Home Forums Bike Forum Do I need a 400mm seatpost or can I get away with a 350mm?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Do I need a 400mm seatpost or can I get away with a 350mm?
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

it’s a 400 at the moment but I was looking at some others and they only come in 350

top of tape is at saddle rails

curlie467
    Free Member

Where is the minimum insertion mark, that should tell you your answer.

I could imagine the marks are in a similar position from post to post.

mboy
    Free Member

On the verge of needing a 400mm I’d say, but it’s not quite so clear cut. Check min insertion mark see if its inside the frame or not…

PaulD
    Free Member

I would ignore the post markings and ensure it goes below the top-tube, so at least 350mm.
    Weight saving off your 400mm is negligible (probably under 30 grams).
    Keep what you have?

PaulD

KINGTUT
    Free Member

You need at least 1″ of seat post below the top tube/seat tube junction.

A 350mm will be too short.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s not just the minimum insertion mark you want to look for. The bottom of the post needs to be below the Top Tube/Seat Tube join. That looks pretty marginal to me and given that some saddles are “flatter” than others, might prove problematic in future.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

on that post which is a 400 the min insert is 90mm so will be where 31 is on the tape

so with a 350 the min insert (assuming its 90 again) will be just inside the frame tube…but that bit of the frame is not supported at all so not sure if that matters

it does look borderline actually

RestlessNative
    Free Member

right cheers

I’ll look for another 400 then, the one I have is rather burly and stiff, hence looking for another

A lot of 400mm posts seem to be inline and I need 10-15mm of layback

benman
    Free Member

Have a look at the Controltech ones, they do 400mm with a slight layback. Think Easton may do one too.

stumpy01

Hmmmm, this reminds me I could do with a longer post for my Inbred. I think I am right on the borderline…

In your case, I’d play it safe and get a longer one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Do I need a 400mm seatpost or can I get away with a 350mm?’ is closed to new replies.