• This topic has 60 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Deore 4 pots brakes
  • cchris2lou

Thinking of the above as an upgrade .

I know they haven’t been out long but anyone tried them yet ?

They seem great value for money !

liamvc96
    Free Member

I have been eyeing them up also they can be had for 70 quid an end here

https://m.bikester.co.uk/shimano-mt501-4-kolben-disc-brake-hr-pm-i-spec-ii-black-811259.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwp7baBRBIEiwAPtjwxM6qY_ketI57IyCTNYknS2Wo5CMZy0TBZOUi5nvhb1jPZcT4tGBeSBoCS7AQAvD_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1_9_34_811259_201897230302_pla&ef_id=WyuUEgAAAIaKEhCq:20180717203247:s

I have the one pot versions now and they are great but more power and modulation would be nice

hoping I can just buy the calipers and match them up to my current levers

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Haven’t tried a set yet, but if shimanos other cheaper offerings are anything to go by, these will be the brakes to have.

coomber
    Free Member

Think I paid about £90 front and rear from bikediscount.de

Unfortunately waiting for frame to attach them to!

cchris2lou

are they compatible with any Shimano levers ?

I currently have M477 brakes .

jonnym92
    andysmiff1
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”></div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Think I paid about £90 front and rear from <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>bikediscount.de</span>

Unfortunately waiting for frame to attach them to!

</div>
    Got a link?

thanks,

A

coomber
    Free Member
    toomba
    Free Member

These must be very similar to Zee’s?

Is there any adjustment on them?

cchris2lou

Not the ones Coomber .

dmorts

I think you could get Zees for the same price?

ceept

Just had a set of these fitted by the guys at Comrie Croft. Only ridden there, in the wet so far, but first impressions are very good. Much more predictable and powerful than the Deore 2 pots I had on previously.

I’m running 203mm discs front and back. So far I’m more than happy with the modulation, but the easy fix to make it more progressive on the back would be to run a smaller disc.

cchris2lou

Just ordered a set at 140 euros at Bike discount !

and they are in stock , will report back when i get them .

P-Jay
    Free Member

are they compatible with any Shimano levers ?

I currently have M477 brakes .

They should be, yours will probably be easier as anyone with SLX or above brakes will need new hoses (they don’t have an olive end).

If you’re shopping around the callipers are called BR-M520, being ‘5 series’ they’re technically sub-deore and they’re OE brakes for E-Bikes.

I do fancy a pair of callipers for the odd time I’m in the Alps.

cchris2lou

Ordered the full set.

5lab

I’m not sure I’m convinced behind the rational for uneven sized pistons. Its apparently so the amount of fluid varies depending on how hard you pull it, but surely both pistons move at the same speed, so its the same as one large piston?

I can see there are advantages for 4 pistons in pressing a larger pad evenly against a disk (compared to a 2 piston setup), but those advantages apply regardless of the piston sizing (even vs uneven)?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tempted, can’t shake the feeling that my old XT’s aren’t actually as powerful as the new deores on my commuter (despite being 203/180 Vs 160/160) and I can’t figure out why. But ones a fat bike and the others a skinny 29er so might have to do some swapping first and see if the problems with the brakes or my head or maybe pad compounds (or glazed pads).

84Euros for the callipers on bike-discount is tempting!

When people say they need new hoses, presumably that means the following would work, the lever body itself will have the correct thread for either hose fitting or do I need to order some aftermarket hoses as well?

4-pot calliper + deore hose + XT lever (to keep the nice levers on the trail bike)

XT calliper + XT hose + deore lever would work? (to keep the dull grey levers on the commuter and keep it invisible to thieves).

P-Jay
    Free Member

When people say they need new hoses, presumably that means the following would work, the lever body itself will have the correct thread for either hose fitting or do I need to order some aftermarket hoses as well?

Yes, or you could just snip the o-ring end off and fit with an olive, but I’m still on the fence between running the 4 pots full time or just keeping them for Holidays etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m still on the fence between running the 4 pots full time or just keeping them for Holidays etc.

Sounds like a bit of a ball ache to be swapping callipers when there’s hardly anything in it weight wise, and having to keep stocks of two lots of spare pads, and run the risk of ballsing it up swapping calipers the weekend before  holliday! Why not run 4-pots all year?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sounds like a bit of a ball ache to be swapping callipers when there’s hardly anything in it weight wise, and having to keep stocks of two lots of spare pads, and run the risk of ballsing it up swapping calipers the weekend before  holliday! Why not run 4-pots all year?

Because they don’t say XT on them of course 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Poopscoop

5lab

I’m not sure I’m convinced behind the rational for uneven sized pistons. Its apparently so the amount of fluid varies depending on how hard you pull it, but surely both pistons move at the same speed, so its the same as one large piston?

I believe it’s to give better modulation.

benpinnick

It’s because if you want a longer pad you would get tapered wear on the pads the trailing piston is bigger as it can exert more force which cancels out the leading edge effect. It also helps with temp management as the rear piston gets hotter.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Does anyone know if these calipers are compatible with br-m785 levers and hoses? I suspect not, but just wanted to check

1timmy1
    Free Member

Does anyone know if these calipers are compatible with br-m785 levers and hoses? I suspect not, but just wanted to check

I’ve been wondering this too, but I think the leaver may push a different amount of fluid compared to the newer 4 pot leaver.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well they say the M8000 and M8020 levers are the same and sell the M8020 Calipers as an upgrade for M8000 brakes so I’d say they’d work fine.

cchris2lou

OK, got the brakes this morning.

The shifter was connected to my old brake lever but I don’t think it i can do it on the new one.

It says I spec 2 on the box.

Can I buy separate clamp or else ?

philjunior
    Free Member

Can I buy separate clamp or else ?

I assume yours are I spec B. Some companies make adaptors, but they’re pricey. You could just swap the hose over at the lever…

cchris2lou

Yes i could but would like to keep new levers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think the answer is no.You’ll have to find someone with the same shifter as you who’s mounted them on their brakes and got the clamp part spare.

cchris2lou

A longer bolt through the lever clamp and the shifter might do it till I find the right part.

core

*wrong thread

cchris2lou

Managed to fit the shifter on the brake lever and had first ride this morning .

Much better than the 447 they replaced . Dont know how they compare to other 4 pots brakes but very positive experience for me .

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Is it worth upgrading from XT 2 pot to these?

jjwprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve order a set for my Nukeproof Mega – £80 for two calipers including delivery.

It’s interesting that people always mention levers for 4 pot brakes needing to move more fluid than a 2 pot brake. In reality, a bit of research shows that all Shimano brake levers move the same amount of fluid irrespective of whether they’re 2 or 4 pot. This is why XT 4 pots use exactly the samer lever as the two pots, and why Zees use an SLX lever that is only changed cosmetically.

JP

mulv1976
    Free Member

Where do you get them from? I’m still unsure if my m875 levers/hoses will work with them but willing to try at that price

andy4d

I thought shimano had 2 internal diameters, 2.1mm that used the silver barb, i think on all brakes up to xt?? and a 2.3mm that used the brass barb, zee and saint??

If i am correct what do these newer 4 pot use? Are they not the same hose/connectors as saint/zee because if they are how do they work with xt levers? I only ask as i am considering changing my current xt 2 pots for some 4 pots if they just swap over.

blitz

The 4 pot calipers are meant to use the 90 hose (2.1mm internal diameter) and they have the straight fitting rather than banjo.

However I’ve just swapped M447 calipers for the deore 4 pots but kept the M506 levers and 59 hose (2.3mm internal diameter) I already had. Works fine. Got a pair for £80 delivered as above from Bike24.

Id say as long as you’ve got the correct hose fittings they should work with most set ups. Weather it’s perfectly optimised is maybe another question but happy with the performance so far (only had a couple of rides) despite not using the recommended hose.

Specs here: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/e-bike-e7000-series/BR-MT520.html

chakaping
    Free Member

full brakeset was £110 from Rose the other week, surely you could flog your existing brakes and be even or better off than just buying the calipers?

blitz

In my case my caliper was dead so no real re-sale value. Also, quite lazy I guess, but my frame is a bitch to internally route cables and I was willing to try just swapping the caliper to save the ballache of that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Deore 4 pots brakes’ is closed to new replies.