Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 356 total)
  • Dont call me Babe.
  • binners

I’d go further than that crikey Dave. From now on EVERYONE, male or female, should be referred to as Dave

Its a great, earthy, non-flash utilitarian name. When we reach this goal, only then will we have true equality comrades Daves!

wwaswas

From Twitter;

in Brighton they’re not allowed to call girls “babe.” but they are allowed to call a large area of gravel and stones “a beach.”

In Plymouth they have a Ho.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Yep,

it’s just..Arrrghhhhhh. hate it

What if it was a 65 year old blind lady in the street?

orangina
    Free Member

Alpin, I am German too but I hate being called darling, babe or love from complete strangers or people I hardly know. I find it degrading and belittling.
    The psychology of treating someone ‘friendlier’ than you actually are is some power display thing, it’s done in politics a lot (e.g. one politician putting his arm round another one… Bush jnr. has done that a lot). I have read this on the internez so it must be true!

babe
    Free Member

It’s all fine by me sweetheart
    Don’t see what all the fuss is about

Lifer
    Free Member

I think it was fair enough, she didn’t like it so she told the bus company. Didn’t call for anyone to be sacked, didn’t call for it to be banned, just told them it made her feel uncomfortable. The reaction to her is what is ridiculous and over the top IMO.

Lifer
    Free Member

babe – Member
    It’s all fine by me sweetheart
    Don’t see what all the fuss is about

Lamest special sign on of evar.

GrahamS

> Even if the bus driver is a 60 year old woman?

Yep

Right so, work with me here, how is a friendly term of address from a 60 year old woman to a young woman, “massively sexist”?

I think it was fair enough, she didn’t like it so she told the bus company. Didn’t call for anyone to be sacked, didn’t call for it to be banned, just told them it made her feel uncomfortable. The reaction to her is what is ridiculous and over the top IMO.

What about those that of us who simply find it a genuinely human and friendly term of address?

Do we now need to write to the bus company and protest that “Sir” and “Madam” are cold indifferent terms of corporate beige and feigned respect that make us feel deeply uncomfortable?

Lifer
    Free Member

Go for it, doesn’t bother me.

Cougar

The psychology of treating someone ‘friendlier’ than you actually are is some power display thing

Perhaps that’s a cultural difference, but it’s not the intention. The whole point is, it’s supposed to be a leveller, it’s just an informal friendly address in the same way that smiling is.

ocrider

Do we now need to write to the bus company and protest that “Sir” and “Madam” are cold indifferent terms of corporate beige and feigned respect that make us feel deeply uncomfortable?

+1 GrahamS

Personally I prefer familiarity to deference in shops and on buses (although draw the line at ‘my friend, my friend’)

My brain culturally imploded once when a middle-aged Afro-American gentleman-customer addressed me “Sir”. I was, like, whoa dude, your’e in Europe. We aren’t programmed for that kind of language!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

“exactly Druidh – which precludes the use of “babe” ” love” etc.”

Eh? How does “babe” or “love” qualify as disrespectful, racist or sexist?

Can yo really not see how belittleing it can be? Note all the women posting on here dislike it.

Perhaps that’s a cultural difference, but it’s not the intention. The whole point is, it’s supposed to be a leveller, it’s just an informal friendly address in the same way that smiling is.

Maybe thats the intent but its not a cultural difference – note all the women on here dislike it.

It belittleing and demeaning and disrespectful to refer to someone you don’t know by a term of endearment. It says “I am more powerful than you”

elzorillo
    Free Member

It belittleing and demeaning and disrespectful to refer to someone you don’t know by a term of endearment. It says “I am more powerful than you”

mcboo
    Free Member

Really? That 60 year old woman who sold me 4 oranges in Liverpool Street station this morning was putting me in my place was she?

She called me “Love”.

Cougar

Eh?

Really? That 60 year old woman who sold me 4 oranges in Liverpool Street station this morning was putting me in my place was she?

She called me “Love”.

I hope you wrote a stern letter to National Rail.

donsimon
    Free Member

My brain culturally imploded once when a middle-aged Afro-American gentleman-customer addressed me “Sir”. I was, like, whoa dude, your’e in Europe. We aren’t programmed for that kind of language!

😆

mcboo
    Free Member

Really I have never read anything quite so depressingly po-faced as that last little peach from Jeremy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Read the posts from the women on here. I suspect they are rather more qualified to comment than you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am depressed by how Neanderthal and blinkered your attitude is in the 21st century McBoo

Go on – re read the posts from the women on here and patronise them a bit more why don’t you by telling them their objections to this are wrong.

And then have another daily wail style frothing rant.

mcboo
    Free Member

Read the posts from the women on here. I suspect they are rather more qualified to comment than you.

Really? How so? Were they standing behind me in the station at 0710?

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you not think that stepping in and speaking on their behalf is not in itself somewhat patronizing?

mcboo
    Free Member

And then have another daily wail style frothing rant.

I read the Guardian. See post #1.

elzorillo
    Free Member

If only you could see the mocking laughter from my wife and her (female) cousin. They don’t believe you’re a real person.

Cougar

Don’t be daft, they’re women.

(-:

IHN

The psychology of treating someone ‘friendlier’ than you actually are is some power display thing,

What if you actually are that friendly?

Sweet Jesus. No it doesn’t, don’t be ridiculous. That’s the same sort of pompous political correct crap that decreed that the term ‘blackboard’ couldn’t be used and ‘Ba Ba Black Sheep’ couldn’t be sung because they were racist.

mcboo
    Free Member

Didnt we do this last night re:bonuses?

donsimon
    Free Member

Didnt we do this last night re:bonuses?

Sssh! Or there will be more warnings!!! 👿

GrahamS

note all two of the women on here dislike it.

FTFY.

It’s really not a great sample size TJ.
    And you’re rather ignoring the vast majority of posters who say they don’t mind it or even like it.

WTF? So when the cleaners come in and say “Can I empty your bin love?” they are not only being sexist, but they are also demeaning me and saying “I am more powerful than you”??

Get over yourself Sir.

mcboo
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I am depressed by how Neanderthal and blinkered your attitude is in the 21st century McBoo

I get called “Love” and I’m the Neanderthal? I’m the victim of a hate crime!

philconsequence
    Free Member

Do you not think that stepping in and speaking on their behalf is not in itself somewhat patronizing?

agree with dondon on that bit mr teejay

GrahamS

Go on – re read the posts from the women on here and patronise them a bit more why don’t you by telling them their objections to this are wrong.

And I’ve given you several reasons why I might be offended by you calling people “Sir”

I trust you will be desisting from this offensive practise immediately?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So three women posted onthis thread and this is ther response. do we believe them? or do we believe the right wing frothers such as McBoo

emsz – Member

I hate being called ‘babe’, or ‘sweetheart’ by blokes, but i don’t mind ‘love’ from old dears on the checkout though. there’s a bloke on the train station that calls everyone “me duck” which is ok. Hate being complimented by strangers as well, very creepy

emma82 – Member

I don’t like it. From friends or family it’s fine but from people who I don’t know, from someone working for a service which I’m paying to use i.e. buses or anything similar, at work etc, nope dont like it. Basicially anyone else outside of my friends or closest family would probably get a shirty look. Use sir/madam or someones name fgs. I’ve always found it patronising when someone calls me ‘love’ or ‘darlin’. gaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh actually really boils my pee. It’s also very chavy.

orangina – Member

Alpin, I am German too but I hate being called darling, babe or love from complete strangers or people I hardly know. I find it degrading and belittling.
    The psychology of treating someone ‘friendlier’ than you actually are is some power display thing, it’s done in politics a lot (e.g. one politician putting his arm round another one… Bush jnr. has done that a lot). I have read this on the internez so it must be true!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And we now have the full set with a “PC gone mad” complaint.

donsimon
    Free Member

Oh dear! 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

the right wing frothers such as McBoo

Does that make you a left wing squirter then, TJ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FTFY.

It’s really not a great sample size TJ.
    And you’re rather ignoring the vast majority of posters who say they don’t mind it or even like it.

Its only some of the men posting who don’t mind it the women all dislike the practice.

I wonder why? I wonder whos experience of sexist behaviour might be more relevant?

GrahamS

I wonder whos experience of sexist behaviour might be more relevant?

So men can’t experience sexist behaviour now??

Sexist!

Jamie
    Free Member

So men can’t experience sexist behaviour now??

That’s right. Now go make me a cup of tea, sugar balls.

mcboo
    Free Member

What point was the OP making again? I cant remember and I’m the OP.

elzorillo
    Free Member

TJ.. The fact that a few people don’t like something doesn’t automatically make it wrong.

My elderly mother calls EVERYONE ‘babe’. She isn’t on some power trip or committing a hate crime. To most normal people she’s simply being friendly. That the odd person doesn’t like it is their problem.

I actually find your aloof championing of the minority voice quite demeaning to them and frankly, much ruder. Doubt that will make a difference though eh bruv.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Dont call me Babe.’ is closed to new replies.