Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 356 total)
  • Dont call me Babe.
  • mefty
    Free Member

Does anyone else see the irony here? McBoo and others getting all worked up complaining about someone who made a gentle complaint to a bus company and then commented how it had been blown out of proportion. I can almost here the indignant frothing from McBoo from here. what double standards ” its PC gone mad” McBoo – you are blowing this out of all proportion

He is not really though it he, he has just posted on a mountain biking site hoping for some mildly diverting discourse to make up for a slack day at work because the markets are moribund. I imagine many post on this forum for a similar reason, I appreciate your motives may be different.

donsimon
    Free Member

I imagine many post on this forum for a similar reason, I appreciate your motives may be different.

Well said, my good man.

mogrim

so if babe is not sexist* just wondering what is.

I’m guessing “sugartits” would probably fall outside the bounds of acceptability. I’m not sure “babe” would be very professional, although I guess it would depend a lot on context – a female social worker talking to an elderly woman in a home is a lot different to a policeman to a 20 year old girl on the street.

crikey
    Free Member

I concur with don simon, a succinct and positive addition by mefty there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mefy, good sir, may I doff my hat in your direction for such a fine, succinct piece of posting? Most pithy.

crikey
    Free Member

There are lots of regional colloquialisms that are dependent on location as well as context. When I was younger, ‘cock’ and cocker where both used to describe young men..

elzorillo
    Free Member

Thank god I’ve never actually met anyone in person who would get wound up by a word genuinely said in friendship.

The very idea is baffling and says more about the recipient than it does the person who said it… bruv

grum
    Free Member

coffeeking – think you’d feel differently if you were a woman, women are far more judged on looks than men.

He is not really though it he, he has just posted on a mountain biking site hoping for some mildly diverting discourse to make up for a slack day at work because the markets are moribund. I imagine many post on this forum for a similar reason, I appreciate your motives may be different.

And all she did was send a quick email to the bus company. The tone of many on here is far more frothing at the mouth than she was.

GrahamS

women are far more judged on looks than men.

Mostly by other women.

mogrim

And all she did was send a quick email to the bus company. The tone of many on here is far more frothing at the mouth than she was.

That’s cos we’ve got TJ, the Forum Frother.

Edit: which is a good thing, be boring otherwise 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

innit bruv!

dis thred is bare jokes

wwaswas

TJ, the Forum Frother.

A lovely sobriquet 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

you’d feel differently if you were a woman

IME they don’t mind babe, love, darling etc.
    They tend to object to ‘mama’ though 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Sorry, but ‘babe’ is massively sexist IMO

it feels and sounds like such a put-down

cookeaa

I prefer “treacle tits” when dealing with females and “butch” for males…

Barely anyone complains and if they do I curl up in a ball on the floor right in front of them and wail loudly; they seldom take it any further when they think they’ve upset a mental…

GrahamS

It’s a rite of passage. The day when folk stop calling you “son” and start calling you “mate”.

Should we instead graduate from “Master” to “Sir” or “M’Lord”?

Perhaps briefly via “Esquire”.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m not particularly worked up or frothing thanks Teej, all is Zen here at the pumping heart of global capitalism.

We’re having a wigwam built on the roof for the summer, going to be green-tea chillax heaven.

philconsequence
    Free Member

*is a little surprised we’ve got this far into the thread and nobody has suggested greeting people with a gentle boob rub*

crikey
    Free Member

I agree with the rite of passage; schoolboys used to say ‘Oi mate’, then one day they start saying ‘Excuse me Mister’ when ball retrieval is required.

GrahamS

Sorry, but ‘babe’ is massively sexist IMO

But it’s used man-to-woman, woman-to-man and woman-to-woman.
    The only combination I haven’t heard is man-to-man, and I’m sure that’s just because of my sheltered life.

How can that be massively sexist?

D0NK

So both emsz and the lady in the guardian (admittedly small sample size) think it’s sexist versus a bunch of blokes who ride mountain bikes who think it’s alright. hmmm who’s judgement to trust on this issue?

philconsequence
    Free Member

me and my friend kaan call each other babe occasionally, we both have dangly undergardens confirming it as a male-to-male exchange.

HTH babe x

mcboo
    Free Member

I try and use my own judgement. How is it possible to do otherwise?

D0NK

I think some bloke called suarez used his own judgement recently but for some reason a term he thought was inoffensive actually DID offend someone. Bizarre

emsz
    Free Member

I can think of maybe 2 people who’d call me that, and one is as gay as a window. I get ‘Hun’ slightly ironically from another male friend, and from another (who’s one down from caveman) it could be anything from babe to “Oi pissflaps”. LOL

BUT…I know these people well, if a random bus driver gives it Babe at me, I’m going with my hardest of paddington bear stares 😆

v8ninety

I’ve been dealing with patients for coming up to fifteen years, and part of the art of communication is judging how they would like to be addressed, and adjust my linguistics appropriately. There are plenty of times when a respectful use of Mr/Mrs ‘surname’ is entirely appropriate, but also times when m’dear, owd’un, chap, sweetheart, shug (when in Stoke) etc have all been terms that have been useful in putting a patient at ease in what can often be quite stressful situations. I do have a vague recollection of some sort of instruction about not using colloquial terms to address patients, but I like most of my colleagues would pretty much rather use our common sense and judgment than be told how to talk to people by someone who obviously has far more time on their hands than they probably should have.

In summary; it’s all about context, innit.

richmtb

Hello Petals

Personally I don’t have an issue with any of these terms of endearment / familiar expressions.

My wife (who is Hungarian) really doesn’t like the West of Scotland habit of calling women “Hen”. She doesn’t think its sexist she just doesn’t like being compared to a chicken!

alpin
    Free Member

i german GF likes it when someone calls her “love” or “darling”.

here in germany there aren’t any colloqiual terms that people use to address someone.

no malice is intended by the speaker when they say “love”. i use iot when addressing the train ticket lady, my sister’s friends and the old lady a few doors down.

emma82
    Free Member

I don’t like it. From friends or family it’s fine but from people who I don’t know, from someone working for a service which I’m paying to use i.e. buses or anything similar, at work etc, nope dont like it. Basicially anyone else outside of my friends or closest family would probably get a shirty look. Use sir/madam or someones name fgs. I’ve always found it patronising when someone calls me ‘love’ or ‘darlin’. gaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh actually really boils my pee. It’s also very chavy.

GrahamS

if a random bus driver gives it Babe at me, I’m going with my hardest of paddington bear stares

Even if the bus driver is a 60 year old woman?

emma82
    Free Member

Even if the bus driver is a 60 year old woman?

Yep

emsz
    Free Member

Yep,

it’s just..Arrrghhhhhh. hate it

yossarian
    Free Member

steve for blokes

donna for birds

its never failed

grum
    Free Member

I’ve always found it patronising when someone calls me ‘love’ or ‘darlin’. gaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh actually really boils my pee. It’s also very chavy.

You were doing well up until you said ‘chavy’. Isn’t that just another demeaning word for a sector of the population?

jota180
    Free Member

She doesn’t think its sexist she just doesn’t like being compared to a chicken!

you should tell her it’s short for hen-wife, that’ll cheer her up no end

crikey
    Free Member

…and all physios should be called Dave. We’ve got a physio who is actually called Dave, and it confuses him no end.

BermBandit
    Free Member

To be honest if thats all shes got to worry about, a holiday in the tribal areas of Pakistan might be in order to put it all into some perspective.

IHN

So both emsz and emma82 and the lady in the guardian (admittedly small sample size) think it’s sexist versus a bunch of blokes who ride mountain bikes who think it’s alright

So, what you’re saying is that the dears should calm down because us fellas are just being nice?

I think you’re right.

scuzz
    Free Member

I dislike being called ‘Stud’ and ‘Player’. It’s sexist.

GrahamS

Use sir/madam or someones name fgs

As a stalwart believer in correct heraldic address, I find “Sir” deeply offensive as I am neither a Baronet nor a Knight. To assume such a title on me is derogatory to the entire honours system.

Replublicans, marxists and religious extremists may also be offended, since the term derives from “My Lord”

HTH love.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Dont call me Babe.’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM