Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 226 total)
  • Do you have a favourite painting?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have always found Delaroche’s, The Execution of Lady Jane Grey strangely compelling.

binners

Rusty Spanner – did you see the recent programme on Hockney talking about his new stuff. Amazing!!! I wanted to go to see the exhibition at the Royal Academy. Then I saw the admission price. EEK!!!

hora
    Free Member

Woman in the Sun by Edward Hopper made me understand that paintings have meaning- the lines, positioning etc.

Marshal Ney’s retreat from Moscow (in Manchesters Art gallery is an epic story on canvass). Fantastic. Its lines- flow across the canvass. The positioning/angle of the desolete/dead trees anchor/balance the thick line of despair/retreat.

igrf
    Free Member

Love that Rockwell, love lots of paintings, if I had to pic a favorite artist it would have to be Dali..

RustySpanner

Me too Binners 🙁
    We should have gone and blagged our way in.
    Could of pretended to be the Tod News art correspondents.

Love his attitude – ‘Why have you painted that road silver?’

‘Well, if you look at a wet road at sunset, with the light shining on it, it’s silver. So I painted it silver, it’s not rocket science.’

Best thing he’s done for years IMO.

messiah
    Free Member

James Guthrie – A Funeral Service in the Highlands

hora
    Free Member

‘Jeunesse Dorée’, by Gerald Leslie Brockhurst.

Wow. I really like that.

igrf
    Free Member

Check this young womans work out she is a local artist who sails at our sailing club with her dad, an absolutely amazingly talented artist.

I absolutely adore work of near photographic quality produced by hand.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I love the Rothko’s at the Tate

YES!

RustySpanner

Hora, ever seen this?

‘Gassed’ by John Singer Sergent.
    Heartbreaking, isn’t it?

‘Jeunesse Dorée’ is only down the road at Port Sunlight.
    Great gallery, cracking day out.
    Well worth a visit.
    You can’t stand far enough back to get a proper look at the bloody thing though as it’s at the end of a narrow balcony upstairs.

sputnik
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

You can’t stand far enough back to get a proper look at the bloody thing though as it’s at the end of a narrow balcony upstairs.

Possibly put there by design?

Whats the gallery called? I can’t find it? [/url]

arcing
    Free Member

Henri Rousseau “Tiger in a tropical storm”

Loved this as a kid on school trips to the National Gallery.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Ooops. Forgot.

Pretty-much anything by Sickert:

hels
    Free Member

igrf – you might like George Shaw, he does paintings of industrial wasteland, suburban scenes etc using humbrolt model paint. Very realistic but shiny and sinister.

binners

Dear god! I’m in agreement with Hora on something. Marshal Ney’s retreat from Moscow is amazing. As is this…

Wagner’s – The Chariot Race, you can get lost in too

Rusty – I love Hockneys attitude. Straightforward, unpretentious, no nonsense. The polar opposite of utter strokers like Damian Hurst and Tracy Emin. Ironic as he’s still producing work that’s far more important and relevant than those 2, and similar preening idiots

RustySpanner

Hora, it’s the Lady Lever Art Gallery.
    Link.

Nice cafe just down the road – does a lovely breakfast.

Remember this from Manchester?

Balaclava by Lady Butler.
    Another choker……..

Spot on Binners.
    Used to spend a lot of lunch hours in there when I worked in Spring Gardens.

Used to love the old Lowry on Salford Crescent too.
    It had a much better atmosphere than that soulless new place.
    And it smelt of damp and school dinners, which really suited the paintings.

passtherizla
    Free Member

futura2000 is one of my favourite artists… seen him painting live a few times.

He is responsible for this Unkle cover

his stuff isn’t all like this though.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ah How could I foget Jim Phillips!!!

hora
    Free Member

Remember this from Manchester?

How did I forget that? Its utterly amazing. Has it now moved? Museum- in the diary to visit. Ta 🙂

thx1138
    Free Member

A thread about art; far more interesting than talking abut bikes!

I can’t believe anyone is taken in by Rothko; a perfect example of the classic Emperors New Clothes scam, where someone with a vested commercial interest in the work proclaims it the new best thing ever, then a bunch of sycophants coo in awed unison, and those who don’t want to feel left out but lack the ability to know their own minds just go along with the herd. Rothkos fill space in otherwise insipid, pretentious restaurants and the foyers of impersonal corporations. Put there because someone thinks ‘we should have some art on the walls, but nothing actually stimulating or thought provoking which will detract from our real intentions’. People talk of seeing images come out of the canvasses of crudely slapped on paint, but then if you stared at a patch of damp on a wall long enough, then the same thing could happen. Still, Rothko does serve the purpose of making the gullible think they know something about art!

How do you post pictures on here?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Actually, I didn’t know anything at all about Rothko until I visited the Tate Modern and came across the Rothko Room exhibit.

Blew me away.

Sorry.

passtherizla
    Free Member

How do you post pictures on here?

you have to host the picture on the internet and then either take the BB code (flichr etc) or just copy and past the URL into a IMG box from the options when posting a reply.

binners

Rothkos fill space in otherwise insipid, pretentious restaurants and the foyers of impersonal corporations.

I presume you know the history of the Tate Rothko’s then, and you’re being ironic? Otherwise you’d just come across as a complete twonk! And that would be a shame. You’ve added so much to the thread

passtherizla – In a former job I commissioned some illustrations off Jim Phillips. Absolute quality!

thx1138
    Free Member

I suggest you go to the Laing Gallery in Newcastle, and have a look at the John Martin paintings there. Then you’ll really be blown away.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Do you now.

binners

Would I now? Thanks for the heads up. We’ll all bow to your clearly superior judgement and delicate aesthetic sensibilities

Were you being ironic BTW? Do you know the history of the Tate Rothko’s? It might be a bit embarrassing if you didn’t, given your rather forceful statement.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was also very impressed with:

derek_starship
    Free Member

Mr. Smith. There really is no need to be so rude just because you don’t like what I like.

RustySpanner

thx1138 – Member

A thread about art; far more interesting than talking abut bikes!

I can’t believe anyone is taken in by Rothko; a perfect example of the classic Emperors New Clothes scam, where someone with a vested commercial interest in the work proclaims it the new best thing ever, then a bunch of sycophants coo in awed unison, and those who don’t want to feel left out but lack the ability to know their own minds just go along with the herd. Rothkos fill space in otherwise insipid, pretentious restaurants and the foyers of impersonal corporations. Put there because someone thinks ‘we should have some art on the walls, but nothing actually stimulating or thought provoking which will detract from our real intentions’. People talk of seeing images come out of the canvasses of crudely slapped on paint, but then if you stared at a patch of damp on a wall long enough, then the same thing could happen. Still, Rothko does serve the purpose of making the gullible think they know something about art!

See, that’s the thing:

I don’t care about the artists:
    Their intentions, their methods, their reputations, their troubled relationships with their mother, their pain.

All irrelevant.

Just like your opinion. 😀

I only care about how their work makes me feel.
    That’s all that matters. 🙂

Have a Valette and stop being daft:

hels
    Free Member

Getting a bit fighty in here, I can see nobody will be posting any Georgia O’Keefes today !

binners

People talk of seeing images come out of the canvasses of crudely slapped on paint, but then if you stared at a patch of damp on a wall long enough, then the same thing could happen.

Indeed 😆

thx1138
    Free Member

Do you mean the Seagram Murals, binners? Of course, the only irony here is that Rothko failed to achieve what he set out to do; to unsettle the diners in the restaurant which had commissioned him. And that he considered the restaurant ‘pretentious’. Maybe he was just annoyed that his work was seen as nothing more than inoffensive space filler.

passtherizla; thanks. I shall attempt that now!

passtherizla
    Free Member

@binners, any pictures?

binners

passtherizla – I’ll see if I can find some of the images. He did us some t shirt designs. Its a long time ago now though

Of course, the only irony here is that Rothko failed to achieve what he set out to do; to unsettle the diners in the restaurant which had commissioned him.

But the fact that he intended to do that undermines the dismissive comments in your first statement

Maybe he was just annoyed that his work was seen as nothing more than inoffensive space filler.

Except it isn’t by most people, is it? This isn’t made a fact because you don’t like it.

thx1138
    Free Member

Go and see these in the Laing; a computer screen simply doesn’t do them justice:

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Not strictly a painting – an installation I stood inside once. Interesting artist.

igrf
    Free Member

Thanks hels

I like this. – Time Machine

boxelder

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Do you have a favourite painting?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM