Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • Debt………or the lack of.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

No mortgage, no CC, no loan. If I could get one I would, but I can’t 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

CC is just used as another card in my wallet, got fed up not having any money if a card got wiped for whatever reason (static, left near speekers, bank randomly canceling it etc) and being refused phone contracts and the protection might come in handy, never managed to get it over half my sallary in a month though so always paid off.

Student loan, its there, just like tax and pensions, cheeper to ignore it than do anything about it. Got about a similar ammount in savings, although they’re earning about the same in intrest 🙁

Mortgage, you must be mad, pay the bank 5%pa for an asset that loosing 5%pa when I could rent the same asset for 5% and not have to deal with any of the liabilities arrising from it?

No personal or secured loans. Although apparenly my gym membership is a loan if you read the small print it appears the gym gets your moeny upfront from a finance company then you pay it off over 12months at ~3% intrest. Bit cheeky as they don’t mention this when you sign up.

I like buying stuff, but I like doing it with my own money and feeling like I’ve earnt it.

oldgit
    Free Member

£98k strangely that’s the amount I got one this time last year. Didn’t have 98k spare so had to look at bankruptcy or selling the house. Wife also became ill after an operation so no income.

Worked day and night six/seven days a week etc etc. Got it paid off just before Christmas, where there’s will there’s a way.

Long and short of it I have no debt except the mortgage which if I’d not been done would have finished October 2011 😥 it’s tiny though…and the mortgage.

Gonna work my moobs off to get it all back and put my money under the mattress.

ton

told you older folk save to pay for stuff………. 😉

Mortgage, you must be mad, pay the bank 5%pa for an asset that loosing 5%pa when I could rent the same asset for 5% and not have to deal with any of the liabilities arrising from it?

So, are you telling me that for the 5% interest pa.. that you would pay the banks, you can rent a property?

I doubt it, so whereas everyone else’s monthly payment (minus the bank’s cut) will come back to them in 15, 20, 25 years – yours will be in your landlords pocket.

Renting is not a long term financially viable prospect and your logic seems flawed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

By the end of this year it should be just the mortgage plus a decent bit of savings.

Which will make a nice change.

hh45
    Free Member

No debt, no mortgage, credit card paid in full by DD every month.
    In terms of disposable income, as opposed to gross income, I reckon I’m better off than almost anyone I know.
    Living in a shed, dressing like a tramp and having simpletastes does have some advantages

Likewise. Mortgage paid off in 2-3 yrs and savings on the side to setle now if i felt like it. I’m sat here on a free lap top, free phone bill, wearing patched jeans that are 6 years old, in a house barely decorated in 8 yrs. I ran my last car to 130,000 miles despite much mocking at work and paid cash for a new one last year. My brother in law retired at 50 last year with a massive savings pot and not because he earnt mega bucks but because they lived modestly. Most consumerism is just a load of bobbins.

I do feel very sorry for todays grads though with a $hit jobs market and bonkers house prices. The class of 1986 were lucky in those respects.

loddrik
    Free Member

37, massive mortgage, secured loan, credit card debt I have defaulted on, massive student loan, no savings, no pension and I’m now unemployed.

I’m poor but I’m happy. Made some catastrophic financial decisions in my life and I’m know paying the consequences. You can’t take it with you so I’m past caring. Just gotta live my life..

_tom_
    Free Member

Student loan, at least £18k + interest. That doesn’t really count though since everyone has that debt now 😛

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve got a 100 grand mortgage and about £300 quid on student loan, have a overdraft that varies between 0 and about £800. Got a free hand me down car from the parents and an old motorbike thats currently knackered. Having a baby last of all my friends helps too hardly had to buy anything. I get paid **** all though and less than I did about 6 years ago.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

im 24, the only debt i have is my car. i owe about £1200 on it. keep up with payments. on the grand scale of thing im not in any massive debts and could pay my car off tomorrow if i needed to.

i also have savings (ok not much but a few thousand)

shaun

chewkw
    Free Member

Earning a lowly bureaucrat income … bloody bureaucracy.

The computer says nnnoooooo so no CC to mess around but I like pen pushing.

Cash is king.

Northwind

None at all here… Well, I have a credit card debt on a 0% deal outstanding, but I can pay that off once the 0% expires so I’m not considering it debt.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Renting is not a long term financially viable prospect and your logic seems flawed.

It seems to be viable, and the norm in a lot of Europe, I’ve often wondered why that isn’t considered the case in the UK

surfer
    Free Member

Loddrik. You are a Red, money cant buy that 😉

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

No mortgage – critical illness payout thankfully. Current debt is a small loan on our only car to accomodate the wifes 60+ mile round trip commute. Minimal credit card debts.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m renting.. and totally debt free.. (and skint)

I never really bought into the whole mortgage and bricks and mortar thing.. yeah sure it’s a nice investment but it also kinda binds you pretty securely into ‘the mans’ blueprint on how we should live our entire adult lives..

I’ve watched grown men fall apart over their debts and what have they really had to show for it.. a few baubles and trinkets that the evil emperor of materialism has seduced them with at some point..

live outside the box and stick it to the man maaaaaan.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Debt free! 😀

Wealth free too. 🙁

Ah well.

I’ve seen too many family members, friends and others get into serious trouble with debt, to be even tempted to borrow. Seen people’s hopes and dreams be dashed against the rocks of reality. Got friends who work their bottoms off doing 60+ hours, six days a week etc, just to maintain a fairly simple lifestyle. Looked on with amazement at folk who’ve bought first homes in the last 5 years or so, top of the market, now seeing their property’s value dropping.

I get annoyed when my bank offers me all sorts of loans, CCs, etc. I ask them why, with my account barely in the black, do they think I have the funds to pay owt back? Insane. Credit is far, far too easy to get.

I believe in the mantra of ‘if you can’t afford it, you can’t have it until you can’. Saves a hell of a lot of trouble.

oldgit
    Free Member

Though someone once told me ‘it’s not a debt if you can/are paying it’

Cash is king.

Yep and audaxes that’s me from now on.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I used to stick it to the man but i am the man now.

anjs
    Free Member

£13 on my credit card but I have 2 weeks to pay it off.

jamesca
    Free Member

used to have lots, now i have none. took a good few years to pay it off and i feel no richer now it’s gone. still have a mortgage

Hohum
    Free Member

12 years left on a 100k mortgage and just over 3k on a 0% credit card.

No savings as such, but I have been putting money into various pensions since I started working 16 years ago. What they end up being worth when I draw them down at retirement is anyone’s guess!

stumpy01

Define ‘older people’, ton…

I came out of University with £1500 overdraft – interest free in my graduate account. I paid that off in a yr & I got a graduate loan out for my car which I paid off a year early.
    Since then I have always saved & bought stuff outright. I use my credit card, but only so I have a buffer while I transfer money over from my savings account, which I then use to pay off the CC immediately.

I am currently in the process of buying a house with my other half so will have a mortgage, but we reckon we’ll be able to significantly over-pay on it and everything we need will be bought outright.

Debt gives me the willies – even owing friends small amounts.

ivantate
    Free Member

32 and no debts or mortgage. Dont really feel like I have missed out on anything due to ‘sensible’ spending either.

buy a house in west yorkshire, it can be paid off before you know it. obviously moving south will be painful whe it happens.

lowey

A huge crippling mortgage. Nothing else.

Been there though and its not a nice place.

Although most people with a major Debt problem will not tell you. The shame of debt and financial mismanagement can be crushing.

Likewise. Mortgage paid off in 2-3 yrs and savings on the side to setle now if i felt like it. I’m sat here on a free lap top, free phone bill, wearing patched jeans that are 6 years old, in a house barely decorated in 8 yrs. I ran my last car to 130,000 miles despite much mocking at work and paid cash for a new one last year. My brother in law retired at 50 last year with a massive savings pot and not because he earnt mega bucks but because they lived modestly. Most consumerism is just a load of bobbins.

If that’s your bag, then fair enough. Personally I like nice jeans, a decorated house and a fairly plush car. No problem with people being frugal though and wish I managed my money a bit better at times.

On the other hand though, I wouldn’t want to do without just to save for 30 odd years, then get hit by a bus.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It seems to be viable, and the norm in a lot of Europe, I’ve often wondered why that isn’t considered the case in the UK

Because regulations around renting and security of tenure are quite different

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve never been good with money.

Been working for nigh on 30 years and due to a split I’m completely debt free (not that I ever had anything other than a mortgage and a couple of thinks on HP when I was a nipper).

Renting as although I have a bank balance greater than my annual salary its nowhere near enough to buy what I’d like remotely close to my place of work.

Being an old duffer I save rather than splurge (although with an impending 17% pay cut and then no pay increase for 3 years, if i still have a job, I have been ‘stocking up’ on certain things :mrgreen: ).

The more I think about things the less I seem to need. I mean there are so many shops and that that I never have even the whiff of an urge to enter.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Not got a mortgage yet, though one is on the way. We are looking to buy this year, after our wedding. Problem is living in London… = crazy prices.

Student loan is large but being paid off gradually via salary sacrifice.

Have a credit card debt that I could afford to pay off, but have been neglecting and paying interest. This thread has inspired me to sort out a balance transfer to a 0% card.

ianv
    Free Member

It always amazes me how people earning so much more than me can have so much debt and always be skint. I don’t earn mega bucks, don’t live like a tramp but somehow have managed to pay off my mortgage and save a decent amount.

It is a pretty good feeling and the lack of fear of losing your job makes arguments with management much more fun. Will probably quit next year anyway as life is too short to stick with a S**t job when you don’t need to.

noteeth
    Free Member

I possess immense spiritual wealth.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, but you’re not particularly well endowed wiv teef, are you? 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

All flesh is grass, fred. And that includes gnashers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I have wealthy inlaws 😈

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I live simply.

Small mortgage (<£20’000 outstanding) no CC, no loans, no car. 4 bikes & a pretty crappy low-paid job that still gives me a minimum of £600 per month after i’ve paid all my bills & fed myself.
    A few thousand in the bank from my last employer so a nice little cushion there.
    Actually, i’m not doing all that bad am i?

ton

muddydwarf………are you me? 😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No Ton, you are several me’s…. 😛

My business income (as a sole trader) comes in at around £5.5k per month.

My business overhead runs at around £1k per month (insurance/loan/fuel/etc).

I have 20% of the £5.5k tax deducted via the CIS scheme (so about £1100).

Theoretically that should leave £3400 per month. Can someone tell me where it is please?

NZCol

I’ve got friends that have borrowed massively to get into flash houses and are on interest only 30yr mortgages 😯 They then get more loans to buy ‘other’ stuff.

I was brought up to be careful with money and I tend to save up to buy stuff. We’ve just bought a new house which by my measures was very very expensive but a good investment, even that will have a tiny mortgage and shoud be clear in < 6 months. It just amazes me what debts and utter carp people get themselves into – i mean, what you earn is not a surprise every month is it ? Insane.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Debt………or the lack of.’ is closed to new replies.