Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • different iPhone v's Desire question
  • Cougar

Nick > you’re preaching to the converted; I’m an Android owner, just trying to field the questions objectively.

Hacking ROM’s? Please… you only need to do that if you want to play… and there is absolutely no need for the OP to do that.

Depends on the phone. If I hadn’t spent an amount of time hacking the phone, I’d be stuck on Android 1.5 still. I’m now running 1.6 (woo!) which is the latest firmware available for the handset. Samsung’s support is diabolical.

PC software has always been a little hit and miss with lots of phones, but that’s hardly a fault of Android… more to do with the handset manufacturer.

Perhaps, but whether it’s the manufacturer or the OS is immaterial, point is the problem exists. As an end user, blaming Samsung rather than Google doesn’t help fix the issue.

As for the OS upgrade… am not sure what’s techie about this. It’s all done over the air with Android

Again, this is handset-dependent. Specifically, it’s dependent on your phone being a “Google Experience” phone, IIRC. There’s no firmware OTA updates for the Galaxy, you’ve to plug it into the PC and use the supplied PC suite. First person to spot the flaw here gets a biscuit.

Both phones are good… they do slightly different things, and have slightly different strengths and weaknesses… but most people, they’ll get on just fine with both.

No arguments here, that’s pretty succinct.

iDave
    Free Member

OK, decision was made for me by t-mobiles **** iPhone options.

I now own a Desire and so far it’s enough of an advance on my Nokia 5800 for me not to be upset about not having a jesusphone

now, if only there had been some threads about Android apps…..

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nice one iDave!

A good decision, even if it wasn’t your own!

muggomagic

I think you’ll be very pleased with your desire.

I had a desire and although it was a good phone, it wasn’t as good as the iphone that I had previously. So I went back to the flock.

When you get it download Handcent SMS as the standard sms app is pony and also Dolphin HD browser as again the standard one isn’t very good.

DrP

The conclusion I came to when everyone was harking on about their iPhones wasn’t the fact that iPhones are great, but more the fact that smartphones are great, and the iPhone was a wide, simple, good introduction into the smartphone market.

I’ve owned multiple Win Mobile phones, which have internet, eMail, calendar etc etc, so these functions aren’t ‘new’ to the iPhone, but whereas on my WM phone they were clunky and hard to use, the iPhone made them easy (plus it’s a pretty package).

When this conclusion sunk in, I finally made my mind up – i Now own a lovely new desire as it does everything (pedantic people – take this with a pinch of salt as it works both ways!) a smart phone should do, with the added benefit of (in comparison to the iPhone):
    – being cheaper
    – easier to insure
    – widgets on the home screen (great if you want them, which I do!)

I must say, it’s a cut above the old WM phones I had!

Basically, iPhone lovers/android lovers – let’s all hug as deep down we’re all smart phone lovers……..

😉

DrP

DrP

oh – get chompSMS as it’s a pretty texting app.

I tell thee – I can’t wait for swype to be available – SWMBO has it on her galaxy – pretty clever bit of kit!

DrP

Cougar

+1 to that, Swype rocks (so long as it’s not spotting with rain or you have sweaty hands, otherwise it goes batsh!t).

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘different iPhone v's Desire question’ is closed to new replies.