Home Forums Chat Forum Disciplining your child whilst out

• This topic has 51 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Disciplining your child whilst out
  • thered

We have a traffic light thing at home and TheLittleRed moves up and down depending on behaviour, works really well.

Any suggestions how we can commute this to work when out of the house?

cloudnine
    Free Member

A tazer? And maybe some gorilla tape

DickBarton

Choices and see them through…

mechanicaldope

The world is full of naughty steps/corners…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Use a verbal version? It might take a go or two to visualise it, but they’ll get it.

Our MO is to warn that they’re being naughty (sometimes they just don’t know) and there will be consequences when we get home – otherwise they invariably learn that they can act like a dick in public because Dad won’t tell them off in public – or maybe Mum, Dad it seems isn’t a afraid to embarrass them.

onehundredthidiot

Was really impressed with a couple, who were in a group, in Ullapool. Young lad was being boisterous, they calmly put him on a naughty seat explained he was not being as good as he could be. Kid had cry. All sorted.

funkmasterp

I use pepper spray on Funk Jr, works a treat. Don’t tell the social though 8O

allthegear
    Free Member

Waterboarding?

Rachel (doesn’t have kids)

theotherjonv

Three coloured ribbons to tie round a wrist as a reminder what level he’s at?

We had a square of red fabric as a portable naughty step. Works anywhere. But re p-jay, just wait till I get you home works for the older ones but for younger it’s all in the moment…. so develop a thick skin to be able to take action there and then irrespective of who’s looking. If people can’t accept a child being appropriately disciplined frankly it’s their issue.

the-muffin-man

Clip round the ear and kick up the arse!

…or do what you do at home, if it works there it should work anywhere – unless your home tactics aren’t sociably acceptable. :D

project
    Free Member

How can you discipline other peoples kids, without them realising theyre a bad parent.

bails

Waterboarding?

Rachel (doesn’t have kids any more)

FTFY

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m of the old school (being 61 this month) & must admit to having the odd whack from my Mum, but rarely Dad, which gave me massive respect for both of them, but no way could it be ever be called abuse as todays do gooders call it.

My 2 lads were never ‘whacked/smacked/clipped round the ear’ from me or their Mum cos they never really needed it. A very stern ‘OI’ from me seemed to do the trick for some reason.
    My stepdaughter used to give Caitlyn a ‘flick’ of a finger round the ear if she was misbehaving in her early years & now she just has to say, ‘do you want a flick?’ & Cait (now 12) says, ‘no Mum, get lost with your flicks’!

Nowadays she just withdraws Caits phone/tv etc.

*Stepdaughter is a teacher, 14-16yr olds near Doncaster BTW*

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Limpet mines.

My Dad used to torture me with these if I was naughty.

wrightyson
    Free Member

How can you discipline other peoples kids, without them realising theyre a bad parent.

I genuinely don’t gaf, who’s kids they are, sisters, sister in laws, friends, my own kids friends, if they misbehave in or around me they get told whats what.

zippykona

We had 3 boys in the shop who were far from being naughty just amusing themselves.
    Mum deemed them to be mucking about and on the word SIT they dropped to the floor like they’d been shot and sat in complete silence.
    What went on in that household I don’t know but it ain’t healthy.

bearnecessities

I genuinely don’t gaf, who’s kids they are, sisters, sister in laws, friends, my own kids friends, if they misbehave in or around me they get told whats what.

Hope it’s not grammar <upside-down smiley>

Drac

km79
    Free Member

Shock collar for dog training? Maybe not legal though. Big or multiple zaps for red, medium zap for amber and just a wee zap for fun or green to keep them on their toes.

I neither own a child or dog.

kayak23

Start dancing and you’ll only stop if they calm down.

BoardinBob

I really hope the Irish family that were in the apartment upstairs from us on holiday find this thread.

5 kids. At least one crying and/or misbehaving at every waking minute. Zero attempt from the parents to address the situation at any time.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What on earth are you all talking about

matt_outandabout

Start dancing and you’ll only stop if they calm down

Our neighbour threatened this – for his sons 18th.

Things got out of hand at 2am with some extra visitors.

He calmly walked into the lounge and broke out the running man….and carried on with every disco move possible until son had cleaned every visitor out the house. :lol:

CountZero

Zip-ties and duct tape, it’s the only way to be sure.

CountZero

Once, when I was little, and didn’t want to go to bed, I threw a hissy-fit at a turn in the stairs and kicked my mum on the leg.
    In return I got a really hard kick on the leg, that shocked me into silence.
    I never did it again.

sbob
    Free Member

Green, amber, red.
    Back of hand, front of hand, fist. :-)

cranberry
    Free Member

A shock collar is a really good idea – every parent of a child in a public place needs to have a charged up shock collar on, that is triggerable over wifi.

“Actually we’re not really like father and son, more like best friends”

kzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrt

“Aww, Timmy, stop annoying a room full of people with your anti-social behaviour, pur-lease ?”

kzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrt

The parents need to be trained to take responsibility for being parents, long before we worry about training the kids to be well behaved.

mahalo

tell me more about the traffic light system??

dissonance

Doesnt work if the kid is a cyclist. They just keep jumping them allegedly.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

dissonance – Member

Doesnt work if the kid is a cyclist. They just keep jumping them allegedly.

You won the thread :lol:

thered

@Mahalo We have green smiling face, yellow not happy or sad face and red unhappy face, all laminated and on the wall in the living room.

TheLittleRed’s smiling picture is placed onto relevant face depending on behaviour.

Usually used with the phrase “it’s good to be green” cos they will probably hear that at school too.

TheLittleRed seems to be more Visual & Kinesthetic if you go in for VAK so it works a treat in the house, he really dislike’s being on the red face.

DrJ

@Mahalo We have green smiling face, yellow not happy or sad face and red unhappy face, all laminated and on the wall in the living room.

Bloody hell. You lot are WEIRD!!

Drac

Does Tarquin not sometimes rebel?

DezB
    Free Member

DrJ has it

mattsccm
    Free Member

The traffic light system is used, in some form, in every primary school I have visited ( got to be into 3 digits).

johndoh
    Free Member

We have a marble jar at home and do daily (well we try to) reviews of their good and bad behaviour during the day and add/take away marbles accordingly – so not only are they punished for bad behaviour but rewarded for good. If they play up whilst out somewhere we just remind them of the jar waiting for them back at home.

Once the jar is full they get to choose a treat such as a day out at the seaside or go out for a family meal.

Drac

GregMay
    Free Member

thered – good idea, something we’ve thought about with ours for when she gets any realisation that she has actions and consequence!

johndoh
    Free Member
    BillOddie

We use 1-2-3 in/out of our house.

In the house, you get to a 3, into Time Out you go.

Out of the house, you get to a 3, something gets taken away be it electronics or pudding. (you tell them the penalty when they get put on a 1)

Works surprisingly well on my 7 and 9 year olds.

Certain behavior will earn you an immediate trip to Three town, this is generally dick kicking, or throwing shit. Pretty rare in my household.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Disciplining your child whilst out’ is closed to new replies.