Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Dadstrack world – Baby wearing
  • Mat

I’m going to out myself as some weird earth mother type but anyway…

A few weeks after my daughter was born in September I got a stretchy wrap, it’s been fantastic. It makes getting on with things much easier (household chores, going for walks, shopping, we even took her to Murrayfield) and she seems to love it.

She still fits it (I think it’s good for up to 27 pounds) but I was interested to here what other stw’erists had done re baby wearing. As she gets a bit bigger and more alert she seems more curious and i was wondering if she’d need to move onto something outward facing or on my back?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Camelbak?

wallop

😆

riklegge

My wife used to really like using a wrap with our three. She used to put them on her back when too big to go on the front. I used to like using it when they were on the back but not in front.

GrahamS

We had a rucksack style thing which was quite good for a while, but we didn’t use it that regularly – pram/pushchair was definitely the default.

Pook

Out ward facing bends their spine the wrong way iirc.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ergo baby carrier here. My daughter is approaching 16 months now and too big for the front, but occasionally it’s still a good way to get out putting her on your back (Although that can’t be done without help of another adult…. But will be possible again soon as she is understanding more). Daughter loves it generally.

crankboy
    Free Member

Little life rucksack ,made all sorts of trips doable . had the babyborn? front loading thing but never got on with it.

mtbfix

We used a Babybjorn when ours were tiny and then moved on to a Mothercare backpack carrier. Made dog walking possible in the muddy woods.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Bumbo is handy for a few months too before they start crawling and moving more. You can pop them in one and they can sit up and watch whats going on without just falling over..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

babybjörn then went to some sort of sling which I think is made of hemp and yoghurt. you get a free dreamweaver with it if bought online.

JoeG
    Free Member

MTFU!

steveoath
    Free Member

Little life pack is great. Although I suspect that as junior is big for her age, that’s the reason behind my duff Achilles.

NZCol

We used a Baby Bjorn and then a Macpac pack carrier which was amazing and is about to go up for sale, we are in edinburgh if you wanted it ?

Superficial
    Free Member

We’ve got a macpac rucksack thing which gets used lots. It’s great to be able to take the boy (he’s 14 months) out and about a bit more. He likes being up high and being able to see out. He also sleeps in it really well – as long as you keep moving. This is my favourite piece of baby junk we have – it has been very liberating for me to be able to get out in the Peak, even if on foot not on two wheels. My wife finds it a bit too heavy/ unwieldy for her, and you have to ensure he’s wrapped up warm since he doesn’t really get your body heat.

He still goes in the ergo baby carrier thing for shorter trips. I think he’s a bit big for slings now, but he liked them equally when he was younger.

OwenP

Another Ergobaby carrier here – I’ve got the 360, which replaced a Manduca sling which was loaned from a friend.

The Manduca was good until she was 4/5 Months, but then the lack of a “face out” option ended it. The Ergobaby has been to Chamonix, Morzine and used several times a day in all weather since August – all good so far, so probably worth the cost.

As I understand it, proper structured carriers/slings have come a long way in the last few years, the old babybjorn type design has been fully superceded by more comfortable (for everyone) options – worth trying a few, as there seem to be a few good brands.

We have a “sling library” locally and friends in other areas have done likewise so could be quite widespread. Lets you try a few sling types before you commit to make sure it works for you.

sirromj

Still at the newborn stage. I haven’t been able to get on with those Boba wrap things:
    1) It’s too hot as it wraps around the torso and over shoulders so many times.
    2) It looks ridiculous on a man, even in grey, and especially if I’ve removed my t-shirt because of 1.
    3) Newborn is a bit of a wriggler and it doesn’t take long before he’s edging his way out of it and his head is unsupported.

franksinatra

We got one of these and I used it a lot, it meant we could carry on getting out in the hills and woods with baby on board

Fantastic bit of kit. Really well made, excellent fit, loads of storage room and more comfortable to wear than any of my expensive expedition style packs.

We no longer need ours so you are welcome to it for £25, we are in Melrose but around Edinburgh quite a bit if easier for you

jimmy748

Duct tape and cable ties.

jamj1974

Duct tape and cable ties.

Totally under-awed by your lack of commitment.

Staplegun FTW.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tried a wrap, worked while but was a hassle to put on and off regularly, still gets used sometimes.

Tried a cheap harness, hurt my partner s back.

Bought a second hand baby Bjorn. Excellent job. Miles better than the cheaply.

NZCol – Member
    We used a Baby Bjorn and then a Macpac pack carrier which was amazing and is about to go up for sale, we are in edinburgh if you wanted it ?

I am interested in the macpac? Any details?

legend
    Free Member

2) It looks ridiculous on a man, even in grey, and especially if I’ve removed my t-shirt because of 1.

Womenz job innit

Mat

wow wasn’t expecting this many responses!

Wife uses a stokke carrier (I think it’s a baby bjorn style thing) that she got off gumtree but I prefer using the wrap – it’s faff to try and put on when you’re outside (it’s quite long so it’s hard to stop bits trailing on the ground) but once it’s on it’s pretty straightforward to adjust. It packs down nice and small relative to a other carriers too. I just like how snug she feels in it, and it feels less obtrusive, I can get on with doing stuff like making the tea whilst and see what I’m doing.

sirrormj – not sure how thick the boba wraps are, I’ve been using a hana wrap, I’ve never really had any issue with overheating with it (apart from when worn over a jumper in a warm room), it seems pretty breathable and thin. I guess some people run hotter than others. Regarding looks I know they’re a bit strange on a guy but I’m inclined not to GAS – it’s a nice way to spend time with my daughter!

I’ve been to see our local sling library which is what got me onto the stretchy wraps, I just figured I’d ask on here as I figured you lot would be more aligned with my hobbies!

We bought a secondhand Osprey Poco before she was born but we’re waiting for her to be big enough to use it. Also I’ve pinched my nephew’s Bumbo too! She goes in it for a few mins at a time but struggles to keep upright after much longer

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The problem with pretty much every single carrier is someone will tell you not to use them over an hour or so. Various reasons ranging from hip dysplasia, to unnatural spine curvature and so on. If I’d had my way I’d not have bothered with a buggy at all for 6 months. Depends on the size of your baby I guess.

I used the Baby Bjorn, both the front and the rearwards facing ones. The problem with carrying them on the back I found was getting the baby in and rotating round. They didn’t seem to like that bit. Then there’s the faff of getting them back out. I’ve never managed it without having to do some extreme contortions!

In summary, love ’em, they’re great!

sockpuppet

We use a Connecta which works well for me now my son is bigger (16 months).

Hip carry mostly, since he can see nothing at all past my shoulders on a back carry!

john

Used a connecta sling here, can be used front and back, holds them against you. Think we used it until she was nearly 2 but she’s a small toddler. Comfy to wear for a long time, hip friendly for the sling-ee apparently.

Much, much better than trying to take a pushchair on a busy rush hour bus on anything like a regular basis.

But my god they attract hippies. And you’ve called it baby wearing, so there’s basically no hope for you.

Mat

Those Connecta’s look a good shout, I’ll look into them!

Much, much better than trying to take a pushchair on a busy rush hour bus on anything like a regular basis.

This is what I’m amazed by with it all, I don’t get why it’s not the normal way to do things, they’re practical and much cheaper than a travel system*.

Baby wearing was chosen as I thought it’d lure out the type of responses I was after :P! Perhaps I’m in too deep and aren’t truly using it ironically anymore…

Anyway I’m off to slip out of my organic artisanal socks and lentil sandles and go to bed.

*might as well go all the way with the baby buzz words

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Can’t recommend our Tula enough, used it from birth (with special insert) for our youngest, who still happily faces inwards on the front at 14 months. Use exactly the same carrier on my back for our 3 year old. Front and back its exceptionally comfortable, much much more so than the baby Bjorn we had previously.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

we got one of these (ticks the stw box of being merino!) from tk maxx for half price (about 40 quid) a couple of months ago, my 3 month old lad seems to enjoy it being tucked inside and it’s pretty comfy to wear too. the upper part of the front of it on the pic is optional, to be used once they can support their own head. it can also be worn on yr back if/when needed…

turboferret

We have a Tula – the missus visited a sling library and it was a close-run thing between that and the Ergo. Very comfortable, much better than the BabyBjorn which he was in as a newborn. Fine for being worn on the back too, which is much less tiring and better for posture I find.

Wilfred is 13 months now and has been happy in it since about 6.

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Dadstrack world – Baby wearing’ is closed to new replies.