you, I’m not starting until this Monday. You can’t start a dry new year on a Saturday!

richardkennerley

I’m on call again tonight, kinda forces the issue!

iainc

Yeah, I normally start it on the 2nd or 3rd too, New Years day needs gin and wine and steak pie here.. 🥧🤪

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

gin and wine and steak pie

You new towners have some odd mixers.

iainc

^^^^ not all in the same tumbler mind you 🤪

tomtomthepipersson

I’ll start after the weekend when I’m back at work.

Up until December I had a pretty dry 14 months. Was a half-bottle of wine a night drinker for years. Breaking that habit was very liberating – but very easy to slip back into.

dyna-ti

So what kind of non alcoholic cocktails and drinks would people recommend as an alternative ?.

Sweet, mango based and fizzy 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s been so long I dont bother any more tbh, cuppa tea is about it.

Soda water was my go to when I chucked the beer though, cold and fizzy.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I seem to have settled on the Brewdog AF range, predominantly Nanny State but just enjoying some Elvis Juice tonight. £34 for 48 cans delivered and okay to drink and Nanny State is only 29 cal per can so almost diet beer.

It still tastes a bit like beer squash.

You know how orange squash, even the good stuff, never actually tastes like orange juice? Turns out AF beer is the same but still an awful lot of undrinkable ones out there so try a couple before ordering in bulk.

jonnyboi

Guinness 0% is by far the best one I have tried, ghost ship also drinkable.

Think I tried the nanny state once and found it too sharp, but might try again.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.