• This topic has 28 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Do you lead with your left foot, right foot or both?
  • chiefgrooveguru

And if you’re comfortable leading with either foot, did you start out like that or did you consciously practise being ambidextrous?

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Like to lead with right but forcing myself to lead with my left about half the time ‘co of a slight left knee injury that seems to have been slightly inflamed by holding the same position/angle on the downs… but prefer/revert to right lead on the more technical stuff… so I guess consciously trying to be ambifootrous!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Strongly left forward. Right lead helps with left switchbacks. Otherwise left forward works for me.

_tom_
    Free Member

Left foot forward for me, spin clockwise.

Highland28
    Free Member

Mainly both tbh but have started to try out a bit of going with my right foot first 😀 and so far so good!

jedi

when i ride pedals level(straight on sections) i ride right foot first. i can ride with either foot forward but right is most natural

sambob
    Free Member

Left foot forward, right feels very weird. Then again, so do right hand corners 😕

Mugboo

Goofy here

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If I think about it, left foot forward, but I’ll catch myself riding the other way round and then immediately crash.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Goofy

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Depends where I’ve come from and where I’m going.

Coyote
    Free Member

Left.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Your preferred forward foot is known as your “chocolate foot” in trials terms at least. it’s the one you rely on to crank with most power to get you over stuff.
    But you should be just as happy with either foot forward for trail riding as you need to put one or other forward to negotiate tight switchbacks proficiently. (outside pedal forward coming in and dropping to bottom as you make the turn) This should be a natural reflex action, so it makes sense to practise it.

chiefgrooveguru

Interesting! I ride right foot forward but as I’ve broken that ankle I thought I’d work on getting comfortable with left foot forwards so I can switch (once I’m allowed back on the bike!)

I also ride horses and when they’re green they always canter on one lead and you have to teach them to do the other – as with MTBing it doesn’t matter in a straight line but the horse is much more balanced on the correct lead in a corner (although you also practise counter canter so it’s not completely hopeless when you get it the wrong way round). If you watch show jumping you’ll see that they constantly change lead, sometimes with a flying change (where the horse rearranges its legs during the moment of suspension midstride) or they’ll take off for a jump on one lead and land on the other.

devs
    Free Member

I’m right handed and footed but ride left foot forward. When I practice RFF it feels awkward but I still get down stuff……..just!

nicko74

Right foot forward for me. Which has led over the years to trashing numerous Octalink and square taper bottom brackets.

Northwind

I can do either but left by default… Used to be right but a lot of my reflexes got messed up when I mashed my right leg and now the left seems to be dominant, weird.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Both, depends which way the trail is turning…

M6TTF
    Free Member

Tend to descend right foot forward, which is a little bizarre as I’m an out an out lefty for everything else in the world!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Whichever is needed for corner but left is usually the default. Odd, as my right let is much stronger.

fadda

Cheifgrooveguru – that’s genuinely interesting!

I’m LFF by default, but every now and then I try RFF and it feels weird…

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Left foot on the straights, weight the outside pedal for corners, inside foot back on switchbacks. Spent a while conciously dialing it in, but do it all the time without thinking now.

Davesport

I lead with my chin 8)

lowey

Right with pedals level.

D0NK

Left, I have tried RFF for left turns but it doesn’t help so stick to left, possibly more practice needed to really get the benefit but same goes for wheelies, manuals and jumping, just not enough time.

Right foot forward for me. Which has led over the years to trashing numerous Octalink and square taper bottom brackets.

How so?

trio25
    Free Member

Left here as well, on non-technical downhills recently I’ve been trying right but it feels odd, but think it will be useful to be able to switch.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In a corner your outside foot should be down, as I learned at the weekend….. 🙂
    And it does work.

ash

But you should be just as happy with either foot forward for trail riding as you need to put one or other forward to negotiate tight switchbacks proficiently. (outside pedal forward coming in and dropping to bottom as you make the turn) This should be a natural reflex action, so it makes sense to practise it.

100% what he said ^ ^

In a corner your outside foot should be down

Correct, but (if we’re talking tight corners/switchbacks) ideally your outside foot should be FORWARD before it goes down, so as to set your hips facing into the corner and encouraging you to look for the exit. It all helps.

jedi

took the words out of my mouth peterproddy 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Do you lead with your left foot, right foot or both?’ is closed to new replies.