Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • DJ Andy Smith, Document 4
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    yunki
    Free Member

Bookmarked for the morning.. Good shout 😀

Steelsreal

oohhh love the first 3….purchasinglistening now

ta very much

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you can still find them, the Electric Picnic, Wellington and Essential Selection mixes are excellent.

hot_fiat

Ooh nice spot. His stuff comes out so infrequently and it’s always top quality. Not bad for portisheads substitute DJ.

binners

Ooooooooooo – good call! Cheers flashy! Were they playing at your gentleman’s club while you reclined in your leather wing-backed armchair with a brandy and a cigar? 😉

klunky
    Free Member

I can stream it but cant download it. Any tips?

klunky
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners, I iz down wit da yoot, me bredren. Innit, tho?

Erm. 😀

I just love his style, totally eclectic, mashing up some Northern Soul with a little Sabbath and some Tom Jones. A few rare funk grooves some “original B-boy selections out of Japan”, some “69 skinhead reggae” and more. Utterly bonkers, full of stuff you’d never hear anywhere else, yet he always nails it for me.

Klunky, there’s a download link on this page – http://www.mixcloud.com/DJAndySmith/dj-andy-smith-document-4-unreleased/

juanking

If you like this then try the link below:

hot_fiat

I take it you heard Mr Howlett’s (prodigy) Dirtchamber sessions? Allegedly recorded in one go. In a similar vein, the Avalanches have new material on their fb page.

grum
    Free Member

Woop, thanks!

wee-al
    Free Member

Thank you, Andy Smith’s document series is amazing.

rewski
    Free Member

nice: not heard ray bryant – up above the rock or Nino Ferrer – Mao et moi for a while. David Holmes and Andy Votel spins. Cheers for link

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Not quite the same but it is due out next month and looks quite interesting. From Adrian Utley of Portishead.

link and some of the blurb below.

http://invadarecords.bigcartel.com/product/adrian-utley-s-guitar-orchestra-in-c-cd-bonus-dvd-invada-exclusive

Written in 1964,‘In C’ is one of the most influential pieces of music from the 20th Century, it established minimalism as a music genre. In C’s simple musical rules – 53 musical phrases in C and no duration – allow for infinite variations.

Utley’s impressive Guitar Orchestra is augmented by organs and a clarinet making for a mesmeric sound experience. The Guitar Orchestra consists of 24 musicians from Bristol: 19 guitarists including John Parish (PJ Harvey), Thought Forms, and Jim Barr (Portishead live band); 4 organs and a bass clarinet.

The effect is an organic musical experience very much created in front of the audience both fragile and thunderingly uplifting.

“I’ve been exploring the sonic possibilities of massed guitars for a while now in various contexts from pure noise to the sacred choral music of Arvo Part. So it was interesting to see what would happen if we had 20 electric guitars plus organs playing ‘In C’. It is an amazing piece of writing and original thought. A new free idea of organised group playing. The beginnings of what we know as minimalism.” Adrian Utley

yunki
    Free Member

try the hongkongpingpong mixtapes to see the artform taken to the next level

warton
    Free Member

superb. some old rap I haven’t heard in a long time on this 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘DJ Andy Smith, Document 4’ is closed to new replies.