Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Do Marzocchi's 2009 Dirt Jumpers have the same poor record as say the 55?
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Pretty much what I said in the title really. Do Marzocchi's 2009 Dirt Jumpers have the same poor record as say the 55?
    Basically looking for a 100mmish travel fork with a 20mm axle for a big (19.5 stone) bloke. Specifically looking at the 2009 Dirt Jumper 1 and 2 models.
    Would these be ok with a larger than average rider for general singletrack/trail riding with some smallish drops (2 feet, 3 if I've taken my brave pills), or is the damping circuit so specifically tuned to the single, large impacts encountered in dirt jumping that even given the larger rider mass I'd be better looking elsewhere?

mamadirt
    Free Member

AFAIK the problems were with the ATA travel adjust which the DJ series does not have. I've just bought a pair of the simpler 55Rs (fixed travel, coil sprung with air preload, rebound adjust only) and they're great. Papadirt has a pair of older DJ forks on his Hoss and they're pretty similar albeit with a much harder spring (still have air preload but no rebound adjust on his basic model).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have run older DJs on the tandem – they stand up to that well so should be Ok for the larger gentleman riding solo. They did need the heaviest springs and air caps to get the spring rate right.

I can't comment on the reliability of the newer ones but the older ones were very simple open bath design with nowt to go wrong

Euro
    Free Member

Mine (o9 DJ 3's) are grand. I'm about 14.5 stone and they bottom out occasionally, but I tend to go a little bit higher than 2-3 feet.

VanHalen

09 dj3`s do they have any rebound damping at all or are they just an air spring and nowt else?

also seen a set at 80mm cheap – can they be adjusted to 100mm?

bit of a hijack – sorry.

surely there is nothing in them to go TOOO wrong?

Euro
    Free Member

VH, no adjustment at all (save addin/removing air, or changing to different oil). I've the 80mm versions and you could have them adapted to 100mm, but it's not a cheap fix. Better to get the 100mm to start.

GrumpyDave, have you considered the Arglyes? CRC are doing 302s for £210.

singlespeedstu

The 09 Dirt Jump fork on our tandem has been fine.

100mm travel, coil with air and rebound adjusters.

The 55 i had on my Nomad was far from fine though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Do Marzocchi's 2009 Dirt Jumpers have the same poor record as say the 55?’ is closed to new replies.