Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Dream SS bike
  • flashes
    Free Member

Adsh, do you mean Curtis S1 SuperMoto, oooo they make a 29er version too………..

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Tazzy,
    I’d be interested in the Jones andy04665@hotmail.com
    cheers

adsh
    Free Member

Adsh, do you mean Curtis S1 SuperMoto, oooo they make a 29er version too……….

Well yes and no. It’ll be a straight copy of my XC9 (which was custom geo based on my Whyte 29C) but with track dropouts. Not sure what that makes it but the idea is to keep on riding off road next winter.

Though I may start in the summer as I’m getting a bit bored of geared riding

DanW
    Free Member

Hmm, yeah maybe something like that Curtis in aesthetics, but I think I’d be tempted to go 650b. Lefty carbon up front, perhaps some bling King hubs

Lefty you say…. how about a double righty? 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Why are EBB’s the work of the Devil?

I love the look of Singular bikes, bought this frame off a fellow STW’er, Pic prior to me getting some less flexy carbon forks & black stem.

[/url]IMG_1058 by Martin Robbo, on Flickr[/img]

flashes
    Free Member

I thought the ones on my Jones and Stooge, although different were a pain. I like trackends, they work, they’re simples and I do like the uncluttered look….IMHO…..

TheBrick
    Free Member

+1 never understood the problems people have with trackends.

singlespeedstu

Tazzy.
    I can’t believe you’ve still got the Sheep…
    Designed by a retard and must be the only one that’s not broken yet.

tazzymtb

Stu, there’s f-ing loads in the BPR tribe that have lasted years with no problems. Youre just too fat for skinny ti 😉

singlespeedstu

there’s f-ing loads in the BPRlight weight mincers tribe

😛
    One of these days I’ll post up the pics of all cracked Ti I’ve owned. 😥

epicyclo

TheBrick – Member

The problem with trackends is the extra time aligning the wheel and then resetting the disk alignment. Too much faff, especially when the bike is thick with mud.

That’s not a problem with a fixie or SS road bike.

Clink

I love my Trek Superfly ss. Alu but comfy, but pf so dos the fit your criteria. Sliding dropouts though and comes with nice 15mm Carbon fork.

kerley
    Free Member

My dream SS is the one I own

Mine too. One of the great things about SS is that you can build a very nice bike for relatively low money (especially if riding rigid too)

Maybe I just have small dreams but a Ti framed bike with good quality components (Thomson, Hope, XT etc,.) and a weight of 8KG does it for me.

Also like EBBs if you get one that works well and the Bushnell light I am using has been faultless while keep the dropout aesthetically pleasing.

sssimon
    Free Member

I’d like my old one back but a size bigger, still have the nice bits off it so fingers crossed an xl shows up soon!

Cheap and heavy frame and fork but just the most fun bike for a blast round local trail centre stuff and exploring with the kids on holiday

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pq655J]20141016_225239[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

my son already has his dream ss, an adult version would be cool!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sbeK9t]20150504_145817[/url] by simon gardiner, on Flickr

I’ve still got this frame too so maybe do a 650b rebuild some time

honourablegeorge

My lad is on the same Commencal now, loves it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t dislike them, they’re just the least user friendly solution, either requiring tug-nuts or something to stop the wheel moving forwards. OTOH they are the lightet by far.

Paragon/Salsa/whyte/whatever with sliding/swinging dropouts are an improvement, but add clutter.

An EBB is nigh on invisible, works, and allows for a smaller, neater, stronger dropout. But is probably among the heaviest options, unless someone comes out and makes a composite version of the phill wood (I reckon it’s possible, even in something simple like injection molded reinforced nylon).

TBH, tensioners aren’t half as bad as some of the more intricate solutions, they allow quick gearing changes, don’t alter the geometry, no tools required, etc.

Klunk
    Free Member

they’re just the least user friendly solution

don’t seem to have any trouble using a hope bolt up axle no slippage and simple to use.

GregMay
    Free Member

Ti El Marachii could fit nearly all the boxes – if they hadn’t given it that half/half gack paint job.
    The custom longer TT, lower BB version Salsa did for Kurt Refsnider for the TD back in 2011 (??) was most excellent.

For me, it’d pretty much be the geom of the El Mar. but with a slightly longer TT and an EBB.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

don’t seem to have any trouble using a hope bolt up axle no slippage and simple to use.

Requires 2 allen keys to remove the wheel, compared to a QR on any other design?

I didn’t say it was insurmountable, I said least user friendly.

tazzymtb

this was my dream SS for ages, scandy-yummy and carbon with a lovely geometry and lighter than a fairies fart. Went up hill like a monkey with it bum on fire..and with as much yammering and howling from me.

It only went to fund my Ti habit.

takisawa2

Would have to be a Oddity.
    They are simply lovely.

Klunk
    Free Member

Requires 2 allen keys to remove the wheel, compared to a QR on any other design?

nope requires one allen key and I’m already carrying that. are there any tool free ecbb’s ?

GregMay
    Free Member

tazzymtb – a friend has two Selmas, they are flipping ace.

adsh
    Free Member

I’m going trackends as I want light and simple and it worked well on my Simple. Means carrying a cut off spanner for the tug but I didn’t have any slippage or have to realign the caliper.

I’m sensitive to seat height.

rOcKeTdOg

I like trackends, they work, they’re simples and I do like the uncluttered look..

nothing as uncluttered as a standard rear dropout, that’s why EBB’s are ace, i’ll agree they are not all created equal but the Phil Wood on my Swift is ace

i wish my travis brown trek 69er hadn’t been nicked, had only just got it to my liking and hadn’t ridden it much 🙁

tazzymtb

GregMay- totally, definitely my fastest race SS by some margin and yet somehow the carbon flex wishbone in the rear took enough sting out of it to still have a spine left 😀

epicyclo

adsh – Member
    …I’m sensitive to seat height.

I can understand that on a road fixie, but on a SS MTB you don’t spend that much time in the saddle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nope requires one allen key and I’m already carrying that. are there any tool free ecbb’s ?

Nope, but you don’t need to move the EBB to fix a puncture. Likewise swinging/sliding dropouts.

adsh – Member
    …I’m sensitive to seat height.

An EBB moves it about 10mm at the extremes, some only move it about 5mm (and need a half link), but you only set it once, after that you’re moving it ~1mm over the life of a chain to take up the slack.

flashes
    Free Member

Unless you want to change the nice WI freewheel in which case your brand new chain is slightly too short, so you have to buy another chain, but it’s the Friday before you’re going on an away day on the Saturday. So luckily you have a spare Fatbike (with proper trackends), so you can ride after all………..

thetallman
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to have had my Talbot built last year. Just love this thing.

HansRey

Van Dessel WTF. it has an EBB, but it also is massively adaptable and has great mud clearance. That’s what I’m planning to get when i finally get myself a job.

willwebby
    Free Member

I built mine :), next to my daughters future steed aswell 🙂
    [/URL][/img]

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

HansRey – Member
    Van Dessel WTF. it has an EBB, but it also is massively adaptable and has great mud clearance. That’s what I’m planning to get when i finally get myself a job.

Good luck trying to get one in the uk, was in touch with them last week and at the moment they arent sure i can get one in the uk ??

GregMay
    Free Member

Definitly not wrong with those bikes from Oddity:

cookeaa

I quite like the look of that Greg, perusing their site they look to be trying to out-jones Jeff Jones on some of their bikes…

I really liked this:

Seatstays swept into twin top tubes Mmmmm… Nice.

GregMay
    Free Member

I think he’s got some interesting ideas with introducing flex – good flex at that 🙂

Also, the reverse etched graphic are making me come over all funny. So nice.

tazzymtb

Mr Burns builds some gorgeous steel oddities as well, and for a good price, and he’s a righteous dude which helps 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Halt!…You jumped zee red light.

Sam

This was mine, wish I’d never sold it…

kerley
    Free Member

Here’s mine – speed not comfort….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Dream SS bike’ is closed to new replies.