Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Disc Brake Help needed
  • steveindevon
    Free Member

I have a problem with my disc braks on my giant that I am sure someone can help with.
    I have oro k18’s on my bike, got rid of the original giant ones.
    I have had them on the bike for a while now and have not so long ago changed the pads.
    The problem is they seem to touch the disc still and so my wheel does not seem to smoothly. One the rear I have let out some of the oil (not sure if this is the right thing to do) and this has helped but would like to know if I have done something wrong, do they need bleeding and resetting.
    Thanks

scotroutes

Are they genuine Formula pads? Lots of the non-Formula ones tend to be too thick to it well and it may be necessary to sand them down a little bit to take of some of the braking material.

walla24
    Free Member

Is the calliper aligned properly over the disc (ie is it only rubbing one side?)

If rubbing both sides then yep gently lever the pads/pistons back into the calliper, if they are under too much pressure and pop out immeadiately you can release some brake fluid….

If you do let out some of the brake fluid, make sure you only open the calliper nipple at the same time as pressing the pads back or it may suck in some air. If the lever feels ‘spongy’ you may have let in air and could do with a bleed.

And dont get it on yer pads!

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Sometimes if the brake has been bled previously when the pads are slightly worn it will be impossible to push back the pads/pistons unless you release some fluid.

This is fine, but always release fluid from the lever (highest point in the system). Opening the calliper to release fluid is more likely to introduce air into the system.

The pads need to be pushed all the way back before you attempt to reinstall your wheel/rotor. Then it’s just a case of realigning your calliper over the rotor to prevent rubbing.

If you have a spongy lever at this point it may be that you’ve released too much fluid and a bleed of the system will be required.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Disc Brake Help needed’ is closed to new replies.