Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • did we ever really have long hot summers and cold winters.?
  • yunki
    Free Member

Did we…? Really..?

Maybe there have been a few isolated instances of this pattern, a rogue decade here or there spread over hundreds upon hundreds of millenia..

Perhaps historically effing dire weather is what characterises the British Isles..?
    Heeeeeeyyyyyy… wait a minute

unklehomered
    Free Member

I remember some hot summers, but childhood was for the most part snow free.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Global warming, innit?

😉

Drac

Yes we did but not every year, I remember some really wet summers and mild winters as a kid. I also remember some very hot summerr, 77 and more recently 2003. Also some really bad winters most rescent would 2009/10.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Of course there was. Long magical summers, and beautifully chilly winters – God look kindly on this Sceptred Isle.

And then free-born Englishmen committed an abomination and voted for Th*tch*r, it’s been downhill ever since mate.

yunki
    Free Member

ahhhhhh… ’77. I still have a tan from that year..

89 – 93 was pretty hot too iirc

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’m in my fifties, and I reckon I’ve seen less than half a dozen decent summers. So that’s one a decade.

Ones that stick out:

1967, 1969, 1976, 1995, 2003

Maybe we’re due another soon ?

Some proper cold winters in the early 80s due to Mount ST Helen’s eruption I believe…

zippykona

2006 was really hot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I grew up in the west side of Ireland. It just rained. All the **** time. Except sometimes in winter it was really cold rain. And in June, while we had exams, we’d have one hot weekend.

skiboy
    Free Member

AD94.

‘The sky is overcast with continual rain and cloud, but the cold is not severe.’
    (Cornelius Tacitus, Agricola, 12.3.)

yep thats the UK

Drac

2006 yeah another hot year, seems to be when ever my wife is heavily pregnant. Well at least the last 10 years, no I won’t be doing my bit for the good of the weather.

aracer
    Free Member

lol @ernie – very smoothly done.

darrell
    Free Member

sometime around the Eocene

TheBrick
    Free Member

We have a maritime climate, not a continental so no. People watch too many film and confuse their memories of films with reality.

cinnamon_girl

Well, as an old girl all I can remember is holidays spent every year in the West Country with continuous rain. Bored bored bored. 😐

project
    Free Member

If the cold weather continues, camerooon will find a way to tax it, and as for snow, expect a charge to clear it.

Winters always had snow for weeks and summers always had sunshine and a few thunderstorms, and no school.

dannyh
    Free Member

Of course we did. How else did we run out in our shorts and shirts to give the bottles back to the lemonade van and get tuppence for each one?

Cricket on the green and hilltop picnics with no wasps. Ah, England.

Aristotle
    Free Member

The English summer, it has been said, consists of two fine days and a thunderstorm. This assertion is normally attributed to George II…

The English Summer

We just live with the constant optimism that, after grey & wet autumns, winters and springs, ‘summer’ will be warm and sunny.

If we didn’t we’d be more miserable

Del

Well, as an old girl all I can remember is holidays spent every year in the West Country with continuous rain

pfft! non. what people told you was the west country, was not, or, you visited during rainy season. it’s bloody tropical down here. we have palm trees and everything. HTH. 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well, as an old girl all I can remember is holidays spent every year in the West Country with continuous rain. Bored bored bored.

It definitely wetter out here than in the east. I grew up in Essex and even through the dim glass of memory I know there were fewer rainy days. If you ever think of moving to the west buy a really good waterproof.

andytherocketeer

but childhood was for the most part snow free.

snow almost every single year as a kid, and that was down in Kent.

Then 1 epic snow year (1987?) where the snow was up to the knackers, and the JCB’s turned up 4 days later to dig the village out. I remember an icicle 2 ft wide from our roof all the way to the ground, via the porch.

Then booger all snow for years and years.

Only remember 2 long hot summers. One must have been early 80’s? And one a few years back (over 40C here).

yunki
    Free Member

we have palm trees and everything.

I’ve planted a rice paddy this year.. 😐

piemonster

Is it time for map?

image by piemonster, on Flickr

West equals wet

glupton1976
    Free Member

2005 was hot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland should be navy in that map! 🙂

sunnrider
    Free Member

I grew up in the “sunny” south east of Ireland. I remember it snowing only 3 times during winters as I was going to school. Being able to throw a snowball was a big deal. I also remember being able to organise beach parties in summer, complete with electrical equipment and sound systems with no worries about the rain.

It´s been a few years since I left and apparently heavy snow is a regular winter thing now. I also lived on the west coast for a while, I don´t think it ever stops raining there. All anyone can do is sit by the fire and drink.

I´ve seen pics from when my parents lived in London during the 60´s and it´s always sunny. Course, maybe they only took the camera out on nice days.

Del

meh. those blue bits mostly correspond to high ground, in the south west’s case, the moors.

footflaps

As a kid I remember a series of very wet summers. My parents had a cottage in the Yorkshire Dales and so all our summer holidays were spent there. One year it was so bad we came come early after 2 weeks of continual rain every day…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘did we ever really have long hot summers and cold winters.?’ is closed to new replies.