Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cyclocross bike/frame advice
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s come up a few times in the past but I can’t find any with the search, so…

I’m looking for advice on options for a £1000 or less Cyclocross bike
    not for racing more commuting and occasional off road jaunts,
    with rack mounts
    I have been thinking of a LeJog too which it could get used for (obviously with different tyres)
    or would I be better off getting a Sturdy road bike/tourer
    and keep the MTB’s for offroad

What’s out there that’ll fit the bill?

I like the look of the Genisis Day 1 Alfine Discs and the no faf gears
    Maybe a Kona Jake
    Any others that should be in the running?

Merak

I really like the Alfine equipped Genesis, nice colour too. Decent price, it has all the bits on it you need. I cant see past it tbh.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Seems to be spot on for what I’m looking for tbh too
    just wanted to check I’m wasn’t missing something

Merak

I saw it in a branch of Evans looks shit hot. It was a toss up between that and a Cotic X, I like the idea of the Alfine. 8)

AntLockyer
    Free Member

My opinion is that a cyclocross bike is good for cyclocross and not much cop for anything else. A road bike would be much better for your main usage IMHO

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’ve never had any sort of road bike other than my Charge Plug which is my daily commuter

I was sort of under the impression that a CX bike wasn’t a million miles away from the geometry of a road tourer but just with more room for bigger tyres + canti’s/discs

Is that completely not the case?

I was sort of leaning on the cx side of things as I’m not sure how much use I’d get out of a Road bike
    CX seemed to be a bit of a best of both

oldgit
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of spending on Alfine for what you require….essentialy a road bike with 28c’s.
    After all a F&R mech set up is going to last some time for your intended use.

I slightly disagree with AntLockyer, in fact I posted about this sort of thing yesterday. There are a few cross frames that cross!the line between cross, road, tourer and commuter. Something like a Crosslight can be dressed up and down to suit many needs from race day to euro tour.

Discs on road don’t make an awful lot of sense to me ‘yet’, plus I can’t get past how damn ugly they make a road bike look.

Personally I’d look to see how much a cross frame like a Crosslight or a ‘training’ frame like a Condor Fratello would cost to build up.

c
    Free Member

I’m a fan of my surly crosscheck. Use it to get to work and back and for canal towpath / round delemere etc. I’m thinking of doing lejog on it this year (if I can afford the time off work) but don’t know how it feels properly loaded up.

oldgit
    Free Member

Alfine, I’m thinking of Rolhoff when I talked of expense.

darrell
    Free Member

this is not ugly

Duc
    Free Member

Cotic X looks a good bet

AntLockyer
    Free Member

BB height and chainstay length on a proper CX frame would be a compromise for anything else and very wrong for touring with paniers.

aP
    Free Member

If I was going to ride it on the road a lot I’d choose a canti equipped bike over a disc bike – based on having ridden cx bikes for 15 years and also owning a disc’d Trek Portland. When I had my first cx frame built for me in 95, I had mudguard and rack eyes added and it was great for racing cx, road rides and it did several week long tours (with panniers).
    My current cx bike has mudguard eyes in case I want to use it as a road/tourer although the Portland is good when loaded up (I also use it to pull a bobyak).
    If you’re interested I have a 54cm BMC CX02 frame/forks + stem + seatpost hanging up which I’m looking to sell (also have 105 rear + front mech).

oldgit
    Free Member

this is not ugly

Indeed it transcends ugliness. If you saw that hanging up in Halfords with a £199 price tag you wouldn’t take a second glance.
    And the seat stay/wishbone affair is possibly the worst I’ve ever seen on a bike. Same for the fork crown. And graphics by Poundstretcher?.

Anyway what is it, and what’s it’s pedigree?

roger_mellie

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and got some helpful suggestions: LINK
    Am leaning towards the Cotic X.
    Mate at work has an Alfine Day One and says he could do with a few more gears on the roady bits of his commute.

oldgit
    Free Member

I know the Cotic X seems to be the new darling of STW, but again for me….no.
    For me it hasn’t left it’s mountain bike roots far enough, in fact that’s what it looks like, a drop barred MTB.
    Not seen any good reviews on yet either.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ahh my pet subject…

aP – Member
    If I was going to ride it on the road a lot I’d choose a canti equipped bike over a disc bike – based on having ridden cx bikes for 15 years and also owning a disc’d Trek Portland. When I had my first cx frame built for me in 95, I had mudguard and rack eyes added and it was great for racing cx, road rides and it did several week long tours (with panniers).
    My current cx bike has mudguard eyes in case I want to use it as a road/tourer although the Portland is good when loaded up (I also use it to pull a bobyak).

You’ve not said why you’d avoid discs – I love mine, mostly because I don’t wear rims out any more nor bring as much dirt into the house.

AntLockyer – Member
    BB height and chainstay length on a proper CX frame would be a compromise for anything else and very wrong for touring with paniers.

Heaps of folk happily tour on cx bikes no?

Not seen any good reviews on yet either.

Have you seen any?

IMO Alfine would have too wide ratios for road riding but not an issue if you don’t train/race.

That pure thing looks nice, my next want is a light steel cx bike with discs.

Andy

a light steel cx bike with discs

Pick any two 😛

+1 for a Surly Crosscheck

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Heaps of folk happily tour on cx bikes no?

I’m not so sure. My definition of a cx bike probably differs from most here. I for one cringe at bottle mounts, I want a high BB, short chainstays, low front end (one thing on my CX bike it I can’t get low enoguh at the front).

Smarty
    Free Member

Boardman Pro CX Cyclocross Road Bike Medium 2010
    or
    BeOne Chase 2010

I’m looking for the same thing and have these on my list. Not for racing, my commute is 10miles and can do 75-80% of it on canal bank. MTB takes me about 45mins, thought a cross bike might reduce that time slightly, if not make it a little easier.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve found the road discs a real faff. I’ve ridden about 2,500 miles on the Portland this year and had to replace one disc because it warped and meant the bike was unrideable, both sets of pads because they went off and wouldn’t brake satisfactorily. Oh, and the ringytingy noise most of the time as I ride along unless they’re adjusted just, just right.
    Cantilever brakes are so much easier to live with.

oldgit
    Free Member

Have you seen any?

Yeah loads….well one and that didn’t rate it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to work out how to use Avids aP, 4 years on road here with no issues.

aP
    Free Member

They’re shimano cable disc brakes – I wouldn’t buy any more.
    As I’ve been using disc brakes for 13 years, it’s just possible I know how to set them up. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t blame disc brakes for Shimano problems then (I had no issues with mien either btw 😛 )

AlasdairMc

I’m looking at the Cannondale CAADX 105 myself – far too many compromises on spec on the >X< Weekday and it’s quite heavy too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

get some discs, you’ll be pleased in the long run.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mate uses a Giant XCR with Ultegra 6600, and pOen pro’s on Hope Pro3’s if that’s any use!

dobo
    Free Member

built me a crosslight 5t as a do it all bike, well under 1k with mostly 2nd hand bits including the frame.. its a bit harsh but couldnt be doing with a heavy steal bike.
    using canti are fine, you only really loose that emergency breaking factor and makes your riding smoother and less stop/starty.
    used the 5t round swinley with no major breaking issues. when i jump on my mtb now the disc breaks feels better than awesome..
    probably get discs in a few years on a cx when lighter packages come out and i need a new frame/fork/wheelset..

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 good deals to be had on ebay right now on new KONA Jakes – and there is a 52cm Major Jake (one ride old) for £1000

Merak

AlasdairMc

I’m looking at the Cannondale CAADX 105 myself – far too many compromises on spec on the >X< Weekday and it’s quite heavy too.

Yep I like that one too. For me discs is a must though, spec is v similar on the CAADX and Cotic X

aP
    Free Member

There’s an interesting review of the coticx on road.cc

29erKeith
    Free Member

thanks for all the ideas and comments guys

I take the comment about gear range of the alfine
    but still really like the idea of discs, the brakes on my Charge plug are shocking in the wet

I hadn’t looked at it before because of the price but the Genisis Croix De Fer looks pretty good too.
    and after looking about it can be had for £1000

plus

It’s even the holder of a Guinness World Record since in 2010, in pursuit of an often-contested record, Vin Cox rode his Croix De Fer around the world faster than anyone has managed before

sounds like a pretty good confirmation that it’s a very capable tourer too.
    tbh looking at it, it isn’t really a CX bike at all is it, certainly not one for racing on anyway, but i was never looking at the racey end of CX anyway with rack mounts

So I think I may have made my mind up. Just a shame it’s not the same colour as the Day 1, I really liked the look of it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross bike/frame advice’ is closed to new replies.