Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Differences between the big supermarkets
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Co-Op are no different than almost all the others

an insider tells me their ethical investments are equally iffy 🙁

Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ some people taking this thread seriously 😆

No question that there is a direct correlation between looks and affluence. Well off blokes tend to marry/have children with good looking totty, as indeed good looking totty go for men with money in order to provide well for them and their offspring. It's the law of nature, therefore on balance, the better the area and the more 'up-market' supermarkets will see a higher proportion of attractive customers, and vice versa.

Drarse In answer to your question, I shop at Lidl and blend in quite nicely – nuff said 😥 Their fruit and veg is excellent and I take a lot of satisfaction from buying naturally shaped produce as opposed to the perfectly round/straight offerings demanded by the 'posh' places.

Most of my shopping is done at the local Co-op, of which there are 2 in my small village. Amusingly, the one at my end is always cheaper than the one at the other, presumably because the other end has a new'ish private estate. I only found out this the other day when a well meaning individual told me that bottles of cider were on special at £0.75 at 'my' Co-op and they were £1.75 at the other. The fact that I was browsing the wine section for a robust red at the time seemed to entirely escape him. Still, it's the thought that counts 😉

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Indeed young Woody.

My next supermarket study will be looking into where people with no sense of humour shop. (lidl judging by the responses)…….

Talkemada
    Free Member

Still waiting for that pic, Rswank…. 🙄

No question that there is a direct correlation between looks and affluence.

Utter, utter bollocks. Wealthier people simply have nicer clothes, better make-up, perhaps. The only real difference is that obesity is more prevalent in poorer communities. But I see just as many fat, blotchy people in Waitrose as I might in Tesco. As for 'doing themselves up'; it's a supermarket, ffs! Perhaps the Proles are less pretentious than the nice Middle Class types…

I live in London, so you get a wonderful mix of people anyway. In one area, you'll find some stunning Colombian women, in another, gorgeous Pakistani women. And so-on. Diets vary between different groups; tbh, many people in Britain eat a lot of crap, whereas many Asians and Africans in some of the poorer areas may eat a more 'basic' yet healthier diet. Certainly more fresh veg and stuff.

I think what the OP wants to say, is that in Asda, you get more fat 'Chavs', whereas in Waitrose, you get more 'Yummy Mummies'. But to take a sneering, condescending attitude toward people based on their looks and perceived 'Class', is just stuck-up ignorant snobbishness. And perhaps a secret plea to want to fit in with the 'Beautiful People'.

Come on, Rswank; let's see the pic! Let's see if you're a Waitrose, man, a Tescos Man, or, God Forbid, an Iceland man….

Good thread in a strange way; exposes the snobs on here, shows up their petty-minded ignorant prejudices, and serves to invalidate anything they may say henceforth, regarding class, culture etc. If you've posted prejudiced shite on here, we'll know you're a snob, and therefore not to be taken seriously in future. Thanks! 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There's a link on page 3.

Talkemada
    Free Member

I'm waiting for Rswank to post up a pic. See if he's actually got the bottle to… 😀

Woody
    Free Member

Utter, utter bollocks. Wealthier people simply have nicer clothes, better make-up, perhaps.

Utter, utter bollocks. Go to a riverside pub on a Sunday lunchtime in eg. Barnes and then go to one in Erith……………there is only so much that you can compensate with nice clothes and make-up!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Wealthier people are also less likely to be obese or smoke and generally have an easier life, less real stress etc, all things that help you to look better.

Although when you get to a certain level of wealth the gene pool probably become a bit too restricitve hence all the horsey faced 'rahs'.

rootes1

i was nearly born in asda in stockton…. thankfully my mum got to hospital in time

retro83
    Free Member

'visually offensive people' lol!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Go to a riverside pub on a Sunday lunchtime in eg. Barnes and then go to one in Erith.

Or, I could go to a Turkish coffee shop in Dalston*, or a Punjabi restaurant in Upton Park*, etc, etc… 🙄

* Both very 'deprived' areas, yet somehow full of some very attractive people….

DrRSwank
    Free Member

But I see just as many fat, blotchy people in Waitrose as I might in Tesco.

Hmmmm, it's an interesting point Talkemada. Perhaps I have got it wrong. Perhaps there is an even spread of uglies across all the supermarkets and I just don't "see" them in Waitrose. After all, they do say you tend to hunt amongst your own when looking for potential in the ladies…….

But nothing I have said is snobbish – it's simply an observation. If Woolworths was still open it would be the benchmark of ugliness – but it isn't. So all I'm saying is there does seem to be a certain aesthetic grading between the supermarkets.

Oh, and no picture, you shop in cheap supermarkets and I worry what you'd do with it 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DrRSwank – I'll see your Woolworths and raise you a Wilkinson's.

Woody
    Free Member

I'll see your Wilkinsons and raise you Poundstretcher and TK Maxx

DrRSwank
    Free Member

What's a Wilkinsons?

You're taking me into unknown territory here……

Talkemada
    Free Member

After all, they do say you tend to hunt amongst your own when looking for potential in the ladies

Do you? 😯 Blimey, I just look for attractiveness in the individual, and have no concept of what is 'my own'…

Perhaps I have got it wrong

That's ok. Admitting you're wrong is the first step on the road to enlightenment… 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nike(y) Polo Shirt! 😯

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

"What's a Wilkinsons?"

Wilko's is the best DIY store there is! Its an aladins cave of all sorts of stuff considerably cheaper than your B&Q's etc… although some of the quality is a bit iffy.

As to the asda/sainsburys/waitrose all out of the same factory, I think it does. When I livede in Sheffield we used to go to a distribution warehouse where you could get short dated food cheap. They sold Waitrose/Asda/Tesco/etc all off the back of the same lorry so to speak

Waitrose is ok but very expensive for what you get, especially the veg. Booths is where its at, beautiful fresh produce, and Waitrose ish prices

mudshark
    Free Member

Blimey, I just look for attractiveness in the individual, and have no concept of what is 'my own'…

Bottom feeder….

hora
    Free Member

People at Asda push in. Well at Trafford centre one I've experienced it a few times at the self-service tills. You wait until they are just about to put their basket down…..then you say 'excuse me behind me'. 😆

Talkemada
    Free Member

I do like a nice Bottom, Mudshark, it has to be said! 😀

jojoA1
    Free Member

In contrast to many places in the UK, our local LIDL and Aldi are the places for the best 'lookers'. That's because all the labels on the stuff is in 'foreign' and the locals can't cope with that. It is mostly patronised by the migrant workers of Portugese, Lithuanian and Polish origin who are not only stunning (male and female) but are well dressed (comparative to the local oiks) and can likely spell the word 'odyssey' too, as they have a better command of English than the indigenous population.

The local M&S food store is entirely full of old age pensioners buying extortionate meals for one and wondering why their pension won't keep them in kumquat conserve.

Talkemada
    Free Member

😆

I have a problem with the word 'rhythm'.

Good job I'm not Catholic… 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

I live in a fairly well to-do area of Cardiff called Pontprennau, which is right next to a scuzzy area called Pentwyn. Asda is actually in Pontprennau but bills itself as Pentwyn so as not to alienate its customer base, and Waitrose is actually in Pentwyn but bills itself Pontprennau for the same reason.

Asda is messy; very very busy all the time; plays crap pop music so loud you have to raise your voice to talk to your shopping partner; is full of white trash customers who eat the food before paying for it, let their kids run amok, leave stuff they don't want anywhere (even if it was meant to be in the fridge and will spoil if you leave it in the sweet aisle) and are generally unpleasant, especially in the car park; stocks a great range of chips, beer, crisps, tinned sausages and beans etc etc

Waitrose is peaceful, never busy; the staff and customers are super nice; they have great food especially pre-prepared stuff that runs from real stock in pouches to sauces to soups to potted pies and things that are basically high class ready meals to lovely deserts and also a great line in steaks that are cheaper cuts but somehow outstandingly tasty; they also sell a great range of eco stuff – you are lucky to get ecover in Asda but Waitrose have like three or four brands of eco friendly detergents

A trolley in Waitrose for us costs maybe 10% more than Asda, or more if we take advantage of the nicer stuff and spend more (eg we don't buy ready meals in Asda cos they aren't so nice).

Having said that, Asda sells cheap DVDs and their New York style cheesecake is amazing, definitely the best one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I do like a nice Bottom, Mudshark, it has to be said!

You are SFB, and I claim my £5!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

A trolley in Waitrose for us costs maybe 10% more than Asda

I struggle to believe that this price difference is that small.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends whats in your trolley. I find Asda much cheaper for half-decent meat but expensive on pre-made meals, whereas my locas M&S seems the reverse.

stealthcat

I went off the whole Co-op ethical stance when I discovered that most of the store staff in the west of England seem to be on minimum wage… I'm told that when Lidl bought some of the ex-Somerfield stores, a lot of the staff stayed on to work for Lidl simply because they got paid significantly better!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Lidl and Aldi are knoew to pay better wages especially for management etc….

Wonder why that is??

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I loved Asda – proper cheap. Unfortuantly its dead chavvy, so the GF has insisted we shop at sainsbury's, which seems over priced to me, especially the fruit & veg. As for Lidl etc, no hope.

Asda remains the only place I've seen a fist fight between mums over easter eggs though 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

I find Asda much cheaper for half-decent meat

Why would you want to eat half decent meat??? Do you not have a decent butcher near you?

allyharp

hy would you want to eat half decent meat??? Do you not have a decent butcher near you?

Sadly, these days I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were no butchers near him. Even if he lived in a large-ish town.

I can't think of one that's near me.

westkipper
    Free Member

I've noticed the same as jojo, with regard to my local Lidl- the place often has a fair few slimmer, healthier looking customers who are invariably the local eastern Europeans.
    Asda? Considering that the former boss of Asda is the fudd who created so much damage and demoralisation in my workplace- Allan Leighton, well, I wouldnt shop there if they were giving the stuff away.

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Differences between the big supermarkets’ is closed to new replies.