Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Depreciation free car? Can it be done?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Old BMWs with 100-150k on the clock and full service history (not necessarily main dealer) 728i from mid 90s is an almost indestructible car with sensible electronics and a fantastic auto gearbox. Will do 35mpg on a long run. Pay about 1500 to 2k, run for a year, maybe 2 and sell for at least 1k. A hardtail mountain bike with wheels and seatpost off will fit in the boot of one and it will shut as well! You can sleep on the rear seat. The sound system is awesome. It's quiet at speed. I once AVERAGED 60mph from Rugby to Arisaig in one.
    Big BMWs scare people with servicing costs and stuff but they don't cost any more than equivalent cheaper cars to fix and DON'T GO WRONG AS OFTEN!

They're also fun to drive.

Alternatively, get a Chrysler Grand Voyager from about 10 years ago. Get the manual diesel and enjoy 40mpg and total comfort. All the seats come out of the back and you can turn it into a camper or comfy van. They're hard wearing and reliable. DON'T buy the 3.3 auto!!! Even with LPG fitted.

andrewh
    Free Member

My first car lost £140 in 12,000 miles.

Bought it for £200, scrapped it when the first big thing went wrong (head-gasket), got £60 for it from the scrappy.

Had to spend £40 on a new tyre for it during the course of ownership though. Pronton Persona 1.6XLi by the way, not bad for a first car.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My classic W123 Mercedes has recently begun to gain value, it's gone over the curve. It'll be quite a while before it's worth much, mind you. And I ain't selling, no matter what!

Big-M
    Free Member

In my opinion, I'd go for an old Omega disel estate (BMW engine) or a Ford Scorpio, both well equipped cars and cheap enough to run/service yourself.

Use them until they break/become too costly to repair then start again.

benjag
    Free Member

Kit car, mine cost about £4500 to build, ran it for 2 yrs and then sold for £5k and it was brilliant fun (although not so good for bikes)

HansRey

land rover defenders. Keep it in good nick, and make sure that you have an engine without the spider chip. Can't remember what the engine was called, but it was early 2000, easy to fix (All mechanical) and easy on the diesel too

good luck finding one like that tho, our landy was stolen and sent off to the middle east

adeward
    Free Member

Ade

Triple SUs you say? Got to be a worthwhile mod. A single 1 1/8 SU seems under carbed for a six.

I'd love to see a pic of a Major in trials spec.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=220532&op=3&o=global&view=global&subj=832619682&id=832619682

sohala
    Free Member

didn't exactly make money, but didn't lose much on an '03 320d touring. bought it at 2 yrs old with 50k on the clock for £12750, chopped it in 11 months later with 99,985 miles on. got £12500 for it 😯

should really add that it was px'd against a spanking new beemer, don't think they'd have offered that against a ford ka 😉

just to clarify – i'm not knocking ford ka's

Ti29er
    Free Member

Yep.
    The forthcoming Morgan at maybe £125k will make money for its owners.
    The new Porsche Sport (?) at about £135k will, in time too.
    Some Ferraris have made money.
    If you have your name down for the forthcoming 458 or the McLaren you'll make money on the purchase price as long as you sell it after not too long.
    But these are expensive, often short or limited runs.

Some cars hold their price very well once the initial depreciation is over. POA.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Depreciation free car? Can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.