Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • do i need an Avid bleed kit or can it be ghetto'd?
  • alpin
    Free Member

GF dragged her was dragging a bit last week and as such her rear is a bit squidgy.

can i put together a bleed kit from chemist or diy store to give her brake a flush?

carlphillips
    Free Member

epicbleedsolutions do a cheap one

vincienup
    Free Member

I was talking to a mate about avid bleeding as he runs their kit and i have some to fit.

His opinion is that the 10-11 quid kit on fleabay does the job as well as the Avid original.

The key is supposedly the little valve fittings and the plasticky ‘pipe clamps’ (that turn the bleed hose to/from the syringe into a one-way valve with manual intervention). The rest (ie, DOT 5.1, gloves, syringes and pipe) you could scare up really easily, but a small amount of brake fluid is worth buying.

It is worth noting that brake fluid is best bought in only the size bottle you plan to use right now. Apart from Shimano-style mineral (i think) and DOT 5.0 (*NOT* compatible with anything else, ever) brake fluid absorbs water from the air as soon as you open the container, so buying that £10 5l can cos it’ll last for ever is a poor move if you like your brakes without pressure locks from boiled water… For some reason brake fluid becomes wildly more expensive per amount the less you buy… the smallest bottle in Halfords’ is probably at least 4 quid before you start on the rest of the bits.

takisawa2

It’s the syringes you really need, got mine from EBay for pence. The tubing you can get from an aquarium shop. Boots might have the syringes. Ikea do the tube clamps in the form of kitchen food bag clamps.

barn
    Free Member

I’ve got an Avid bleed kit I bought off here but didn’t use.
    You’re welcome to it for a tenner posted.

MIP

BoardinBob
    alpin
    Free Member

thanks barn, but i’m in Germany…. postage a bit of a pain.

i’ll look on the Bay.

cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It is worth noting that brake fluid is best bought in only the size bottle you plan to use right now. Apart from Shimano-style mineral (i think) and DOT 5.0 (*NOT* compatible with anything else, ever) brake fluid absorbs water from the air as soon as you open the container, so buying that £10 5l can cos it’ll last for ever is a poor move if you like your brakes without pressure locks from boiled water… For some reason brake fluid becomes wildly more expensive per amount the less you buy… the smallest bottle in Halfords’ is probably at least 4 quid before you start on the rest of the bits.

50% true, but in reality brake fluid in a sealed bottle won’t absorb moisture, just look at the reservoir in most car’s, there’s no seal on it at all, mine even has a vent hole in the top to allow air in and out!

I’d probably not trust a 10 year old bottle but it’ll be fine for a few years.

abductee
    Free Member

The key is supposedly the little valve fittings

The ones on ebay for 7.75 have a hex nut on the end and it doesn’t fit inside the lever end recess and so doesn’t seal. It can be got around by adding a second 0 ring. The ones for a tenner have slimmer ends that would fit inside the lever and seal.

Otherwise the cheap ones seem to work as well as the Avid.

vincienup
    Free Member

barn – Member

I’ve got an Avid bleed kit I bought off here but didn’t use.
    You’re welcome to it for a tenner posted.

MIP
    Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

🙂 Being cheeky, as I am sometimes, are you still interested in selling this since alpin’s not able to take you up on it?

leejinxuk
    Free Member

I used these guys – http://www.bleedkits.co.uk their kit at £11.25 comes with fluid. They delivered free as well

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘do i need an Avid bleed kit or can it be ghetto'd?’ is closed to new replies.