Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Cyclist / cycle lane / "road rage" video
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

If the roles were reversed and the cop had cut up the bike would we be defending the cop??!

His ridding fell below the standard. He was requested to stop. He ignored it. Went straight in with the attitude and got read his rights.

You’re on your bike, you’re an ambassador, set the standard.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“You’re on your bike, you’re an ambassador”

No you’re not; you’re just you, on your bike. Nothing else.

“His ridding fell below the standard”

Unless you have access to information the rest of us don’t, how do you know this?

“Went straight in with the attitude and got read his rights.”

Who, the copper?

Superficial
    Free Member

There was an interesting comment in the (car) dashcam thread about how dashcams made their owners drive more carefully because they were aware of how things could look on film. The opposite seems to be true for cyclists with cameras – it appears to make people act like entitled tossers.

In this case, the rider joined the road in the police car’s blind spot, effectively forcing plod to either swerve or brake. If cyclists want to campaign for drivers leaving a car-sized patch of road when overtaking cyclists (and we should all want this), you can’t force your way into a 24″ gap in someone else’s lane.

If I were the copper, I’d have cited ‘cycling furiously’ as a reason to take his name down.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If Police are going to go around telling cyclists how to ride then they need to be given some training so they have some perspective and pick people up when they’re really riding badly, not stuff like this

THIS

Not that above.

Cougar

the rider joined the road in the police car’s blind spot

I’m failing to see how this would be a problem to someone who had been a police driver for 30 years and was driving past a good number of cyclists. The cyclist wasn’t perfect sure, but not anticipating that is shitty driving.

I’d have hung back and let them all go, cycle lane or no, then passed when it was safe to do so. I sure as hell wouldn’t have done it through a junction.

brooess
    Free Member

Have you ever ridden much in London? You spend most of your time passing static traffic – passing from blind spot to blind spot…

And to my point above – if the Policeman were properly trained about what is best practice cycling technique (Bikeability) and the way that cyclists will ride to keep themselves safe, then he would have also known that ‘cycling furiously’ wouldn’t have stuck as a charge as all the cyclist was doing was riding along the carriageway, which isn’t ‘cycling furiously’

Superficial
    Free Member

As far as I could tell from the video, the cyclist is parallel to the Police car when he chooses to move to the right and into the main road – essentially changing lanes.

Clearly the fat policeman is a clown who reached for the horn instead of the brake, but the cyclist doesn’t have the moral high ground here either. The Policeman didn’t pull him up for cycling badly (as above, he will have seen plenty of worse cyclist moves that day) he pulled him up for being gobby.

fourbanger
    Free Member

No you’re not; you’re just you, on your bike. Nothing else.

Yes you are. If you like it or not, your represent cyclist just by being on a bike on the road. How you behave on your bike directly influences how other road users see cyclist. Try not to ride like a nob.

Unless you have access to information the rest of us don’t, how do you know this?

1.40 he veered straight out of his lane into another lane. You think that’s acceptable use of the road?

Who, the copper?

2:25 – “what do ya want mate?” Straight in with the attitude.

Is it your video clodhopper?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Car must be in the right here according to you clodhopper.

njee20
    Free Member

Weve got the best cycle paths between Dorking and Leatherhead, but you still get these weapons riding on the dual carrigeways….boils my piss!

Like a few others I can’t let that slide! They’re pretty shit. Loads of debris, bad surface, road crossings. Ok Spring/summer, but in winter it’s one giant puddle, and in Autumn it’s buried in leaves which can be lethal! I’ll use the road if I damn well want!

kerley
    Free Member

This thread highlights a major downside to cycle lanes. Even some cyclists think you have to use one if it is there. If you want to ride at 20mph then the best place is not a cycle lane, it is on the road.

Most drivers probably think you are breaking the law by cycling on their road but you would hope most cyclists wouldn’t…

eshershore
    Free Member

Not commenting on this video directly, but I had an encounter with a poorly educated copper on Cable Street in East London recently.

on an evening CS3 (cycle lane) was very busy with cyclists riding very fast (too fast considering the width and number of other riders), a good number without lights, some on the wrong side of the dual lane at times or doing dangerous overtakes causing oncoming riders to brake or swerve.

I decided to ride on Cable Street which runs parallel to CS3, as I felt the cycle lane was unsafe.

Coming up to a junction (I am doing 20km/h) a copper yells at me “Oi! Green hat, come here” (I was wearing a green Giro helmet), so I slow down and stop.

Then proceeds to tell me I have no business riding on the road. As a cycle lane has been provided. I politely tell him what the highway code states, that I have considered CS3 dangerous, and I have a right of way to cycle on the highway.

He is having none of this, and continues to press his “case”, I ask him why he is not stopping cyclists riding at night without lights (passing right next to him), he says nothing about that. He also fails to stop a motorist who has turned across the cycle path as we are talking…

He gets aggressive, starts calling me “Geez..”

I ask him for his badge number and station address, at that point he asks me to go about my business 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think the problem is that the Police basically do what the daily mail reading, LBC listening idiots tell them to do, even when the thing they are complaining about is perfectly legal.

gwaelod
    Free Member

HH’s point is why we should all be taking the PCC elections more seriously. They are potentially a chance to force roads policing higher up police priority list. Idealistic yes..but with UKIP putting up PCC candidates in some areas……..

gummikuh

If the roles were reversed and the cop had cut up the bike would we be defending the cop??!

His ridding fell below the standard. He was requested to stop. He ignored it. Went straight in with the attitude and got read his rights.

You’re on your bike, you’re an ambassador, set the standard.

Is this a troll? I would guess he has never ridden a bicycle, I always swerve to miss potholes, pedestrians you name it, Car drivers have to anticipate this and the highway code makes provision for this by allowing us this room, I do not have the benefit of a rear view mirror on my bike, and am not about to put one on just to appease dumb car drivers.
    That copper is what is wrong with the Met police. An ambassador I think was the term fourbanger used.
    Does fourbanger refer to a car engine I wonder?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Yes you are. If you like it or not, your represent cyclist just by being on a bike on the road. How you behave on your bike directly influences how other road users see cyclist. Try not to ride like a nob.

No, No thrice no. Every time you go out as a woman how you behave directly influences how other people see women. Are you going to stand by that statement?

http://beyondthekerb.org.uk/2013/10/11/the-most-basic-respect/

fourbanger
    Free Member

Have you never heard a member of the public, colleague, associate, random on YouTube talk about “cyclists”?

You’ve literally just posted an article supporting my argument. Just because it’s not how it should be and you don’t like it, doesn’t mean it isn’t the case.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How you behave on your bike directly influences how other road users see cyclist.

Yes just like every drink driver and joy rider affects how we all think about all car drivers rather than affect what we think of them and some car users.

TBH if we all rode like saints some car drivers would still hate us

Yes there are bad cyclist but lets not pretend all the hatred is just die to how we cycle. Car driving standards, cannot say for london, are far worse than any cycling I see and FAR more dangerous to other road users.

what do ya want mate?” Straight in with the attitude

Yes one can hardly be more disrespectful to a copper than ask them why they stopped you.
    Probably amongst the worst ways he has ever been spoken to by anyone.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

With eight million arseholes in one toilet youre gonna get a lot of shit.

Copper’s already got a monk on about the first guy then when laddo cuts him up (which he does) that’s his excuse to get righteous

fourbanger
    Free Member

gummikuh, not trolling, just wondered if we watched the same video. I saw a cyclist give a copper some attitude, cut him up, fail to stop, then get what was coming. Copper could have handled it better. Cyclist could have avoided it altogether.

I cycled Waterloo to London Bridge yesterday. Managed to do it without jumping any red lights, cutting anyone up or causing any agro, so yeah I cycle.

Does fourbanger refer to a car engine I wonder?

not sure what that means?

STATO
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

I’m failing to see how this would be a problem to someone who had been a police driver for 30 years and was driving past a good number of cyclists. The cyclist wasn’t perfect sure, but not anticipating that is shitty driving.
    [/quote]

It wasn’t a problem for the police driver, hence why he didn’t squash him. But as the officer pointed out to the cyclist, riding like that might end him up under someone elses wheel (the lorry). If you change lanes you should only do so if there is space.

Pulling out to overtake a slower cyclist into the path of an accelerating car (it was also pulling away from the lights) is a stupid move that cyclists in London seem to love doing.

Stand outside Kings cross on a visit to London and every phase of lights is filled with cyclists pulling stupid moves trying to overtake each other by diving out in front of the cars also trying to pull away. Given how much everyone says cabbies in London hate cyclists im amazed there isn’t a fight every 5 minutes outside that place.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Yes one can hardly be more disrespectful to a copper than ask them why they stopped you.
    Probably amongst the worst ways he has ever been spoken to by anyone.

If you want to pretend that the way he spoke wasn’t confrontational that’s fine. If I’d just swerved from lane to lane, cutting up a police car, it wouldn’t be my opening line. Swerving into the police car’s lane was confrontational and how he spoke was confrontational. All the other cyclist managed to hold their lane. He wanted confrontation and he got it.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Fourbanger; I think you are putting 2 and 2 together, and making 5, 6, 7 or whatever suits your own particular argument. Several other people see things differently. And we disagree with you. You are of course entitled to your point of view, as are we to ours.

“Yes you are. If you like it or not, your represent cyclist just by being on a bike on the road. How you behave on your bike directly influences how other road users see cyclist. Try not to ride like a nob.”

Again; repeating this doesn’t make it any more correct. It’s just your own opinion. Personally, I represent nobody but myself, just as one Black/Jewish/Muslim/Gay/whatever person doesn’t represent anyone else whatever group you may choose to put them in. A person on a bike is nothing more than an individual human being, and to see them as otherwise is to act with prejudice.

Cougar

Did we watch the same video?

The copper didn’t “request him to stop,” he leant on his horn and shouted some twaddle about cycle lanes, as far as I can tell primarily as a result of someone else swerving out of the cycle lane. As soon as he fired up the blues and twos the cyclist stopped as soon as was (arguably) safe to do so. Big man in a big car hurling abuse, I’d have ignored him too. I’ve no time for bullies.

The copper then didn’t read him anything, he went on a tirade of whataboutery and tried to intimidate the cyclist with threats about taking his name (which you’re not obliged to comply with unless being detained). As soon as the policeman realised the rider wasn’t about to bend over he sodded off.

And what “riding standard” exactly constituted him breaking the law?

Cougar

Seems a perfectly reasonable request to me, given that the evidence he’d provided to that point was “you’re not in the cycle lane” which is pish (and the subsequent explanation was based on clairvoyance).

spursn17
    Free Member

Don’t like the whole “you should be in the cycle lane” attitude, least of all from the police who should know better.

Getting more of this now that some of the cycle lanes in central London are opening, I’ve already had some ‘that’s your bit and this is ours’ comments while commuting. Some of the cycle traffic lights take ages to change and it’s quicker to use the proper road.

As for the copper, some are great and some deserve the pig title, same as any other cross section of society.

PS; telling a traffic cop to ‘lose the attitude mate’ does not go down well, I know this 😀

fourbanger
    Free Member

Again; repeating this doesn’t make it any more correct. It’s just your own opinion. Personally, I represent nobody but myself, just as one Black/Jewish/Muslim/Gay/whatever person doesn’t represent anyone else whatever group you may choose to put them in. A person on a bike is nothing more than an individual human being, and to see them as otherwise is to act with prejudice.

You make a valid point there. No one in the history of the world has ever been prejudice…. Apart from, to a greater or lesser extent, just about every human to have ever existed.

You may not like the fact that people are prejudice against all sorts of different groups with common traits, but they are.

You may see yourself as an individual who rides a bike, fantastic! Many people will see you as just another cyclist. If you chose to or not, if they meet you, you represent cyclists. This isn’t something you get a choice in. This is the real world. How you behave on a bike has an influence on how people view and treat cyclists.

Susie
    Free Member

Did we watch the same video?

The copper didn’t “request him to stop,” he leant on his horn and shouted some twaddle about cycle lanes, as far as I can tell primarily as a result of someone else swerving out of the cycle lane. As soon as he fired up the blues and twos the cyclist stopped as soon as was (arguably) safe to do so. Big man in a big car hurling abuse, I’d have ignored him too. I’ve no time for bullies.

The copper then didn’t read him anything, he went on a tirade of whataboutery and tried to intimidate the cyclist with threats about taking his name (which you’re not obliged to comply with unless being detained). As soon as the policeman realised the rider wasn’t about to bend over he sodded off.

And what “riding standard” exactly constituted him breaking the law?

This.

The guy with the camera was in the cycle lane until after the police car sounded his horn. He seemed to move out of his lane as a result of the conversation with the copper. I thought the copper was sounding his horn at the other guy.

singletrackmind

Dont call me mate

I watch too many cops with camera crew programs and all the policemen call the poor chap who has been pulled over ‘ mate ‘

They are not his mate , thay are going to cost the poor guy points and pounds or crush his car, not the sort of actions a mate would do.

This copper is a ****, beeping his horn , then the two tones as a bike gets near his car , well welcome to London.

As for the ‘ There is abike lane , you must use it attitude ‘ get lost , its full of fat knackers on Decathlon hybrids doing 12mph

brooess
    Free Member

You may see yourself as an individual who rides a bike, fantastic! Many people will see you as just another cyclist. If you chose to or not, if they meet you, you represent cyclists. This isn’t something you get a choice in. This is the real world. How you behave on a bike has an influence on how people view and treat cyclists.

You’re right. The real world is full of ill-informed prejudiced people making negative, stereotyped judgements.

But where you wrong is whether we have a choice in this. We can’t choose not to be the target of someone else’s prejudice but we can choose to fight back and correct that prejudice. You may have noticed that the 20th century and esp the last 10 years or so, the fight back against prejudice has made some great progress: Jews, Blacks, Women, Gays, Disabled – all these communities have fought back and made progress…

So you can roll over and say ‘some people judge cyclists, deal with it’, or you can fight back. Remembering that at it’s worst this prejudice has resulted in people being killed and their killers given no real punishment (read Martin Porter’s recent piece about biased juries. It’s also stopping a lot of people riding as they’re too scared because of the poor quality and aggressiveness of driving…

So on the one hand you’re right, cyclists get judged. But where we disagree is on whether we should accept that, or fight for positive change. Given the impact more people riding will have on mental health, pollution and obesity I think it’s well worth fighting back. Let alone the fact that I just like riding my bike without being abused by idiots who can’t cope with change..

And someone needs to have a word with that cop about reciprocity. If he goes around addressing members of the public so aggressively, he’s going to get static back. Perhaps if his opening lines were a bit more adult he might get a better response! The cyclist was hardly some hardened criminal committing the crime of the century…

oldtalent
    Free Member

As a pedestrian, mountain biker & car driver in that order, I though the road rider was riding like a total b@llend weaving around like that.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I never suggested not fighting prejudice. I just said set the standard when it comes to how you use the road. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

belugabob
    Free Member

Neither the cyclist or the policeman came out of that looking good.

The key thing for me, though, is that the policeman was happy to throw the weight of his ‘authority’ around, then backed off without issuing a fine or a caution, when he realised that he was losing the argument.

(Not helped by his completely unobservant behaviour whilst getting in/out of his own vehicle, and a poor understanding of the law, despite 30 years ‘service’)

ALL road users need to just wind their necks in – it’s getting far to unpleasant out there.

v8ninety

Neither party came out of that well. Cyclist looked to be trying to prove a point to me; his manoeuvre seemed to either deliberately or otherwise take him too close to the police vehicle, which could be interpreted as provocative. Copper displayed typical arrogant copper attitude; they are so used to people either a) sucking up to them, or b) giving them verbal, that they struggle to respond to the middle ground that this was; someone sticking up for himself in a confident but possibly a little too bolshy a way. Neither handled the verbal very well, too much of both parties being convinced of their own correctness, and FAR too little of both parties listening to what the other has got to say. Militant cyclist meets dyed in the wool copper, went probably a little better than could be expected TBH.

1-1

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If he cycled out without indicating he deserved to get pulled over. Any other road user would.

If he did, can’t see a problem with his riding. Its not how I would personally ride but don’t have an issue really with others doing it.

v8ninety

If he cycled out without indicating he deserved to get pulled over. Any other road user would.
    If he did, can’t see a problem with his riding. Its not how I would personally ride but don’t have an issue really with others doing it.

Sort of agree, except the act of indicating is just that; an indication of intentions. It doesn’t give the rider/driver an express right to carry out the manoeuvre, just lets other road users know what he/she would like to do.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Sort of agree, except the act of indicating is just that; an indication of intentions. It doesn’t give the rider/driver an express right to carry out the manoeuvre, just lets other road users know what he/she would like to do.

Fair point as he could have just ridden straight into the path of the copper with or without his arm sticking out.

TheSanityAssassin

The only ‘attitude’ I can see is that of an arsey copper who just wants to throw his weight around for no reason. I do thousands of road miles a year, but commuting by bike in a city like that London just looks so shit that I doubt I’d bother. I’d rather take my chances in the traffic than plod along getting frustrated by all the nodders in the bike lane though.

singletrackmind

Sarcasm mode on / Oh yes , you see countless BMW’s and Audi’s getting stopped by the police everyday for not indicating at roundabouts or when lane changing on the motorway // Sarcasm mode off

v8ninety

The only ‘attitude’ I can see is that of an arsey copper who just wants to throw his weight around for no reason.

probably says more about your own internal bias than anything constructive about the video, TBH. I’m sure I’m slave to my own biases, but they both acted like pig headed dicks in my eyes. Neither listened to one another, and both repeated what they wanted to say without accepting or even acknowledging the others perspective.

Bobby – you cycle like a dick and are going get yourself killed
    Cyclist – you think I should be on the cycle path and shouldn’t blow your horn at people
    Bobby – I sounded my horn as per the Highway Code and have not said you should be on the cycle path, RESPEC’ MA AUTHORITAH!
    Cyclist – you think I should be on a cycle path and you shouldn’t blow your horn at people
    Bobby – RESPEC’ MA AUTHORITAH!!!

Etc etc.

Both dicks. One more dangerous and should know better than the other, mind you

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist / cycle lane / "road rage" video’ is closed to new replies.