• This topic has 312 replies, 142 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 313 total)
  • Details in films that bug you
  • athgray
    Free Member

It’s been years since I saw it, but I am sure there is a reference to the Challenger Shuttle disaster in the film Wall Street. The film is set in 1985.

Drac

I know that its fiction – its just lazy thinking

But a big indestructible green guy is Ok?

Smudger666

Just seen ad Astra. Please don’t get me started. More plot holes than an allotment with a gopher infestation!

maccruiskeen

But a big indestructible green guy is Ok?

I didn’t vote for him

Kuco

More plot holes than an allotment with a gopher infestation!

🙂 I’ve got to remeber that one.

athgray
    Free Member

Also, when an ugly or fearsome CGI beastie fails to dispatch a petrified hero because they are too busy bearing their teeth by letting out a roar in their face.

Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit and Harry Potter are prime offenders.

cbike
    Free Member

Huey helicopter audio with a eurocopter in vision.

Asaarghhh!

pondo

The “onboard” shot in Senna from the 88 Monaco Grand Prix (he wasn’t carrying a camera for that race) and the out of synch sound from the onboard at Jerez.

Yak

All archers have magic auto-refilling quivers.

Drac

Except when they must make that shot but it’s the only arrow left.

hols2
    Free Member

When there’s a standoff with two guys pointing guns at each other and one of them cocks his gun to show that he’s getting serious now. I’m just guessing here, but I suspect that trained soldiers would cock their weapons as soon as they realized they were in a fight.

Similarly, when there’s a car chase and they’re flat out, but then they decide to get serious now so they change down a gear and accelerate away. I have more experience of driving like a dick than I do of armed combat, and I can testify that you can’t be going flat out and then change down a gear and go faster.

FB-ATB

deadlydarcy

Film thing, but applies to TV series too…

Nobody locks his or her car!

They never used to with old keys, but nowadays you’ll see them use the blipper key.

That’s my key related bugbear!

mattyfez

Bit like the use of nitrous oxide in fast and furious.. Guess they were using dry kit rather than wet kit which prevents the fuel mixture from going lean.

It’s just a film though.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

All cardiac arrests are shockable, even when the monitor clearly shows an asystole, PEA or even worse, complete flatline.

jonjones262
    Free Member
    Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hero shots at bad guys car as it drives towards him, usually with a 9mm or .45 round.  No cloud of steam as the rad ruptures, no car grinding to a halt as the loom gets shot out or block gets cracked open.

I have it on good authority that .45 round goes through a car door, collects the window winding mechanism which then collects the gear stick before leaving the other side of the cars door again with much of the window winding mechanism and leaves with a large exit hole.  So hiding behind a car door as the baddie shots at you with an AK is pretty useless, similarly flipping tables over or empty oil drums.

Disarming a nuke, it’s easy once the case is open, no need for laptops or red wire/blue wire, just pull half a dozen random wires off the fission bomb explosive shell and whilst it’ll still go bang and be a bit radio active it won’t give you a mushroom cloud.

unless it’s a gun type nuke which

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hunter Killer. Guy is stalking deer in Scotland, helicopter appears and next minute he is at Faslane being asked “how was the flight from Portsmouth?”. Good film other than that.

willard

Leaving aside the car stuff that has already been mentioned, it’s mostly gunplay that annoys me in films.

Things like full auto being used by professional soldiers when shooting at distance, or basically anything other than close combat. 13 Hours at least did that bit right with the GRS guys using mostly single shot.

Magazines never running out, or having endless spares… I mean, WTF? Most people carry between four and six, plus one on, so that’s about 200 rounds. Yet they seem to be able to go full auto all day without running out or having to stop, ask their mates for spare 4BIT and then spend 20 minutes sitting on a daysack reloading mags.

Oh, and dumping mags. Grrrrrr. You don’t do that if you want to actually use them again. Put them back in a pouch or in a dump bag FFS.

Gunz
    Free Member

Not having to shout in each others ears in a night club.

Gunz
    Free Member

…oh, and I haven’t seen it but everything in the upcoming Downton Abbey film will be s##t.

MrPottatoHead

Sex…movies gloss over some convenient details about all of it, but especially morning sex when they wake up from their perfect peaceful sleep looking like they’ve just come out of a beauty salon with perfect hair and makeup, having eating a pack of polos.

Onzadog
    Free Member

When a car crashes, one of two things happens. Either the horn locks on or you get a fire ball.

dogbone

Parking. There is always a space right outside.

Blackflag
    Free Member

henchmen who apparently can’t hit a barn door when shooting. Hero runs close by and they hit everything but…

Django Unchained takes this irritation to the nth degree.

DenDennis
    Free Member

Not a detail, more of the major end sequence that seems to happen in most if not all action /hero v baddie movies. The bad guy is a master villain owning mega weapons /ship/planet /shotguns whatever yet so so often it seems to come down to a straight mano a mano fist fight /grapple /choke sequence for our hero to do away with the top baddie…. Weapons all chucked away for some reason…..

_tom_
    Free Member

A lot of these are things where they’ve been so over used in the history of film that it feels weird and wooden if they leave it realistic and don’t include them.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Using SCUBA in The Abyss.

maccruiskeen

Most people carry between four and six, plus one on, so that’s about 200 rounds

Endless ammo in ww2 movies especially. Saw an interview with a guy that’s was on the landing boats at Dunkirk ‘we were given six bullets each. I’m pretty sure I used all my ones’

gobuchul
    Free Member

Endless ammo in ww2 movies especially. Saw an interview with a guy that’s was on the landing boats at Dunkirk ‘we were given six bullets each. I’m pretty sure I used all my ones’

What landing boats at Dunkirk? They were getting off.
    The British Army in WW2 did not send their soldiers into battle with 6 bullets.

IdleJon

An early scene in a recent King Arthur film where two characters were in bed. The bed was better made than mine with bigger, fluffier pillows that looked like they were from Habitat and had been freshly laundered that morning. In Dark Age Britain.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Non-diegetic sound.

jekkyl

There is a whole youtube channel dedicated to all this shit: Cinemasins.
    (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYUQQgogVeQY8cMQamhHJcg)
    Here’s an example right here: https://youtu.be/yxAXZGOzEg8
    Search for your favourite movie and it’s likely on there. Beware though, this is one of those youtube holes that once you venture down you’ll be a while climbing back out.

RobHilton
    Free Member

how everyone has a 555 phone number

Sally Dibbs doesn’t

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Cars that supposidly have come some distance yet have water droplets dripping from the exhaust because they have just been started for the scene.

Airbags which don’t go off when the car crashes unless it’s for comical effect.

Matthew McConaughey’s character was an Apollo astronaut in Interstellar but the youngest one ever was Charlie Duke born in 1935 which would make him 84 now let alone the 10-20 years in the future when Interstellar was set. Why the hell didn’t Nolan make him a space shuttle pilot I don’t know just because he wanted to make some stupid inference about the moon landings being a hoax. I couldn’t get over that and ruined the whole film for me.

taxi25
    Free Member

Motorbikes that have the wrong engine sound, 4 strokes with 2 stroke sound and visa versa 😡😡

connect2

Scenes with space or diving suits – the helmets always have an internal light shining in the actors eyes. I know it’s so we can see their faces but real life it would be impossible to see out!
    Similar in some driving scenes, the instrument lights shining on their faces are like searchlights

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Shooting bullets into water to make sure the good guy is dead.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Scenes with space or diving suits – the helmets always have an internal light shining in the actors eyes. I know it’s so we can see their faces but real life it would be impossible to see out!

I know I slagged The Abyss earlier but those helmets were cool as ****!

Made by Kirby Morgan and cost an absolute fortune.

DezB
    Free Member

Sex…movies gloss over some convenient details about all of it

Mainly though- BRAS! So many sex scenes where the woman keeps her bra on! Dunno about anyone else, but I like a boob and if, you know, doing it, I am gonna make sure I see a boob or 2!

teethgrinder

Semi-auto pistols where a specific point has been made of a full mag going in, a round chambered then fired. Then what happens? The **** slide lock.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 313 total)

The topic ‘Details in films that bug you’ is closed to new replies.