Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 23,167 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

What I can’t understand is that his supporters can’t see his bare-faced lies and manipulation….. I mean, it’s SO obvious but there is a huge (yuge?) section of society that actually believes what he’s saying.

Ignoarance and Stupidity are sometimes had to seperate. The media has it’s role and in the US it can be exceptionally partisan on the right side, the left has it’s faults but in many ways they seem to keep it rational. If you are in the circles that only get your media from one sourece then you are in trouble. It’s easier to listen and lap it up rather than look for more detailed explanations.
    Don’t forget the scale of the US – similar to Australia some people will never see more than 10% of it. All you have to do is convince them of what is going on and that it could happen to them.
    The level of fear over 9/11 is still huge is a lot of places, it’s above rational also and it’s ingrained into the pshcye of a nation in places. Despite the amount of gun crime and violence that goes on every day.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – I’m not quite sure why people get confused by that one simply because his motivations are so alien to them.

Though regarding his re-election, he has to appeal to more than his core voters who are the ones lapping all this up (and making all the noise supporting him on social media). He has to also appeal to those who might have voted for Bernie – arguably he has to also hope that whoever the Democrats put forward next time fails to encourage people to come out and vote for them in the way Hillary did. It is worth noting that the latest polls already have his approval rating at 36% (a drop of 8 points from his record low for a president on inauguration), and whilst we’re all pretty wary of polls now, the margin of error would have to be huge to get him reelected right now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I mean, it’s SO obvious but there is a huge (yuge?) section of society that actually believes what he’s saying.

I suspect that it’s probably not quite as big as you might think. It’s a fairly accepted fact that many of the people who voted for him did so because he was “different” to other mainstream politicians, and they simply thought that they would “give him a chance”.

It’s a sad reflection of just how disillusioned people have become with mainstream politics/politicians, something which is by no means unique to the United States and has become prevalent throughout much of the West.

Opinion polls show that his approval ratings for a US president in his honeymoon period are historically low.

Of course just like anywhere else in the world there are stupid people in the US, and for those people Trump’s apparent stupidity will never be a problem. But for a great many people it obviously will be.

And to be fair despite being notoriously unpredictable few could have imagined just how much damage Trump could do to America in just his first week as US president. I certainly didn’t.

EDIT : Something which I forgot to mention is that Trump was massively helped by the fact that the Democrats put forward the worst possible candidate – someone who was considered dishonest and untrustworthy, extremely close to the political/Washington elite and Obama, and who had a completely misplaced sense of self-entitlement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And to be fair despite being notoriously unpredictable few could have imagined just how much damage Trump could do to America in just his first week as US president. I certainly didn’t.

I think plenty predicted at least some of it. What is the hope for now is that there are 3 levels of stops here.
    First Congress both in terms of funding and voting down legislation – the wall being a good example of that
    Secondly his cabinet – already the stops on torture etc. from people who are just not prepared to implement things like that are welcoming. the end of feb will be interesting when they put forward the ISIS Plan – who will have the political will for another boots on ground war? You can’t do it all from the air. Will the US military be comfortable along side the Ruissians – the potential for incedents there is huge.
    Thrid is the Courts, though his supreme court pic may help him they might feel the need to remain a little impartial to start with. You would have to expect heavy legal challenges to most of his policies which are close to or which are unconstitutional or just plain illegal.

As for timescales 2018 will be a key time, with low popularity and people still objecting to what he plans a significant shift could go against him. That is when the Repulicans will be getting worried

batfink
    Free Member

Really? He didn’t do enough during the campaign to convince you of just how awful he is?

I guess this is part of the point…. the guy openly admitted to repeated sexual assault in the run-up to the election, for crying out loud, and yet people (in large numbers) still voted for him.

In that example, he brushed it off as “locker-room-talk”….. something that makes no sense and doesn’t address the issue in any way shape or form, and yet large swathes of the American public just accepted it and started parroting it back.

Similar things re: tax returns, nepotism, business interests, Russia etc etc, even the bloody inauguration crowd issue…… it seems like he can say whatever he likes, regardless of how outrageously untrue/offensive/illegal it is, and a large part of the population not only believe it, but start repeating it as truth.

It’s bloody scary.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and guess what somebody has bought the domain
    http://alternativefacts.com/
    Worth a click to see where it goes

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Really? He didn’t do enough during the campaign to convince you of just how awful he is?

Yes I was aware that he is an unpleasant person. I just didn’t think he would hit the ground running when it came to alienating the whole world, I couldn’t have predicted that he would do quite so much damage in just his first week.

I can’t say that I’m complaining btw, less than 0.001% of the world’s population voted for Trump, it really is time that the rest of 99.999% didn’t allow just one man have so much power and influence, it is neither democratic nor healthy.

This should act as a well overdue wakeup call.

wilburt
    Free Member

What I dont get is his twitter fb trolling.

I work for a company with 100m budget employing a couple of k people, the boss is leveheaded (as you’d expect) but no way, not a chance would anyone think letting him send a stream of messages out would be idea.

Yet here we have this guy top job in the world and he’s a twitter troll!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teamwork?

Gen. John F. Kelly, the secretary of homeland security, had dialed in from a Coast Guard plane as he headed back to Washington from Miami. Along with other top officials, he needed guidance from the White House, which had not asked his department for a legal review of the order.

Halfway into the briefing, someone on the call looked up at a television in his office. “The president is signing the executive order that we’re discussing,” the official said, stunned.

White House officials in the meantime insisted to reporters at a briefing that Mr. Trump’s advisers had been in contact with officials at the State and Homeland Security Departments for “many weeks.”

One official added, “Everyone who needed to know was informed.”

But that apparently did not include members of the president’s own cabinet.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/us/politics/donald-trump-rush-immigration-order-chaos.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
    Of course the NYT is just a hot bed of leftie radicalism…
    How long will some of the cabinet last?

Houns

He’s obviously been too busy for his spray tan and his hair dye sessions

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Trump stands for Trump I.e. himself, and no one else. He’s simply an egotoctistical old man and is just doing what he wants. Hardly surprising his actions at present. Nevertheless, his voters won’t care about the carnage since they mostly live outside the big cities anyway. He’ll still be getting their support with these actions.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

What is hurting him the most though is the fact he classes himself as a New Yorker and currently New York hates him for what he’s done to their city (essentially closed it down pre elections with all his entourage etc) and his beliefs. I have a fair bit of family in New York and it’s funny to hear their view of what’s going on.

kimbers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/jihadist-groups-hail-trumps-travel-ban-as-a-victory/2017/01/29/50908986-e66d-11e6-b82f-687d6e6a3e7c_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.c0c17cb647eb

Ex-MI6 head on R4 just said Trump is playing into jihadists hands

sadly our PM wont stand up to him so we get tarred with that same brush

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How can people who read US Today be considered stupid? Our intelligentsia read The Scum

kimbers

US embassy in London saying that dual British nationals are still banned

I thought Johnson had got us an assurance saying that wasnt the case?

Per US Presidential Executive Order signed on January 27, 2017, visa issuance to aliens from the countries of Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen has been suspended effective immediately until further notification.

If you are a national, or dual national, of one of these countries, please do not schedule a visa appointment or pay any visa fees at this time.

If you already have an appointment scheduled, please DO NOT ATTEND your appointment as we will not be able to proceed with your visa interview. Please note that certain travel for official governmental purposes, related to official business at or on behalf of designated international organizations, on behalf of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, or by certain officials is not subject to this suspension.

Humiliating for Johnson as he is about to be grilled by MPs….

iolo
    Free Member

http://trumpdonald.org/

Not very grown up but made me laugh

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought Johnson had got us an assurance saying that wasnt the case?

Jamby said it was fixed!!
    As the previous article I linked said the head of Homeland was being briefed when he saw trump sign the think on TV, he wasn’t consulted.
    The guidance to the heads of department was non existent and they were expected to be ruling on it on the spot. Ill conceived, poorly written, legally dubious at best so 1/10 for his first go.

slowoldman

That much fake tan just ain’t healthy.

kimbers

Foreign Office saying US embassy have got it wrong

Banshambles ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    Foreign Office saying US embassy have got it wrong

So who is paying for the cancelled trip?
    Wonder how much this little charade has cost the US economy with missed/lost business and cancellations.

kimbers

No 10 now blaming the queen

apparently May was just passing on an invite from her Maj

despite claiming the invite was decided by a mysterious government committee 30 mins ago 🙄

pk13

Signatures are flying onto that petition. 2 mil by tea time? I can see the queen having a cold if he comes over and as he wont meet Charles we could send Edward

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Good comment from the Guardian

bothered to look up what Israel’s entry policy is in light of all the hoo-ha created by Trump. I found the attached article which is illuminating.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2015/12/10/do-you-know-what-country-has-not-banned-muslims-from-entry-israel/

What moral arguments are left for Trump if Israel has not taken an equivalent stance from within the heat of the fire?

Roflmao

GrahamS

“To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting.”

Don’t worry The Donald, I’m sure some brave patriotic souls can bypass the libtard MSM and reveal the truth on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/825456106898128897

jambalaya
    Free Member

Isreal is a very good example. Customs there is a long detailed process but they are open to consider anyone. Contrast that to very many Arab countries where if you have an Israeli etry stamp in yoir UK passport you’ll be refused entry. Malayasia caused a fuss last year when they denied visas to the Isreali youth windsurfing team who had entered the World Championships. There is an outstanding query about what will happen with the 2022 football World Cup in Qatar if Isreal qualify or if Isreali fans wish to attend.

kimbers

jambalaya – Member
    Isreal is a very good example…..

…. of a state that operates a system of apartheid and regularly flouts international law

I think youll need to come up with a better example of a country that maintains peaceful relations with the muslim world

kerley
    Free Member

I can see the queen having a cold if he comes over and as he wont meet Charles we could send Edward

We should send Philip in, he will sort him out.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

True Jamby, however that doesnt make Donald right.

It says something when Israeli policy appears to be more level headed than your own.

DrJ

Contrast that to very many Arab countries where if you have an Israeli etry stamp in yoir UK passport you’ll be refused entry. Malayasia caused a fuss last year when they denied visas to the Isreali youth windsurfing team who had entered the World Championships

Malaysia is an Arab country? Everyday’s a schoolday!

Pigface
    Free Member

It’s a #jambafact

ctk
    Free Member

Civilians indiscriminately killed in drone strikes or indiscriminate travel ban- which will radicalise more people?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I can see the queen having a cold if he comes over and as he wont meet Charles we could send Edward Jedward

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Civilians indiscriminately killed in drone strikes or indiscriminate travel ban- which will radicalise more people?”

In Brighton, the latter.

GrahamS

Civilians indiscriminately killed in drone strikes or indiscriminate travel ban- which will radicalise more people?

I didn’t realise Trump has halted all the drone strikes. When was that announced?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/donald-trump-us-military-attack-yemen-civilians-women-children-dead-a7553121.html

slowoldman

Foreign Service officers planning dissent over immigration ban
    Full Text of Draft Dissent Channel Memo on Trump Refugee and Visa Order

Meanwhile Trump tweets that there are “Bad Dudes” out there!

ctk
    Free Member

Trump is droning! shit the bed! Shame I thought he was going to be different but it turns out he’s JUST LIKE every other US Prez.

GrahamS

Meanwhile Trump tweets that there are “Bad Dudes” out there!

Does this mean he might be in danger of being kidnapped by ninjas?

Northwind

ctk – Member

Try- civilians indiscriminately killed in drone strikes PLUS indiscriminate travel ban. Obviously the latter will radicalise more (and where it doesn’t radicalise, will erode support- which increases the odds of radicalised people achieving their goals.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Iran test fires yet another ballistic missile – Obama’s deal really was extraordinarily stupid and we signed it too 😐

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/30/iran-conducts-ballistic-missile-test-us-officials-say.html

Jamie
    Free Member

Fox News you say….

Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 23,167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.