Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 226 total)
  • Do you have a favourite painting?
  • RustySpanner

thx, the skill of the artist or the crudity of execution is irrelevant.
    The effect on the viewer is all that matters.

Can Dylan hold a note? Not really.
    Are his performances more expressive than Whitney Houston’s?
    They are to me.
    And that’s sll that counts.

Sidney
    Free Member

This is a favourite of mine, Dave White. Really wanted to buy a limited edition print but couldn’t at the time.

WackoAK
    Free Member

wondered when the infamous bricks was going to make an appearance.

🙂 exactly! I was lucky enough to view it at the Tate.

mefty
    Free Member

Still Life with Shoe

Another lover of Miro, this is my favourite although you don’t get the luminosity of the colour on the screen, likewise you don’t get a true feeling for Dali’s crucifixion from the image posted earlier.

binners

I assume you’re joking, or being ‘ironic’ or something, otherwise that 3 years you spent at art college was a waste of taxpayers’ money. Why not actually attempt some constructive criticism, rather than being childish?

How dare you!!! I expend a great deal of thought on my criticism

edd

My favourite painting:

I love the juxtaposition of the military uniform on the man’s top half, and in the background, with the hunting boots and breeches on his bottom half. The man is clearly deep in thought; it is the boots and breeches that tell us he is dreaming of being at home in the hunting field.

I also really enjoy M C Escher’s work.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Madfly
    Free Member

@surlynot, some impressive work, Thanks!

Bunnyhop

Rusty Spanner – I love that Bonnie Burnley by Sue Rose.
    However I’ve just googled her and it’s coming up with some American artist and her work doesn’t look the same as yours.
    Have you any more info please?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Another Doig:

Which, when I saw it, I linked to:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXWjKrRE7YQ[/video]

RustySpanner

Bunnyhop, ygm at your work email address.

noteeth
    Free Member

Andrew Wyeth, Christina’s World, 1948.

DaveRambo

Mrs R worked at Tate Modern for many years so I’ve seen an awful lot of stuff – particularly like the Rothko’s

I think the one that stands out for me is Yves Klein’s IKB 79 at Tate Modern.

You have to understand the process and actually see it to ‘get it’.

It’s not just a blue canvas

MrWoppit
    Free Member

On Stuckism:

During WW2, Picasso lived in Marseille. It is told that he met an SS officer one day in a bar who knew who he was and took to berating him for producing “degenerate” art. The only true art, said the Nazi, was art that portrayed reality is it actually was…

Picasso let the guy run out of steam and then asked if he was married, to which the Nazi replied in the affirmative, and pulled a small photograph out of his wallet, proudly showing it to the Great Man.

“She’s very pretty” said Picasso, “but… so tiny!!”

Kevevs
    Free Member

this is one of the most interesting threads as far as I’m concerned. What really interests me is why and what attracts someone to a certain picture or painting. It’s great putting up links to cool stuff, I just wonder what makes certain paintings/art so involving and important. especially the older conservative portrait painting stuff. Why is that so great?

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    yossarian
    Free Member

I must have reread this thread a dozen times and there are some pictures and artists that I’d never heard of that have blown me away.

Thanks everyone, it’s great seeing what other people are into. 🙂

CountZero

Somafunk; fair enough, but as long as you’re aware that all you are looking at are some crudely daubed large canvasses, not something crafted with exceptional skill or talent. And be aware that setting and context play a very important part in how your subconcious receives the work; take a Rothko painting, and stick it on the wall of a dull restaurant or office foyer, and you’d probably pay it no more than a fleeting glance; a splash of colour to brighten up the place. But put it in a prestigious art gallery, and suddenly people start raving on about it. Just makes me laugh really. But then I suppose peole will be along to attempt to justify it, and claim I’m ‘visually illiterate’ or some other such nonsense. By all means enjoy it, but you could get the same enjoyment out of looking at a damp patch on a wall, if you put your mind to it. that’s the truth.

Total bollocks. I’m with somafunk, I went to the Tate Rothko exhibition, because I was interested in seeing more of his work. Personally, I prefer his earlier, brighter works, but I can appreciate the later, darker ones. The reason I highlighted that sentence, is because one of the features of the exhibition were as series of photos taken of details of the restaurant group under different UV wavelengths. A mate of mine used to rave about Rothko, and would happily sit or hours staring at them, given a chance. I was ambivalent, but gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    Anyway, these detail photos reveal that there are many layers to a Rothko, and those layers, which are applied in specific ways, fluoresce in different colours under UV. This is deliberate, not accident, and it seems Rothko was aware of the colour differences while painting, and it’s the reason my mate loves them so much, because he’s sensitive to the UV end of the visual spectrum, and can see details that are invisible to me.
    You are clearly unaware of the underlying subtleties of Rothko’s paintings, and by continuing to dismiss them you are just making yourself look like a pleb.
    I’m still trying to decide on a favourite painting; Hopper’s Nighthawks At The Diner, partly because of the Tom Waits connection, comes near the top of the list at the moment.

CountZero

There’s been a few mentioned that I really like, Bridget Riley, Mark Demsteader, John Singer Sargeant, Hokusai and Hiroshige, for example. I very recently came across the Meredith Frampton painting, and I was mesmerised by it, it’s stunning. There’s one artist who’s works I always look forward to seeing at the RA Summer Exhibition, and that’s Alan Jones RA. His portrait of Darcy Bussell is one I always go to see when I visit the National Portrait Gallery.
    I love his deftness of line drawing, and his vibrant use of colour.

sputnik
    Free Member

Kevevs
    Free Member

Sputnik those images remind me of the designs for BladeRunner by Syd Mead. Incerdible artist imo. who painted them? esp the green one?
    Love this thread keep it spinning…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Goya, El tres de mayo de 1808 en Madrid

avdave2

The portrait in my attic which I can’t show you.

or

Nighthawks; you could walk into a room where that was hanging every day for the rest of your life and come up with a new story every time, or just endlessly embellish on one story. It just looks like it’s about to come to life, if it were hanging in my house I’d keep bursting into the room in the hope of catching it out. I imagine a whole series of films in which that one scene takes place but it’s the only thing that links them.

nick1962
    Free Member

Sappho at the Leucadian rock by Charles Mengin

AlexSimon

kevevs – I inspected the code to see they are Jeremy Mann. I like them too.

sputnik
    Free Member

Kevevs, Alex is spot on. Jeremy Mann, San Francisco based artist. This one is pretty good too :

Klunk
    Free Member

always been partial to a bit of Turner….

samuri
    Free Member

Those Jeremy Mann ones are great!

samuri
    Free Member

Agnes Cecile

surlynot
    Free Member

Sputnik, those Jeremy Mann paintings i reeeaaaalllly like, very Bladerunner as Kevevs said. 8)
    Very dark if you get me drift.
    ^ If i was to pick street art, i like the stuff this french guy – C215 – Christian Guémy is turning out…..

CountZero

Liking those Jeremy Mann paintings a lot! Great use of reflections on wet surfaces.

CountZero

Long been a fan of quality street art, and this one in Bristol is a beaut, I really love the way the various characters blend together:

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I really like stuff from Drew Darcy, but not solely for the subject matter, though it may be a little racy for on here 🙄

TheFopster
    Free Member

Big fan of Glenn Brown myself, in all his styles. Tate show in Liverpool was great.

GEDA
    Free Member

Just saw this the other day and thought it was an amazing painting.

Arnold Boecklin – Island of the Dead

There is something about it I fine totally mesmerizing about it.

AlexSimon

A New York artist I’m appreciating at the moment is Alex Kanevski
    http://www.somepaintings.net/Alex.html

Difficult to pick individual ones, but I’ve tried below:

Kevevs
    Free Member

I could go on about this, but it’s just wonderful.

youngrob

Really interesting thread with lots of brilliant images. My favourite artist is Peter Howson, I’ve always loved the way he paints people.

Kevevs
    Free Member

yess! Peter Howson. Good call!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Do you have a favourite painting?’ is closed to new replies.