Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Devil’s Staircase Glencoe – conditions and how long?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Going up to Glencoe tomorrow – will be mostly walking/climbing but I’m taking the bike. I really like the look of devil’s staircase, but is it just going to be a toboggan run at the moment? Roughly how long would it take? Think I could probably blag my gf to pick me up in kinlochleven at the end.

Stu_N

We’ve been up in the northern Highlands (near Dingwall) – ground conditions were fantastic until about Wed then there was a bit of a thaw and a full refreeze on Ne’erday so a lot of water ice formed (rather than frozen ground which is ace). Coming home today down the A9 there was fresh snow above probably 550-600m in the east and sleet at Drumochter and it’s all set to freeze again tonight. Obviously conditions in the west are going to be quite different but based on this week’s experience I wouldn’t fancy it as a bike myself.

In summer it’s probably under 2 hours from Kingshouse to Kinlochleven but in winter, who knows really. Depends how much snow and ice you meet.

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers – hmm might just take the crampons then. Wonder if the man made trails will be ok, eg Witches Trails.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Devil’s Staircase Glencoe – conditions and how long?’ is closed to new replies.