Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 197 total)
  • Driving at "Driving Test" standard.
  • Smudger666

Bought my examiner a bottle of vodka the night before my test 🙂
    Ordered him not to drink it till the next night.
    Passed first time.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

“Show me how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.”

Errrm, how do you check it then?

Obviously, they hadn’t invented that when I took my test – and passed first time of course 😀

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You check it by holding the steering wheel and starting the car. If you can move the steering wheel easily with the engine running then the power steering is working. Simple really.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

When I finally did pass I only got 1 minor (bit annoying really, I went round a corner in 3rd muttered to myself ‘should of done that in 2nd’, examiner grinned said ‘oh’ and gave me a minor for it).

Bit of a pr!ck!!!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Personnally I say abolish driving tests and everyone should drive a car like they would ride a bike:

-Jump Reds
    -Mount the pavement at random
    -Bang on the roof of anyones car who gets a bit too close
    -Race strangers.
    -Disconnect your brakes and clutch and stay stuck in one, slightly too high, gear, whilest wearing hippster girls jeans and getting in everyones way (But looking “Bang on trend”)…
    -Drive home drunk along the pavement late at night with a plastic bag full of tennants attached to one side of the steering wheel…
    -Do massive Wheelies/Skid/Endos whenever possible.
    -Only ever drive anywhere when wearing suitable (expensive) clothing and a hydration pack, even if your just poping down the shops.

All of the above as applicable…

😆 😆 I like that Lol..

michaelmcc
    Free Member

This will sound a harsh – it’s meant to. You failed your test because you aren’t yet safe to be allowed to drive by yourself on public roads. Observation and car control are the basic skills needed to drive safely and you dont ahve them yet. Come on – how difficult is it to stop a car rolling back on a hill?

As for he pull-push method of steering – it is by far the safest method of steering. Just think how you’d steer away from some plonker who stepped out in front of you at a junction if you had your hands all crossed up.

Contrary to popular belief, the way you are taught to drive IS the best way to drive. All of this “you only learn to drive after you pass your test” stuff is absolute bollocks. You only learn to drive badly after you pass your test.

I am glad you failed your test.

Rant over.

Sounds like you might have your head slightly up your ass there…
    I always look before turning or changing lanes, i may not have cocked my head 45 degrees and take my eyes off the road to make it obvious, but i think thats a bit picky. To say I’m unsafe isn’t very fair, I can drive really well, maybe not just to the way you need to drive in the test. No one I know drives the same way you were taught in the test.. most of my mates try to hit roundabouts at speed and hit the apex. Obv you would fail if you did this in a test. Not saying its safe but its how people drive..
    Get off your high horse… 🙄

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I failed my first test for speeding (33mph through a 30mph zone DOH!), second for hesitation puling out on to Leeds ring road during rush hour, passed third time.

I certainly drive with great awareness in built up areas, pretty much anywhere with housing or paths, but on motorways I go too fast

imnotverygood

I had an aunt who failed multiple times. One failure she said: “I knew the examiner hated me. Every time I changed gear he deliberately threw himself forward in his seat.”

& OP: I’m afraid to say that every time you post, you show everyone here exactly why you failed.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

& OP: I’m afraid to say that every time you post, you show everyone here exactly why you failed.

You weren’t in the car so I don’t know what you’re saying… 🙄

Another “driving god” you are i suspect 🙄

Nonsense
    Free Member

I passed on my second go, the nerves have a massive effect on your performance so it’s not really a true reflection of your ability.

I’m an advanced police pursuit trained driver now. If you think your driving test was hard try being assessed three times a day whilst giving a running commentary driving at 100mph plus chasing a police driving instructor who occasionally slams on the brakes and starts reversing towards you at high speed.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve had the good luck to do my driving test 4+ times.

1st motorbike at 17 (Ireland) – failed first time, passed second.

2nd – car at 18 (Ireland). Passed.

3rd – car (uk) at 25 – passed.

4th – motorbike (uk) 26 – passed.

IAM / police thingy – 32 – pass.

My BIL teaches blues and 2’s for a living. His only instant blocker for anyone getting an advanced test is – an unwillingness to learn. Simple. If during an advanced test he says “that was a bit close” – never ever get near doing that again. Ever. The normal driving test is the same – your tester is getting tense near a T-juction, you should know / learn that you’ve fkd up. If you mess up – say so.

Lastly – the day you pass your test is the day you really start to learn. And if you drive for a living expect the police to be stricter than a head teacher on you about rules and regs (inc tyres, load limits etc etc).

GrahamS

most of my mates try to hit roundabouts at speed and hit the apex.

😯 Don’t take any lessons from those mates eh!

Not saying its safe but its how people drive..

Not me. I try to stay in the correct lane on roundabouts. I find it helps to avoid other cars ploughing into me!

(And I wouldn’t rate myself as a “driving god” or even just a “good driver”)

Sandwich

You have no idea what SBZ used to do, have you? You’re not ready to drive unsupervised and not mature enough to recognise this yet.
    Patience padawan, it all comes to he who waits (and practices assiduously).

In another couple of years, I’ll be finding a defensive driving coach and having another day out driving. It keeps you sharp and helps roll back the bad habits.

tandemwarriors

I always look before turning or changing lanes, i may not have cocked my head 45 degrees and take my eyes off the road to make it obvious

Ah, the old wives tale of ‘make it obvious so the examiner can see you’re looking’. You aren’t moving your head to make it obvious, you’re moving your head to allow your eyes look into a blindspot that they simply can’t see without moving your head, which may be the one thing between you and another dead motorcyclist.
    The examiner (and any decent instructor) isn’t watching your head, we’re watching where you LOOK, ie where your eyes point. You can shake your head side to side without ever moving your eyes from the car infront! What you can’t see, you don’t know about.

Your instructor should go through the sheet and work with you on the areas in question. To be honest I feel ashamed if a pupil gets into double figures on driver (minor) faults. It does sound like you’ve been put in for test too soon.

bongo136
    Free Member

Passed first time 3 weeks ago… If you roll back its an automatic fail as you are not in control of the car. 🙄

Cougar

I can drive really well… most of my mates try to hit roundabouts at speed and hit the apex… its how people drive.

Do me (and yourself) a favour, print that comment out, and revisit it in about ten years. It’ll take longer, but it’ll save us a lot of typing and it’ll be interesting to read your thoughts then if you’re still on STW.

aracer
    Free Member

most of my mates try to hit roundabouts at speed and hit the apex.

Most of your mates are cocks, and them driving like that, rather than how you’re supposed to in a test just goes to show how important the standard of driving in the test is – at least you have to prove you can drive safely once. I certainly don’t drive like that, and I suspect most people with insurance premiums less than £500 don’t drive like that either. I’d also much rather be in a car driven by somebody driving according to the standard required by the test than by one of your mates (or by you, before or after you pass your test, given the attitude on display here).

I can drive really well, maybe not just to the way you need to drive in the test.

😆 😆 😆 😆 – you can’t pass a test, yet you’re a really good driver – is that based on lap times in Forza then?

You really just don’t get it do you? Maybe you should digest some of the comments being made on here by people who are perfectly capable of driving in the way required to pass the test (hence by definition are better drivers than you).

samuri
    Free Member

I failed my first test.
    The examiner said “Turn right at the mini-roundabout”

I looked at him incredulous, you want me to turn right at the roundabout? Hey, you’re the gaffer, who I am to question your prowess?

A hand brake stop later and I was a failed individual. I’m glad I failed though. Taught me a bit.

20 odd years later, I’m getting better. Maybe I’ll be pretty good in a few years.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I have to say i think most people here wouldn’t have even noticed any of the minor errors i made during the test. The test is just an anal poncy way of driving that isn’t realistic in the real world.

– you can’t pass a test, yet you’re a really good driver – is that based on lap times in Forza then?

I don’t have a clue what that is, sounds like some computer game. I haven’t touched any in over ten years.

aracer
    Free Member

I have to say i think most people here wouldn’t have even noticed any of the minor errors i made during the test. The test is just an anal poncy way of driving that isn’t realistic in the real world.

I’d lay money that you’re wrong – I’m sure most of us here who managed to pass a test, have years of experience and are still capable of driving in the manner required to pass the test would spot them instantly. Of course if “real world” is hitting the apex on roundabouts at speed, then no the test isn’t like that, but then most of the real world isn’t your idiot mates. I hope you don’t pass your next test either if you haven’t improved your attitude by then.

So if your claim to be a really good driver isn’t based on driving ability in a computer game, quite clearly isn’t based on having the necessary skill to pass a test (which is a basic minimum), what is it based on?

Northwind

michaelmcc – Member

So tell us, what did you actually fail for? Totting up of minors? One consistent driving error judged as severe?

I choose to drive a little outside of the test spec when it’s safe to but you say it’s unrealistic? Mmm. That I’m afraid is utter balls. And reflects badly on you, if you mean it seriously, that’s a terrible attitude.

Not to be holier than though, if you were to test me how I choose to drive normally I’d fail no doubt (speeding, and occasionally disregarding a rule when I judge it appropriate.)

poly
    Free Member

CougarDo me (and yourself) a favour, print that comment out, and revisit it in about ten years. It’ll take longer, but it’ll save us a lot of typing and it’ll be interesting to read your thoughts then if you’re still on STW.

Assuming he does somehow pass his test in that time, it seems quite unlikely he’ll survive long enough to do that. Most likely another young male driver dead on a narrow country road, still at least he recognises motorways are dangerous… …just a shame they are actually the safest roads in the country and he hasn’t woken up to the rest!

Edric64
    Free Member

I was a first time passer car and bike and therefore a superior driver ,despite learning in a small town with one set of traffic lights one mini roundabout and no dual carriage way and on a half day closing Weednesday when town was all but deserted

Edric64
    Free Member

‘m an advanced police pursuit trained driver now. If you think your driving test was hard try being assessed three times a day whilst giving a running commentary driving at 100mph plus chasing a police driving instructor who occasionally slams on the brakes and starts reversing towards you at high speed.

And all that without spilling coffee or jam doughnut on your lap

Woody
    Free Member

To say I’m unsafe isn’t very fair, I can drive really well, maybe not just to the way you need to drive in the test

If you can’t do something as simple as drive in the manner required to pass (and no matter what you say, the test is the BASIC requirement), then you definitely shouldn’t pass.

I see enough incompetent idiots every day who obviously could do this during their test.

_tom_
    Free Member

Took me 3 goes to pass. First time I failed because my back tyre scuffed the curb on a parallel park which I thought was a bit harsh, especially as I only had a couple of minors as well. 2nd time I made some stupid mistakes due to nerves and quite rightly didn’t pass.. 3rd one was a piece of piss.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Are you saving up for an Audi too?

robdob
    Free Member

Aracer – the test really is harder nowadays. For different reasons. I did my test 3 times when I was 17, so it would have been 1993. I failed all 3! I passed in 2006 on my 4th attempt because I was older and wiser, plus I didn’t get the panic I did with the examiner next to me like I did when I was younger.

Nowadays you really have to keep up with the traffic, drive at the same pace as everyone else, use your noggin a lot more. In 93 I remember the test being about doing things in a prescribed way in the car. Now that doesn’t matter as much, you are free to drive in slightly different way as long as you are safe, observant, position yourself on the road in the right way. I liked it like that which is maybe why I passed in later life but I can imagine it being difficult for a newbie.

Another big difference nowadays is the amount of traffic on the road. It really does make a huge difference when you are trying to learn to drive – it’s crazy now!

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Yes the test is **** anal, thats the point. Still i think it should be harder because there are some right **** idiots on the road. And about no one noticing your driving faults, im sure they would. I notice every single fault (a normal, ie not police pursuit driver, would make) anyone makes whilst driving. Whether thats me or someone else driving. I quite often tell them about it if i think it will benefit them although most of the time people have a hissy fit if you tell them thy have done something wrong.

For god sake though mate, when you pass do a skid pan course. You’ll realise just how easy it is for your little buddies in their 1.1 saxos to lose control on a roundabout. Even a passenger moving 6 inches can make a car lose control! I was shown this and its scary!

cookeaa

OP I think you do need to adjust your attitude a bit. the test is structured the way it is for a reason. its not an assessment of whether or not you are a “Really good driver” but how safe you are; how aware you are of whats going on around your vehicle, whats coming up that may affect you and how you apply that to the control of your car.

for the purposes of the test you need to suspend your ideas of what constitutes a good driver and think about what the examiner is looking for. He’s not “being anal” he’s doing his job.. Assessing you as the potential opperator of a 2 ton 100mph steel box of death.

Driving with my missus in the car (who is currently learning) the questions she asks and things she spots does highlight just how much my own standards of observation and sloppy habbits can slip in a decade or so of driving. I think all drivers should be open to the idea that they are fallable despite any experience they have and how well their test went many moons ago.

saxabar
    Free Member

I passed recently [first time] and while I cannot comment on past standards, current standards seem to me a minimum. Minor errors allow room for a few innocent/circumstantial cock-ups. I just wish that people would drive with test-level care at all times. If you want thrills, go riding.

Cougar

Incidentally,

WRT straight-lining roundabouts, I see this every day on my drive to work. The problem is, no-one ever checks to see if there’s anything, say, large and grey, already in the inside lane of the roundabout.

I knew everything when I was 18, too. But I’ll tell you this for free; I guarantee, guarantee that with twenty years’ driving experience on top of regularly driving like I stole it, I could out-pace, out-manoeuvre and just generally out-drive any of your mates. And I’d put money on a large percentage of the people here being able to confidently make the same claim. These days I’ve worked out that I don’t have to drive everywhere like my head’s on fire, but I still get the odd Kevin trying it on. It’s funny.

Also, critically, I’d know what to do if my bravery exceeded my ability and it all went wrong. Any halfwit can press the loud pedal and hang on whilst the car propels itself through the line of least resistance. Do you know what to do if you suddenly get massive understeer? Or oversteer? Quickly enough to apply that? Snap your fingers; decided? If not, you do what this fella in the Scooby did outside my house a couple of years ago.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m pleasantly surprised by how this thread has run. What happened to the Ford Focus ST mob that used to post a few years back? Have the wishes I got warned for come true?

billyboulders
    Free Member

Passed first go – many, many years ago now!

I thought I’d failed. When we stopped to do the three point turn a delivery van drew up just past us on the other side of the road then a couple of cars came along behind me. Without thinking I checked the mirror and blind spot, indicated and just drove on. The examiner said “What do you think your doing, I asked you to perform the three point turn?” I said theres no way we could do it here, traffic is building up behind me and people coming the other way might not see us past that van, better find somewhere else to do it. He just directed me back to the test centre and said “You’ve passed” – never did do the maneuver on the test.

khani
    Free Member

Passed first time, although in those days all you had to do was not run over your flag man and keep the steam up…
    It took two attempts for my class 1 hgv though,in an old twinsplit gearbox ERF, that WAS hard…

alpin
    Free Member

passed frist time back in 1999.

two minors…. the one i remember was for turning right when the instructor said “turn left”. i’ve a bit of a right/left weakness.

i’m not sure if i should be re-doing my test in germany as i’ve been resident here for over two years, but each time i’ve been stopped the old bill didn’t worry.

i think the german test is harder and includes 12 hours of classroom learning.

edit: i have a friend who passed on his 13th test. i think he spent over £10k learning to drive. he called out the AA because he couldn’t change a tyre.

alpin
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Z-FmgbFK0&feature=related[/video]

metalheart
    Free Member

I passed 2nd time. Back in the early 80’s pre theory test.
    1st time I started the car up without checking it was in gear. Unfortunately the instructor had moved it just before the test (to make it easier to get out) and had left it in reverse… I then preceeded to gun the throttle to pull out (I’d stalled once on the lesson beforehand) and shot out into the road. I did okay after that though… 😳
    The guy did ask only the very minimum HC questions though.
    2nd time apparently I did something wrong with the lanes on approach to a set of lights. I knew i had it in the bag when the Instructor asked almost half the highway code at the end though. He said he thought I was a bit borderline but with my knowledge of the HC he was prepared to put it down to nerves…
    I have no presumption about being an awesome driving god. 😀
    The feeling after failing was a real low. Equally the high after passing was awesome…
    I have no doubt failing the first time made me a better driver.

aracer
    Free Member

he called out the AA because he couldn’t change a tyre.

To be fair I can’t change a tyre – you need huge tyre levers and maybe a machine for that.

Alex

Passed third time. It was so long ago I can’t really remember why other than being borderline hysterically terrified and something to do with a tractor.

Still I did pass my bike test first time some years later and managed 48 out of 50 on the test someone posted a link to a page or so back.

I do seem to remember my new instructor (after I’d failed twice) remarking – after our first lesson – that even tho I’d driven very slowly I was “unsafe at any speed”. That’s the kind of motivational stuff you need 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘Driving at "Driving Test" standard.’ is closed to new replies.