Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • DrayTek 2760n or something else?
  • ratherbeintobago

Currently have a Sky Hub 2 which is a bit crap and needs regular re-starts.

Considering a switch to a DrayTek 2760n (had a 2800g in the past that was very stable) but have heard the wireless is a bit weak (which in itself isn’t a deal breaker as I can carry on with the existing setup of using a Netgear AC access point for this).

Anyone any experience of these or any alternatives? Would want ADSL/VDSL, gigabit ethernet and maybe linux-based firmware if not going with the DrayTek.

peterfile
    Free Member

On the recommendation of some network savvy people, I’ve got a Draytek Vigor 120 modem, running as a PPoPA to PPoPE bridge to an Asus RT-N66U (Dark Knight) router, which is super fast and very stable (no restarts since I got it set up a couple of months ago).

Alphabet

I’ve been testing a Vigor 2860 which has ADSL/VDSL with my home BT Infinity as we’re looking to get Infinity at work. So far it’s been rock solid (3 days) which is far, far better than the Asus N66U I’ve tried before which couldn’t hold a connection for more than an hour at most. It’s not cheap though.

We use Vigor’s at work (have about 12 throughout our sites) and they’ve proved very stable and reliable.

Sorry no experience with Sky broadband.

ratherbeintobago

It’s not cheap though.

No, they’re not. The 2800g I passed on to my dad, and apparently he ran his office wifi network on it for ages without rebooting. 2760 is a bit cheaper as it’s not got quite so many features…

Sky broadband itself is OK; for reasons I don’t follow they provide a crappy router and then make it hard for people to use their own (have to mess round with Wireshark to get your account details…)

sam_underhill

I’ve been running a 2830 on BT internet for the last 3 years. I’ve almost never rebooted it. It just works. The UI is not always blindingly obvious, but otherwise a great bit of kit.

somouk
    Free Member

I replaced my Sky hub with their Fibre broadband with an Asus Dark Knight running Merlin firmware. Be careful replacing the Sky hubs as they use MER authentication so the router must support the DHCP Client ID that it uses to negotiate on to the network and get an IP.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘DrayTek 2760n or something else?’ is closed to new replies.