Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)
  • Depression/suicide etc
  • mildbore

I think the lack of motivation/ability to do ordinary stuff is one of the worst symptoms of depression, and then we get into a cycle of beating ourselves up for being useless, and it goes on. I think it’s really important to recognise the symptoms and not beat ourselves up when we suffer them. Easier said than done, I’m really struggling at the moment, having heard that my younger brother, who has spent most of his life abusing his body with drink and drugs, has advanced lung cancer (he’s been ignoring coughing up blood for six months). I feel like I’ve been kicked in the guts by a horse and can’t do anything. Luckily I’m retired so don’t have to, but I feel so bad. Ironic that this news makes me want to go on a bender!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Lots of Type A personalities on here. Look on the bright side guys, at least you still want cake – not wanting cake is where you get ****. Although I get the feeling that some of the people who seem to be linking their depression to perfectionism might be missing something.

Bojack would be a good watch for some on here!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORIDYHOFTQ[/video]

stcolin
    Free Member

Grum, how you doing?

grum
    Free Member

I’ve been doing ok thanks. Done a couple of photography jobs which I had to massively psyche myself up for and got very anxious about – went ok though. First one was very draining and I spent the next few days in bed feeling very low, second one a bit better. Think the meds are kicking in now and have definitely improved things with no noticeable side effects so far.

Really want to try and get into better habits and not just ‘get by’ as I’ve been doing most of my life.

How is everyone else doing?

funkmasterp

Good to hear Grum 🙂

I’m making an effort to exercise, get out on the bike, go for short runs etc and I’m looking to do a circuit class once a week too. The weather definitely helps for me. I really want to be fitter and hopefully off the meds for when the entirely unexpected Funk Mk3 arrives in November.

stcolin
    Free Member

Good news grum. Fellow photographer person here, although my demons give me a hard time about that too.

I’m still feeling tired from my marathon back at the start of the month. Been on a few bike rides and the odd run but still feel a bit drained. But I’ve been really struggling with work. For the last few weeks I haven’t done much at all other than react to some things. I work in sales (engineering) and I’m based at home.

wiggles
    Free Member

Glad things are looking up for people.

I am doing a bit better now, got used to my new routine in “single-dad” mode, meds are leveling me out a bit so less anxiety.

Been trying to get out more and actually going on a date tomorrow!

stcolin
    Free Member

Sorry to drag this up again. How are you doing Grum? (and everyone else)

I’ve had another bad spell made worse by my bad back. Over a week ago I ran a trail race around Sheffield and afterwards I could hardly walk. Got to the doctors on Monday morning and been resigned to home since then with diazepam amongst other things. Going for an MRI scan tonight and another physio appointment in 2 weeks. My back issues have been ongoing for over 10 years with no clear reason for my problems. Came from a football injury when I was younger and it manifests itself in different ways; stiff lower back, sciatica, spasms, cramps etc.

Really down in the dumps. Had to miss the PMBA Enduro in Kirroughtree at the weekend and can’t do other stuff I’ve booked and paid for.

funkmasterp

Sorry to hear that Colin. My plans to exercise more have been scuppered by work. Big project on at the moment. Having a lot more bad days than usual, but I’m coping.

teasel
    Free Member

I’m on the comeback. Anger has subsided and dark thoughts are slowly becoming more spaced apart. Not right but getting there again. No longer a need for phone calls from the docs to check in and make sure I’m okay.

Hope you guys can pull it back, too. Good luck.

franksinatra

back issues have been ongoing for over 10 years with no clear reason for my problems. Came from a football injury when I was younger and it manifests itself in different ways; stiff lower back, sciatica, spasms, cramps etc.

If you can afford it find a decent local sports physio and gt yourself along there asap. Quality physio, delivered quickly is worth every penny. Waiting two weeks for NHS is no good, by then you will stiffen, over compensate etc.

stcolin
    Free Member

Simply can’t afford it 🙁 I have a basic Bupa scheme with work, might be worth exploring.

Viewing 12 posts - 201 through 212 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘Depression/suicide etc’ is closed to new replies.