Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dalby Black: closed due to fallen trees – how rideable?
  • james
    Free Member

The Forestry commision site says: "closed due to fallen trees"

Anyone know how rideable all the sections are? Just the odd tree, or one every 100 yards?
    Also, why on earth haven't they cleared them (or updated the website), it said that a few weeks back when I checked

Northwind

Suggests there's a lot of trees doesn't it? If they say it's closed, don't ride it tbh

druidh
    Free Member

🙄

james
    Free Member

They're said its been closed when its been a bit snowy/icy though (and not just mega snowdrifts and ice all the way around) though haven't they?

If it is blocked by fallen trees, why haven't they shifted it?

thepodge
    Free Member

Because they have other things to be doing

If its closed its closed

dawson

dmiller
    Free Member

Seriously mate, you have to ask? I guess they might be worried about unstable trees squashing people or something. I don't know. I do know that the people what know about trees are saying stay out. I would stay out. Simples! 🙂

james
    Free Member

So nobody actually ridden/seen any of it then?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Probably not, I had heard it was closed…

james
    Free Member

I was just thinking given so many of the sections run parallel to the open red run that someone may have sampled or seen at least some of the black loop sections?

marty
    Free Member

i did a trail inspection after a storm a couple of years ago (Carron Valley regulars might remember the storm that punched a hole in the forest on Pipedream).

**** terrifying – unstable trees are not to be **** with.

mrmo
    Free Member

closed is closed, when you go to tescos it is closed you go elsewhere, or do you smash the glass to get in?

monkiman
    Free Member

closed is closed, but hes just asking for any latest info from someone who might have been recently

unstableJ
    Free Member

Was there a week ago and most of it's okay, and the Red's all open. So I wouldn't be put off going.

I went when they said it was shut due to snow as well and it was fine, FE just cover themselves so you can't say they didn't tell you if you fall off in the snow or bash your head on a tree.

There is a section of the Black shut which you need to keep off, it's the first descent after Dixon's Hollow, it's fenced off and clearly signed as shut. The Black desecnt off Adderstone Rigg is also shut but the parallel red descent is open. The descent from Crosscliff (the one that starts on the boardwalk) is fine until right at the bottom where there's a tree you need to walk around but the next climb up has several trees down, just avoid it by turning right at the bottom and back tracking to the Adders Back Red climb back up to Crosscliff.

The remainder of the black was fine.

dawson

@unstablej – you star! thank you for actually answering the OP (and resolving a question I was going to ask about the Red route)

I'm going tomorrow.

uplink
    Free Member

I did the red this morning – it's pretty much dry all the way round now, just one or two damp patches

😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dalby Black: closed due to fallen trees – how rideable?’ is closed to new replies.