• This topic has 312 replies, 142 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 33 posts - 281 through 313 (of 313 total)
  • Details in films that bug you
  • DezB
    Free Member

That whole bullshit American dream with teenagers living millionaires lifestyle in gigantic beach front houses, driving around in brand new sports cars, like it’s the norm and everyone’s doing it!

A quick watch of Catfish on MTV will see you right 😆

natrix
    Free Member

Whenever there’s a horse in the background it makes the sound of a stallion, regardless of the actual sex of the horse……………

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2019/jan/04/where-theres-a-horse-theres-a-neigh-why-must-we-hear-animals-on-screen

sharkbait
    Free Member

Another one – why, when there’s a red alert, does everything go dark and red? I mean the ‘red’ part of red alert is surely metaphorical?

I don’t think so. I think it dates back to the war when (in the navy) they would switch the lighting over to red at night to preserve the night vision of people on deck/bridge/watch.

Could be wrong though.

richmars

Not really the sort of films we’re talking about but when they have old footage from, for eg, the 1st World War, and they dub a sound track over what is clearly a silent film.

It’s a silent film, adding your interruption of the sounds is a lie.

Kuco

Going back to the motorbike sound effects. Watching LA Finest, a woman escapes on a quad bike doing about 10 mph with the sound effects of a superbike tear arseing off.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ Dez B – Never heard of that Catspiss, Catnip whatever, but can imagine it would make me vom. MTV has been wack for a long time.

It’s funny I can’t stand to be in the same room as one of those generic super hero films or them American sitcoms which are all the same. Yet I can tolerate some of those panel shows which are all the same!

For 2020 I am going to work on being more consistent with my outrage and disdain.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

When someone in New York pops out for groceries, they always return home carrying brown paper bag with a baguette poking out of the top.

I guess that its some kind of visual clue…not booze/ not a bomb.

And I can’t take credit for this, but at the end of west side story the protagonist is running through SPANISH HARLEM, shouting ‘MARIA’, ‘MARIA’

Only ONE woman comes to the window…:)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Ever since ‘the matrix’ was released, its been perfectly feasible for movie stars to land from any height if you make a fist and splay your legs out on impact.

RustyNissanPrairie

Martin’s (Rubber Ducks) Mack has the wrong engine noise. It sounds like a Detroit 2stroke when it actually has a Caterpillar.
    Grrrrrr….but still the best film ever made

squirrelking
    Free Member

Well if we’re doing engines – docs delorean. Can’t make it’s mind up if it’s a n/a V8 or supercharged & running on drag fuel. Neither of which sound like a PVR. Though it did appear to retain real world performance so I suppose that’s something.

I’d also like to nominate Ready Player One for everything. Barely anything made it from the book and I am bitter about it. See also World War Z.

Cougar

Ever since ‘the matrix’ was released, its been perfectly feasible for movie stars to land from any height if you make a fist and splay your legs out on impact.

Give over, Spider-Man has been doing a 3-point landing since the 1960s.

lukedwr
    Free Member

Everyone has perfectly smear-free sunglasses. Chases, fights, sunglasses on/off, heat, cold, dust, water.

Watched “America Made” last night. Great film. Cruise was great. Except where he he gets mugged by about 30 people for his boots and sunglasses in a dusty and hot place. New guy wears them,sparkling clean. ffs….

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

More of an amusing movie cliche, but if there’s a pair of ww2 German sentries exchanging ciggies and pleasantries, then they’re obviously not long for this world.

crazy-legs

Languages.
    Character will speak perfectly fluent English except for very simple words like:
    Si, senor
    Oui, Monsieur
    Ja, mein Herr
    In order to hammer home their nationality.

Either have them speaking English or actually employ an actor who can speak the appropriate language fluently and then subtitle it.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

More of an amusing movie cliche, but if there’s a pair of ww2 German sentries exchanging ciggies and pleasantries, then they’re obviously not long for this world.

clearly asking each other “Are we the bad guys”?

Cougar

On the back of my “orange and teal” gripe earlier,

On a whim because it popped up on Netflix, I watched Robin Hood last night. 2018 “contemporary” retelling of RH, starring that Eggsy bloke from Kingsman. Utter twaddle, if pretty enjoyable utter twaddle. But, my god.

Trapped in the hold of a ship? Orange and teal.
    In a manor house in broad daylight? Orange and teal.
    Church hall? Orange and teal.
    Racing through the streets? Orange and teal.
    Breaking into buildings at night? Orange and teal.
    Skulking around in a basement? Orange and teal.
    Etc etc. Even when it wasn’t from heavy post-processing it was ever-present. the streets had pennants hanging up, orange ones and teal ones. Suits of armour? A sort of really dark teal.

It was notable for the scenes that weren’t orange and teal, usually sweeping long-distance shorts of the countryside which lasted for a few seconds before jumping back to Orangeandteal-o-vision. If you ever need an example of just how out of hand this has got, this film is the poster boy for it.

nickc

The John Wick “universe”

senorj

In the movie of “where eagles dare”,
    the scene where Richard Burton grabs Clint’s hand to rescue him….That is wrong. In the book ,he puts an ice axe through his hand to stop Clint falling!

crazy-legs

In the movie of “where eagles dare”,
    the scene where Richard Burton grabs Clint’s hand to rescue him….That is wrong. In the book ,he puts an ice axe through his hand to stop Clint falling!

There are several million things wrong with Where Eagles Dare (not least the language thing I mentioned earlier), that is way down the list of minor details!

squirrelking
    Free Member

@cougar does Fury Road at least get a pass? For actual environmental realism.

Drac

Don’t be dissing Where Eagles Dare, I let the American Werewolf comments slide but I won’t stretch it for Eagles

funkmasterp

On a whim because it popped up on Netflix, I watched Robin Hood last night. 2018 “contemporary” retelling of RH, starring that Eggsy bloke from Kingsman.

Popped up on my Netflix feed. Robin was wearing what looked like a quilted jacket with an oversized hood from the bargain rail in Sports Direct. Why is it not possible to make a decent Robin Hood film?

senorj

“There are several million things wrong with Where Eagles Dare”
    report post! surely banhammer for crimes against culture?
    🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Like, er, just reminded of this one – Where someone is supposed to looking in a mirror and you can see their face directly facing at the viewer from an angle which, to anyone who has ever looked in a mirror, you know all they’d see is a camera lens.

precutduck
    Free Member

That damn orange and teal thing has got in to my head! I kept noticing it in Joker, amazing film but loves some orange and teal.

Cougar

That which has been seen cannot be unseen. I’m sorry.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, there’s another thing in Joker which bugged me (I forgave it for being an ace film) but also happens a lot in other films – Chase scenes where the obviously faster people aren’t actually faster! Or one second they’re miles behind, then they’re catching up.
    In Joker [maybe teeny bit of a spoiler]
    Bloke in massive clown shoes runs through town after sprinting youths… and they don’t just leave him waaaayyy behind. Same when the cops chase Joker to the station.

jabbi
    Free Member

@Mr Sam Raimi. Peter Parker was a science geek who BUILT his own web shooters…

andylc
    Free Member

More films than I can count: the bad guy somehow kills people by twisting their heads, with a useful ‘crack’ sound effect to lead us to believe that by moving a head HOW IT’S SUPPOSED TO MOVE he has somehow broken their neck.

Don’t even get me started on moving your hand downwards over someone’s face after they have died and miraculously closing their eyes! NOT POSSIBLE!

hols2
    Free Member

The hero is knocked unconscious by a massive blow to the head. Instead of a lengthy hospital stay, they awake a few seconds later and then sprint off in pursuit of the bad guys, with no apparent ill effects.

pondo

Watched a bit of The Terminator last night – the motto on the side of Arnie’s police car in the underground garage has changed when he crashes it into the wall.

Viewing 33 posts - 281 through 313 (of 313 total)

The topic ‘Details in films that bug you’ is closed to new replies.