Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Decent 20" MTB tyres?
  • jad
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a cheap(ish) pair of 20″ tyres which is actually in stock? My daughter is getting an Islabike Beinn 20 for Christmas and Santa stupidly never ordered the optional Continental Explorer tyres with it. Nowhere seems to have any in stock so am looking for alternatives.

jedi

look at bmx dirt/race tyres?

jad
    Free Member

I looked at some Bmx ones but the they tend to be quite wide? Her bike has mudguards fitted so width may be limited.

TiRed

I think you’ll struggle if you want off road. Kenda makes some reasonable looking tyres, but I don’t have anything suitable on my 20″ wheeled Airnimal Rhino. BMX tyres don’t have the knobs for off road.

On road? No question, get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus Kevlars.

Simon

I put 20″ Kenda Small Block 8s on my daughters’ bikes.
    Come in different widths and about £15 each I think.

Obviously no good in mud but OK for hardpack and tarmac.

epicyclo

I use Maxxis Holy Rollers on this 20″ bike

PTR
    Free Member

Jad, I had the same problem, ordred from three sources, including e-bay only to be told that they were out of stock. Eventually found some here,
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=4108&f_SupersetQRY=C366&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003139c004591

uphillcursing
    Free Member

CRC have Schwalbe Blackjacks in now. I had to wait 3 months for them. I also needed them for the same reason as the OP.

ji
    Free Member

Beware of BMX tyres for the Beinn 20. I ordered 2 set for 2 bikes (can’t remember the actual tyres now, but decent brands) and they are too wide for the rims and slide off. Might be worth going back to Isla – she does sell the tyres separately, but they aren’t cheap.

simondbarnes

Bontrager SX kids tyres look pretty reasonable. They come in 20×2.0 and 24×2.0, £14.99 each

Simon-E

This is a bit late (to say the least) but if anyone is still wondering about offroad tyres for the Beinn 20 then they might want to look at Schwalbe Mad Mike 20×1.75. My LBS got them in when the ETA for Conti Explorers kept being put back, £11 each.

I had bought Schwalbe SV6 inner tubes (intended for up to 1.5″ as he runs Marathons for the road) although SV7 are the size Schwalbe specify for 20×1.5-2.0″.

SV=presta, I don’t think the schraeder tubes (AV)will fit through the valve hole in the rim.

For the really keen Schwalbe also do a Marathon Winter in 20×1.75″ for £40 each.

BTW the Beinn’s 20″ = ETRTO 406, whereas some 20″ tyres are 451.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Decent 20" MTB tyres?’ is closed to new replies.