Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 388 total)
  • Dry January 2024..
  • Dickyboy

Wife’s birthday on Wednesday, so we’re planning to fail at the last hurdle – quite interested to see how easily we’ll get pissed after a month of abstention 🫣

Haze

Had a few on Saturday, we were out with friends and since I’ve more than met my expectations I’m happy to indulge (moderately!) when there’s good reason.

Sunday morning was a nice reminder of why I want to get into better habits, I stayed dry the rest of the day and didn’t fall into the trap of chasing the hangover.

Back to feeling brighter this morning and watching my weight slowly trend downwards 👍

susepic

@jeffl I have noticed a very similar pattern with my sleep and resting HR. Also my HRV has improved, and my beat-to-beat interval extended. (can’t export my data from polar quite so nicely tho)

It feels really good, and I’ve only had one poor night’s sleep since Jan 2, and that was a late curry rather than booze.  Very keen to keep that sleep and HR improvement going, so need to think about what Feb looks like

Samsung doesn’t give quite as much detail for sleep patterns as Garmin, but one thing I have noticed this month – my blood oxygen is consistently higher (a good thing)

elray89
    Free Member

Slightly weird thing – been weighing myself (but naked, straight after getting out of bed) every few days since the start of the year. in the first 2 weeks I lost 2Kg, but have not lost anything at all in the last 2 weeks, just been floating around the same number.

This is despite the fact that I am *definitely* getting smaller – i.e. one of my waterproofs fits me noticeably looser than it did 2 weeks ago, and it was pretty much too tight around Christmas time, and I can now button up all the buttons on a size M flannel shirt which I couldn’t do a few weeks ago haha. Even my face is a bit trimmer. I do feel like I prefer this metric but it’s a bit unscientific.

I’ve done about 2 weights sessions this year and otherwise just been riding/running/zwifting loads so if anything I expect I would have lost muscle too. Curious! I’m not super bothered as I am feeling a lot fitter and spritelier but it would be nice to slightly raise the old W/Kg figure lol.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Had a Butcombe Goram AF 0.05%”

Thank you, I shall see if I can find some of that as I like the full strength stuff.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Is that using the Garmin watch, or the chest strap?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Here we are then, the last day of Jan.  Who is still with us?  Who’s going to celebrate with a drink tomorrow and who is going to keep the dryness going?  I’m going for no booze February at least.

mogrim

As mentioned above somewhere, I’m doing a Damp January, and the plan is to keep it going at the very least until Valentine’s Day, and ideally beyond that keep following the same plan as @mrb123:

Post January I’m thinking of trying to follow a “rule of threes”, I.e. maximum of 3 drinks, 3 days a week.

(and that would be Fri/Sat/Sun, strictly nothing during the week).

I’ve been more or less doing that this month, and according to my Garmin it’s fine (i.e. the beer has no noticeable effect) when it comes to sleep and recovery.

chakaping
    Free Member

Still here (apart from my aforementioned 3-pint night off).

Got a couple of nights out with drink planned in Feb, but mainly looking at reducing home drinking significantly (since nights out are not v common).

One of my colleagues, also doing DJ, has suggested that a few of us have a Teams call with a drink at the end of today to celebrate.

I’m gonna pass on that 😀

Ironic as part of our business is helping people make healthy changes like this.

devash
    Free Member

Still in it, if eating a rum chocolate truffle yesterday doesn’t count.

I am going to celebrate tonight with a nice cold 0.0% beer and keep it going into February. Had the best sleep in years this month and saved a ton of cash.

Here we are then, the last day of Jan.  Who is still with us?  Who’s going to celebrate with a drink tomorrow and who is going to keep the dryness going?  I’m going for no booze February at least.

As mentioned before – Jan, Feb and March as a minumum goal for me.

I’m aiming to not have a beer until it’s officially beer garden weather, then I may be tempted

warton
    Free Member

I’m still here, and will be for the foreseeable…

trying to get some erdinger grapefruit in North Tyneside is impossible…

stumpy01

Still going on the dry January & not sure I really have much inclination to change things going into Feb.

Weight still not really shifting despite me cutting out loads of booze calories & the associated munchies that go with it.
    I’m also eating much better with less snacking & eating mainly fruit for snacks while at work.
    Debating giving MyFitnessPal a go for a few weeks, just to track whether I am being as good as I think I am.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m aiming to not have a beer until it’s officially beer garden weather”

A cunning plan, I like that.

devash
    Free Member

Ah yeah, beer garden weather might upset my plan of going a full year with no booze.

Haze

Also my HRV has improved

Have noticed this also.

Got a couple of birthdays to get through in Feb including my own, but generally I’ll carry this on as I’m fairly confident they won’t lead me back into old habits.

Mallorca in March usually involves a post-ride beer or two but should be fine as it never gets excessive!

iainc

have had 3 nights off in the month, and 3 ‘home measure’ drinks on each of those nights, so pretty pleased with it and will keep the approach going for the foreseeable I reckon.

rascal
    Free Member

Still in. Met friends out for food last night – had a Ghost Ship 0.5% which was awful, so followed that with a Doom Bar version which was beyond bad…disgusting even. Guinness 0% is very nice in comparison.

It’ll be a AF Peroni in the pub post-ride later, then meeting a mate tomorrow afternoon for a few pints of 4.6% Blue Monkey Infinity 🍺🍺.

I plan on not drinking as much as I used to though as I find the Guinness like nice in its own right.

I plan on not drinking as much as I used to though

I do a month or more off each (well most) year/s and always finish with this sentiment. It generally lasts a little while until my addictive personality gets the better of me and I return to normal (read excessive) consumption levels before too long

superfli
    Free Member

I have certainly slept and recovered better over the last month. Generally got a bit more energy, although feeling just as knackered in the mornings. I have been running more this month too. 3-4 times a week whereas it was 2-3max. I hate to say it, but my performance is better and I feel at my fittest for a quite some time. This is not just cutting out alcohol, but also strict counting of my calories, drinking 2ltrs of water a day and no caffeine after 2pm.

Garmin stats are pretty conclusive too – really good to see it like this. Stats since Oct:

Body Battery score:

HR:

Sleep score:

Granted, I did have my 50th birthday in Oct, Fat Boy Slim long weekender in Nov, and Xmas/NYE in Dec, but still you can see the fluctuations throughout the months.

nickb

Still in, even on Feb 1st! Will see how the month goes…

Also seen similar benefits in Garmin-measured sleep score, resting heart rate and HRV 🙂

sirromj

I didn’t start in the first so going up to the weekend…. Lol tomorrow in other words 🥳

susepic

Well I’ve done my 31 days, and not feeling any need to have a drink.

Having those sleep scores and HRV improvements as objective evidence alongside feeling better has increased the incentive to keep going

A mate has just ticked off a year without a drink, and feeling good on it….

Superficial
    Free Member

I haven’t drank for Jan. Can’t say I feel any different for it. Really looking forward to having some beers tonight. That’s not how it’s supposed to work, is it?

davy90
    Free Member

Had a few glasses of wine last night at an office social, not feeling too bad considering my last drink was Jan 1st…. But so tired now.. got in at 1am after the world’s most circuitous Uber ride to drop off colleagues… As a result, will skip the cycle commute today..

Just feel old…

Simon

I didn’t manage the full dry January, I drank on three occasions but it’s broken the habit of drinking most nights, which for me is a win. Sleeping better, resting HR a bit lower, trousers not feeling as tight but disappointingly only lost a couple of kgs!

pisco

My dry January was completed successfully. After an initial 2kg lost, there has been no subsequent weight loss.

Sleep seems about the same, the only difference is that in January I didn’t eat a curry at 10pm and have a disrupted sleep.

So I had a couple of beers last night, and got a bit tipsy. One thing I didn’t consider: I’ve been learning piano since December, playing each evening and making good progress. Last night, I had a go and was totally crap! A lot of the technique, muscle memory and timing had temporarily deserted me.

Dry January allows you to step back and evaluate when, if at all, drinking is worth it, or are you just doing it through habit. I’m still figuring it out.

bikerevivesheffield

Still going here and no desire to give up

Also doing cold showers, breath work and yoga every day

petedee
    Free Member

Still going strong. Also switched to plant-based with meat once a week. Lost 5kg. Sleeping much better. Fitness coming on. Shaping up. More energy. More reasons to keep going than not. Not missing it.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Still going here. First time I’ve watched rugby sober in a long time today!

Started sleeping a bit better these past few nights, most of January was incredibly stressful so sleep wasn’t great. Really enjoying being out of the habit of regular drinking.

steve-g
    Free Member

Having done 3 nights in hospital mid month, then had a week recovering at home, then not recovering I am now on day 9 of a second stint in hospital, all of which has made dry january very easy.

Had lost 7kg when I was weighed on my way in 9 days ago, with a load of muscle wastage from being in bed all day it’s probably more than that now.

Won’t be able to get back on the beers immediately when I get out, it will be a bit of a journey back to full fitness. Having stopped drinking in November, and with a couple of months to recover I could be looking at 5 months without drinking with a short Xmas exception.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Well I did 5 weeks no drama.

But went out last night and had a couple of pints and a couple of Bacardi’s. Not drunk, no hangover, no icky feeling. Just proved to myself it can be done, I lost weight and I don’t need to be drinking a glass or two every day with an excuse it’s “just with dinner”. Oddly, my mate knew I’d not been drinking and bought me a double espresso in a glass with ice in. He’s Russian and has a strong accent – not sure what they heard him ask for but was in the middle of skankin out to some drum and bass and he just passes me an ice coffee!?!?!

Actually, what got me most was the price of the first 2 beers I bought (one for me, one for a mate). $26 for two pints!

Was sat watching a film with the Mrs last night and we commented how normal it felt to be sat there sober on a Saturday night and how odd that a few weeks ago we’d have been climbing the walls without a drink in hand

Kryton57

Forgive me for not reading through all pages, but anyone hear in the “can’t be arsed with that” camp?    For reasons I’m doing dry Feb, but sitting here thinking I’m worked long enough, busy, stressed etc not to enjoy life with a couple of drinks from time to time.

As it don’t normally drink in the week anyway it especially hits hard that I’m eliminating a small joy from life.

nickb

Sunday evening, Sunday Roast, couple of glasses of red wine – first drink for 35 days. Nice to have a glass of wine, but after a month+ off I feel like I can easily reduce on what I was drinking in December!

Daffy

I sort of get where you’re coming from @kryton57, but it’s also nice to know that you can stop if you put your mind to it, that it is a choice to use it rather than a crutch which is needed.

That’ my reasoning for doing a few dry months per year.  Harder this February as the house is still sloshing with drink due to under-imbibing over November/Christmas/January.

teenrat

I successfully completed dry January. I didn’t miss drinking at all.

I had a pint on Saturday, didn’t enjoy it and instantly regretted having it.

I’m now on dry February.

However, the long term goal is that any alcohol consumption is a special occasion and not the norm.

onehundredthidiot

4 week sleep score had 4pints at a 40th on Friday and a couple of glasses of red on Saturday.

jeffl

Still mostly not drinking. Wife had some wine the other night, I had a couple of sips but wasn’t that fussed about drinking more. Think I’ve broken the cycle, as previously I would have smashed through a bottle on my own.

Went out for a pub meal with my parents yesterday and Guinness zero did a great job, as water gets a bit tiring and I’m not a huge fan of sweet drinks.

Trying to think now what occasion will make me want to have a drink and struggling to come up with something.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 388 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.