Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cyclist's body found by roadside in Borders
  • organic355
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-12596069

Hopefully nobody from here, or anyone you know?

bigG
    Free Member

just about to post that, sounds like a tragic one. There’s never going to be a good ending to a situation like that.

Poor bugger..

stumpy01

What with this and the Brazil Critical Mass thing – not much nice reading at the moment.

Just this morning I was waiting for a safe spot to overtake a cyclist and the impatient chap in the Hyundai Coupe behind me decided he wanted to overtake me and the cyclist, so overtook just as I was about to, on the first clear stretch of road.

He pulled into his place of work about a mile further up and I was very tempted to follow him in and explain why I was waiting and why he thought it was OK to pass us both….decided it wasn’t worth the effort. Didn’t really want to get into an argument about why don’t cyclists pay tax etc. at 7:15 in the morning!

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

What horrible news.
    I hope to God he wasn’t hit & left to die.
    Thoughts are with his family.

5lab

He pulled into his place of work about a mile further up and I was very tempted to follow him in and explain why I was waiting and why he thought it was OK to pass us both….decided it wasn’t worth the effort. Didn’t really want to get into an argument about why don’t cyclists pay tax etc. at 7:15 in the morning!

out of interest, whats the problem with overtaking both of you? If he thought you weren’t going to overtake, doing so where there is plenty of visibility seems like a reasonable thing to do?

rootes1

and to be passed by a Hyundai as well – the shame of it

as a serious point, on my long ride home from work i’m amazed how close some driver get when they pass you..

of course the chap could of just had some sort medical issue

bad news all round really..

z1ppy

out of interest, whats the problem with overtaking both of you?

I can only assume that it wasn’t particularly safe place to pass, or organic would have overtaken the bike…

D0NK

out of interest, whats the problem with overtaking both of you?

dunno about the legalities or The Highway Codes take on it but if I was following any slow moving vehicle waiting to pass then on the first bit of open road the guy behind me nailed it passed I’d be pretty unhappy about it. Surely you give the person infront plenty of opportunity to overtake first?

Mr Hogg, who was from Hawick, was found with injuries but it was not yet clear how he died

I’ve got a bad feeling I know exactly what happened 🙁

pault41
    Free Member

[/quote]Surely you give the person infront plenty of opportunity to overtake first?

Not all drivers are as polite,especially around ceredigion or are ignorant to highway code.
    Overtake blind ,brows of hill,double whites ,seen em all,,n never a copper to see em….

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm – could be a medical reason but I guess if the damage to bike and injuries are excessive would suggest a hit and run.

On a similar note I was biking at my folks last week as I was looking after my mum after a hip replacement. I am a Devon rider and thought my infrequent close shaves were annoying enough but near East Grinstead, Sussex, the driving is appalling – 1 foot is all you get with drivers going 60 mph!!! The speeds they travel around blind bends and the chances they take are eye opening – I am glad I have returned to Devon!!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Could only imagine they were being ‘funny’

I am convinced of the hatred that some car drivers have for cyclists and that many times drivers “barnstorm” cyclists as they think scaring you is funny – then if they hit you I bet they won’t be the ones phoning for an ambulance?

Oh and to answers PeterPoddy’s potential next question I cycle towards the middle of the road!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

very sad indeed

I’m off on a 3 day tour in the borders on thursday as well

StirlingCrispin

There’s more here:
    http://news.stv.tv/scotland/east-central/231516-cyclist-dies-after-borders-road-accident/

“Michael Hogg, 46, from Hawick, is thought to have come off his bike at around 5pm on Sunday and died at the scene. He was spotted lying on the road by a passing motorist.
    There were no other vehicles or people involved in the accident which happened on the unclassified Ancrum to Denholm road near the hamlet of Minto in Roxburghshire.”

foxyrider
    Free Member

There were no other vehicles or people involved in the accident which happened on the unclassified Ancrum to Denholm road near the hamlet of Minto in Roxburghshire.

Lothian and Borders Police are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to contact them as they try to piece together what happened.

Eh? So if no one saw it then how do they know that no one else was involved?

thomthumb
    Free Member

all sounds a bit strange. but my thoughts are with the family.

Drac

Forensics CSI Hawick.

Thoughts with the family.

atlaz
    Free Member

Pretty sure when I was a kid a cyclist was hit on a stretch of dual carriageway that went into the city centre. He’d died before he was found but they estimated he’d been alive for a few days in a drainage ditch but unable to move due to injuries. I remember it from time to time and because of it (scaring the crap out of me) almost always leave some idea of the route I’m taking when I’m riding alone.

warton
    Free Member

My dad was found by the side of the road. He’d had a heart attack while on his bike on a lovely hot summers day (i remember it well!), but managed to sit down in a country lane before he died. I always thought it would be a nice, peaceful way to die, but thats probably me seeing it through rose colored glasses.

Different if you’re actually moving when something like that happens though as the article above.

bigjim

Hopefully PC Plod didn’t say that just so they don’t have to exert themselves invesigating a criminal incident! not that I don’t trust the police or anything.

baldSpot
    Free Member

Warton

That does sound a nice way to go. Hope my death is something similar.

stumpy01

5lab – Member

out of interest, whats the problem with overtaking both of you? If he thought you weren’t going to overtake, doing so where there is plenty of visibility seems like a reasonable thing to do?

Just seen this….good question.

I was clearly waiting to overtake the cyclist. We were just coming around a left hand bend that was opening (over a very slight crest too). I had only just got enough visibility to see that it was indeed clear to go and glanced in my wing mirror to check it was clear from behind.
    He’d already started his overtaking manoeuvre and was almost alongside me – so, at the time he initiated the overtake there was no way he could have seen whether it was safe or not – especially given that my position on the road to get an ‘earliest’ view would have hindered his line of vision & he would have been sitting slightly lower in his car, which wouldn’t have helped.

I did wonder if he had got the jump on me in terms of visibility and assessing how clear it was, but I don’t see how he could have – although I am open to be corrected on how this might be possible.

I think he was just being impatient.

D0NK

There were no other vehicles or people involved in the accident

[quote]Lothian and Borders Police are appealing for any witnesses to the incident to contact them as they try to piece together what happened.[/quote]Is it me or do those two quotes not go together? The first one did not have a “it is thought…” prefix, it’s a statement of fact, then they ask for help piecing events together. Could be bad reporting of course.
    46? not that old.
    There’s often flowers down on a section of my commute, cyclist victim of a hit and run, driver never found, hope this isn’t a similar case.

I think he was just being impatient a tool

FTFY

thegreatape
    Free Member

The chap was found on Sunday night, so his PM would have been done yesterday morning, and the result known in time for the second police statement yesterday afternoon. It sounds like they have treated it as an RTC (with road closure, scene investigation etc) until they knew otherwise.

I don’t know of course, but that exact scenario happened near here last year.

EDIT – Just reread the STV one and it says head injuries, so not the same.

windinherhair
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if it transpires that he hit a pothole, came off, and suffered trauma to the head.
    Poor guy.

jenbe
    Free Member

like i always say, kill my loved one ill kill you!

Phatman
    Free Member

The chap was found on Sunday night, so his PM would have been done yesterday morning, and the result known in time for the second police statement yesterday afternoon. It sounds like they have treated it as an RTC (with road closure, scene investigation etc) until they knew otherwise.

Don’t jump to conclusions PM’s take longer than that, don’t believe everything you see on Silent Witness.

boxelder

like i always say, kill my loved one ill kill you!

?
    Would you kill ‘them’ because the act of killing your loved one is so wrong? In which case, would you be any less wrong.
    I’ve got plenty of loved ones, but can’t really relate to this. I suppose it boils down to whether it’s ever right to kill someone (outside of war, which I’m always torn over)

fisha
    Free Member

death in public place on a road would probably normally result in a road closure and all the usual crash investigation stuff … better to have done it at the time, then to find out it may not have been needed than waiting a few days for a PM and then having to close the road later.

witnesses dont necessarily have to have seen him at the side of the road, if someone turns up and says “i passed at ? time and he wasn’t there ” then it helps narrow down timelines … even though that person had no involvement.

jenbe
    Free Member

Would you kill ‘them’ because the act of killing your loved one is so wrong? In which case, would you be any less wrong.
    I’ve got plenty of loved ones, but can’t really relate to this. I suppose it boils down to whether it’s ever right to kill someone (outside of war, which I’m always torn over)

I only have 4 loved ones, if it was a real accident i think id be more forgiving but if for say some one raped and killed my girlfreind, then id have to do some thing really very silly…i cant understand how other people dont think like that, but that’s just me,

nonk
    Free Member

like i always say

yeah i always say that.. 🙄

rudedog
    Free Member

How has the discovery of a dead cyclist lead to talk of retribution for rape and murder?

jenbe
    Free Member

How has the discovery of a dead cyclist lead to talk of retribution for rape and murder?

**** knows 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t jump to conclusions PM’s take longer than that, don’t believe everything you see on Silent Witness.

I haven’t thanks, I’m basing it on numerous death reports I’ve written for coroners and PF’s.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist's body found by roadside in Borders’ is closed to new replies.