Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Digital Switchover
  • emma82
    Free Member

What am I suppose to do then? Seeing as it’s next week I ought to sort it out right?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

stop watching TV / watch TV on internet (www.tvcatchup.com)

emma82
    Free Member

Well, generally we do to be honest which is why we haven’t switched. not big on TV full stop but everyone seems to be in a complete panic. Mentioned it to someone yesterday and they nearly died of shock that we could contemplate living without a TV!

GrahamS

So do you currently just have “old” telly
    i.e. no set top box and no Freeview channels, just the five basic channels?

stumpy01

If you’ve got a set-top box you have to re-tune it (well, we’ve just had to).
    Our ‘programme guide’ thing now displays nothing at all for BBC1 so we can’t record anything on BBC1 any more. Well, I think we can manually program the time in if we want, but god knows how and that’ll get tedious in place of the series-link thing.

emma82
    Free Member

Well, there was a sticker on our TV which we bought about 3 years ago that said it was digital ready? We could occasionally get some freeview channels ages ago like Dave (joy 🙁 ) etc but they seem to have gone now? BBC1 disappeared for a while this morning which is what made me thing about it, but then it came back 🙂 We bought a new ariel and put it in the attic but it still doesn’t work. Someone said we had too much wire on the ariel so needed to cut it down? I wasn’t sure if they were joking?

Edit: yep we only get 5 channels at the moment unless I press a button that then goes onto Dave.

molgrips
    Free Member

We bought a new ariel and put it in the attic but it still doesn’t work

Pointing in the right direction?

ton

emma, does your aerial work ok now?

iain1775
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the wrong tyres for Digital

GrahamS

Well sounds like you have a telly with a Freeview receiver built-in so the good news is you shouldn’t need to buy a set top box or anything.

You probably just need to fiddle with your aerial to get a decent signal (your telly might have a little signal meter on one of its set up menus somewhere – look at that while fiddling with the aerial).

Once you get a good signal then tell it to do a complete retune and see how you go.

GrahamS

You can find out what sort of coverage you have here:
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/Switchover

And it also has guides about retuning etc.

uplink
    Free Member

That button you pressed to get Dave – it is probably marked DTV

That’s your digital TV

Press it again & then look for another button marked ‘guide’ or ‘epg’ – that should give you a list

Cougar

If you can get Dave, you can get Freeview.

After the switchover it will probably still work. If it doesn’t, there’s probably a menu option on your TV to set the tuner scanning, it’ll be called ‘automatic tune’ or something slimilar. RTFM?

rOcKeTdOg

you just need to retune your built in freeview (you are a girl, you are supposed to read the instructions!)

emma82
    Free Member

Well, the ariel works fine on terrestrial tv, will try turning it round or retune though I’m sure we did that when we bought it.

Thanks for the link graham, will have a look.

Not got instructions anymore rocketdog!! God knows where they are. Will check what the button is called on the remote later too.

What does RTFM mean?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, the ariel works fine on terrestrial tv

The digital signal might be coming from somewhere else altogether.

There’s a website where you can find what transmitter you are covered under, and you can find it on a map and point in that direction.

Cougar

What does RTFM mean?

Read the friendly manual.

(-:

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 for retuning the Freeview received in your telly.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

emma – we digitally switched over ages ago. before the switch i already had a freeview box and was happily watching all manner of rubbish when one day some channels went missing. with less rubbish to watch, i watched less tv, so no bad thing. Over the next couple of months, the tv would tell me it had found new channels and ask if I wanted to retune. if I said yes, it would retune itself and take away another couple of channels. eventually, i was down to E4+1 (but not E4), BBC1 and 3, and some shopping channels. most of the radio stations went as well, which is when I discovered Internet radio.
    then the Big Retune day happened, and most of them came back.
    then a week later there was a second retune, and the rest came back.
    so retune every so often and relax, technology knows what it’s doing.

jon1973
    Free Member

What am I suppose to do then? Seeing as it’s next week I ought to sort it out right?

yes, I hate the way they spring these things on you from out of the blue. 😉

emma82
    Free Member

Well, according to that website our area switchover doesn’t start until September 2011

ohh! button says DTV! but i pressed it and it says ‘no signal’ 🙁 I pressed guide but there is nothing there?

stumpy01

Have you tried retuning the digital tuner part of your TV.

Under menu, there’ll be something like set-up or ‘freeview set-up. We’ve got a separate freeview box, so ours says (imaginatively) ‘box set-up’. In the set-up menu (once you find it), there should be a ‘re-tune’ or ‘search for channels’ thing you can select. Do this and then go and make a cuppa.

This will search through and find your available digital channels. I’d do that before going and randomly twiddling the ariel.

emma82
    Free Member

oh poop, god knows what I’ve done now. It’s searching for something but I don’t know what 🙁 eek, I think I am going to leave it 😯 that or I have an hour before other half gets in or I’m in trouble

allthepies
    Free Member

Post your TV make/model up here, we’ll use google and tell you how to retune the digital tuner 😉

Cougar

It’s searching for something

That sounds right, to me.

How are you receiving Dave?

emma82
    Free Member

It’s a samsung DV3 HD ready TV 🙂

Cougar

(and by that I don’t mean this)

emma82
    Free Member

Think I just re-tuned the channels I already have?

Cougar

Probably.

The point is, that when they switch off the analogue signal, the digital channels may move, neccessitating a retune. Ie, if it stops working, you’ll need to do what you just did, again.

allthepies
    Free Member
    emma82
    Free Member

cool thanks allthepies, I did it and it found no services, said I had to check the ariel connection? I’m not getting up in the attic though! Weekend job I think.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Digital Switchover’ is closed to new replies.