• This topic has 135 replies, 82 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Dry January… who’s up for it?!
  • DrP

I know I know.. what a daft Xmas day post..
    I acknowledge I clearly drink far too much.. not too the point of it being damaging, yet… but I could deffo do with cutting down!

So me and the OH are doing dry Jan…
    Will be interesting to see what changes in the body+mind it brings about..

Anyone else in?

DrP

Spin
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m in. Need to make a few changes on that front, been drinking too much for a few months now.

Drac

Nope!

DrP

@drac 🤣🤣😂
    Numpty!

DrP

schmiken

Having been teetotal for three years now I’m in, but not sure how helpful that is!

grum
    Free Member

Aren’t things like dry January a fad with no proven long term reduction in consumption? Instead of doing a faddy thing why not just cut down/cut it out longer term? Or at least let me enjoy my Xmas booze in peace 😛

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just had four weeks of not drinking, for no particular reason, so why?

stumpyjon

Nope, I have many vices but drinking too much isn’t one of them. I like a drink, can put away a bottle of red quite happily and then go weeks without feeling the need for more. Good luck to those doing it but may be rather than a dry January aim for a moist 2022 rather than one sloshing about.

ducatimonster
    Free Member

How about a ‘drink in moderation January’ for those of us who have a degree of self control.;)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m in

MoreCashThanDash

I’m very behind with my Brewdog advent calendar, so it’s a no from me!

Kuco

I’m with Drac on this.

scotroutes

Not me. Good luck to all those taking part though. I know these threads can offer good support and encouragement when the willpower is lacking.

richardkennerley

I’m doing it to help give my ibs a break. See if it reduces my symptoms. Also trying to drink decaff coffee only and eat less crap in an evening. Good times ahead!! 🤣

In the meantime, I’ve got some lovely Vocation brews to get through and some Ethiopian fully caffeinated fresh coffee to consume 👌

Funeral on 10th of Jan will be an exception though.

devash
    Free Member

Count me in. This January (2021) was the first year that I made it through the whole month, then I continued through February and March. Completely readjusted my relationship to alcohol and now I hardly drink.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to a wet January, but very much doubt I’ll get one :-(.

Not been able to drink more than a centilitre of alcohol without a hideous hangover since Covid started in Feb 2020.

Have moved to alcohol free but it’s not very nice.

Also have some 2% supermarket cooking lager in the garage which I will try when this bout of covid ends.

So no, no desire whatsoever to do a dry January but probably will do one not out of choice.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m….considering it

The missus wants to, so I’m already half in. Hmmmmm 🤔

shermer75
    Free Member

Nope, I have many vices but drinking too much isn’t one of them. I like a drink, can put away a bottle of red quite happily and then go weeks without feeling the need for more. 

Definitely an alcoholic

chakaping
    Free Member

Count me in. This January (2021) was the first year that I made it through the whole month, then I continued through February and March. Completely readjusted my relationship to alcohol and now I hardly drink.

Sorry mate, didn’t you read Grum’s post. It’s just a pointless fad.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

So i have to drink twice as much in February, no thanks.

binners

Are you insane?

Why in the name of all that is unholy would you choose the coldest, darkest, most miserable month of the year to give up one of the few things that make it remotely bearable?

Sod that! 😃

ajantom

Nope. I did dry November due to Covid.

Drunk January though, I’m in 😉

whatgoesup

Pretty much stopped drinking in August – have lost 16kg with another 5+ to go, have more energy, wake up every day feeling fresh, sleep better, plain feel better all around.

So probably “yes” but as more of a lifestyle choice than a single month challenge.

grum
    Free Member

Sorry mate, didn’t you read Grum’s post. It’s just a pointless fad.

Well that’s great that it’s worked for him but from what I’ve seen the evidence is quite mixed (you know, like a DRINK) as to whether it’s helpful for most people.

I’ve barely drunk since COVID anyway, mostly just doesn’t feel fun any more. I will share a bottle of prosecco with the missus at some point today though.

CountZero

Apart from a couple of pints on a Friday and Saturday evening, I’ve not even had alcohol in the house for weeks. I’ve spent £150 on beer and spirits over the last week, so no, definitely not!

pothead
    Free Member

Sod that! 😃

Couldn’t have put it better without swearing

Drac

Definitely an alcoholic

Nah! Pure amateur, can only drink one bottle of red and takes weeks to recover.

Caher

Nope, keep to having a drink on a non-school night only.

alpin
    Free Member

No bloody way! There’s a reason I drink and take drugs. It’s called reality.

The doc told me last week to increase my fluid intake or risk another bout of kidney stones. Fortunately, this being Bavaria he wasn’t shocked nor alarmed that I usually drink four or five beers a day in the workshop. Although he did say I should drink more Weißbier than Helles (lager) as it’s full of minerals.

Despite drinking far too many units a week (often get through two or three bottles of wine during the week), I’ve still managed to get rid of my corona gut from last year. Dropped 5kg in the last couple of months.

joat

I’m dry one week in four anyway due to work call-out. I’ll cut back the rest of the time in the new year when I self impose no beer on a training night, so three times a week most likely. When I do drink it’s seldom more than one, or maybe two at the weekend. What I think of as being drunk might happen only two or three times a year, if this changes I’ll probably reassess my relationship with alcohol.

So, er, No!

CheesybeanZ

I’m in , going to support a good friend who’s having serious heart problems.
    Consultant told him very clearly to change his lifestyle- over drinking being a major part of the change.

cyclelife
    Free Member

The only two months in the year where I definitely beedcto drink – January and February – so no!

oldfart

Only drink about 4 pints a week if that so not much point . Mentioned it to my mate this morning and he said but how many January’s have we got left ? 😞

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Can we have a dry as in no rain?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Dry January… who’s up for it?!

No

binners

Can we have a dry as in no rain?

I wouldn’t mind a repeat of Liverpool’s dry January from last year, where they went the whole month without scoring 😃

pondo

I’m in.

onewheelgood

how many January’s have we got left ?

Very good point. At my age it’s probably not that many, so spending one dry seems to be a bit of a waste for me. Those who feel that they need to though, best of luck with it.

csb

I love getting pissed with my mates and hated not being able to in a nice warm bar last year during lockdowns. So this year I aim to do so as often as compliantly possible.

colinrobinson215
    Free Member

Went out with mates a few weeks ago for first time in ages. Meeting place was miles away for me so a taxi was going to cost a fortune. I drove, didn’t drink, had a great time, drove home, felt fine next day. Didn’t feel like I’d missed out so happy to keep doing it into next year. Hopefully save a bit of money and lose a bit of weight on the way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Dry January… who’s up for it?!’ is closed to new replies.