Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Cycling words which annoy you….
  • jedi

cfh, takes to long 😉

barrykellett
    Free Member

Steed, Stable, Darkside, Jey, quiver

Fred is so Jey, He's just added a Darkside steed to his stable. I cant believe he has such a quiver of machines.

STFU you ass hole

Edric64
    Free Member

Get wiv da timez bruv innit!

That sounds like mockney Jamaican shit lingo

Kahurangi

"Rapha"

yunki
    Free Member

BONK… most of the words mentioned so far have suitable alternatives and/or are easily understood by the majority of the english speaking world..

except for the childish and irreverent bonk

Usually it's only young folk that use these words anyway.. and they are an annoying breed to be avoided at all costs…
    I quite like all the jhey.. and gnar and steed etc etc.. it makes it a very quick and simple task to sort out the annoying and quite possibly mentally flawed from the rest of us without actually ever having to try to get to know someone..

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Non-French roadies being pretentious and using French.

Its not a bidon its a bottle

Its not a parcours its a course or a route

Its not a musette its a food bag.

Algore
    Free Member

A 'quiver' is surf speak for a collection of boards (more than 6). A surfer has a choice of different boards so go and shoot the waves.
    So think it's fair enough to use the same lingo in biking. Providing of course that you have more than 6 bikes in your quiver!

mefty
    Free Member

Uponthe downs – Great post, chapeau!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

the war room ! WTF?

Gary_M
    Free Member

uponthedowns I take it you call the current grant tour 'the tour of France'?

Oh and people in mixing mile and kilometres.

Edric64
    Free Member

Its not a musette its a food bag.

As long as I can remember it's been a musette which is 30 years+

coatesy
    Free Member

Not heard much now, but how about "spiking", never heard of until somebody developed service components to cure it, and all of a sudden every suspension component suffered from it.

Woody
    Free Member

Fork action that is described as buttery smooth…….I blame Marlon Brando 8) …..can't journos' find something else to describe how the bloody things work.

There appears to be no 'in-between' it's either buttery smooth or the other favourite, stiction 👿

bassspine
    Free Member

if we invented a new word on this forum and used it regularly, how long would it take before it appeared in print?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ghetto – bodging
    Sessioning – riding the same bit again and again
    Northshore – when it's actually just a wooden bridge
    Singletrack – when used to describe a normal "path."
    Hardpack/firetrail – when it's just a road
    Technical – when it just has a little drop/root

Quiver is for surfboards (or windsurfers) NOT for bikes.

grahamh
    Free Member

BONK… most of the words mentioned so far have suitable alternatives and/or are easily understood by the majority of the english speaking world..

except for the childish and irreverent bonk

I think you will find that to 'bonk' (to run out of energy), had been in the cycling language long before it came in to common usage (to have sex).

Fork action that is described as buttery smooth…….I blame Marlon Brando …..can't journos' find something else to describe how the bloody things work.

Now there is even "I can't belive it not butterly somooth".

Houns

People saying Chapeau

silverpigeon
    Free Member

if we invented a new word on this forum and used it regularly, how long would it take before it appeared in print?

Great idea. Lets revive some 80's slang…personally I miss the word 'Kushty'

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I'd like to nominate Chad. Not the country, never been there. When I worked in an LBS a student we described poor quality stuff as Chad, as in Chad Valley toy shop quality.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Aye, Bonnk & Musette have been used for years.

@surf-matt. If its in a forest it almost is a firetrail (well, fireroad) though.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Thing I dislike is when words like 'sick' and 'rad' are delivered by Brits with a half-hearted attempt at a North American accent. By all means use the words, but in your 'own' voice, please…

(Queens English):"I was out cycling today on some rather fine singletrack, when I encountered a somewhat rad technical section with a distinct element of gnarl. I was able to complete this section without dabbing. I am happy to report that this experience was somewhat sick in nature and left me feeling rather stoked. I will be home for tea in half-an-hour…"

sor
    Free Member

The first time I heard the term darkside in a cycling reference was when it was used to describe recumbent bikes/trikes, and the riders thereof.

Is it also frowned upon to use the term in that occasion? Because I might otherwise have to revert back to calling them completely ****ing idiotic instead.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i was reading this thread, with increasing comfort that although there are many new 'english' words i dislike, i could think of no biking related words that annoyed me.

and then, thanks to the fork-related post from Graham, i realised that i intensely dislike the word 'plush'

what does it even mean!?!?

at least 'huck' 'gnarly' 'fireroad' etc, are words that mean something; a huck is a drop without a landing transition, gnarly is something technical and intimidating, a fireroad is a gravel forest road – only with 3 less syllables…

but wtf does plush mean? – we already have to deal with words like 'sensitivity' and 'spring-rate' and 'progressiveness' – i cannot think what aspect of fork behaviour can be described at 'plush'

it's even a horrible word to say, unlike 'plinth' and 'peninsula'…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

MartinGT – Member

@surf-matt. If its in a forest it almost is a firetrail (well, fireroad) though.
    I agree with matt on this, the correct term in the UK is forest road, as used by the Forestry Commission. Firetrail or fireroad is presumably a North American term. Like arse not ass.

yunki
    Free Member

I think you will find that to 'bonk' (to run out of energy), had been in the cycling language long before it came in to common usage (to have sex).

I will concede that a quick google search backs up your theory.. but as this only throws up some chad american dictionary references and a spurious connection to the word being used in reference to cycling on a 1955 film.. I am not convinced that your argument is anything other than outrage and misguided poppycock..

besides which.. my argument was not with the authenticity and provenance of the word.. but with the suitability..

Xylene
    Free Member

darkside – it's not a vampire movie

Content – warning darkside content inside or or contains slick tyre content – boils my pee that does.

smiffy

Front Traction
    Rear Cassette
    Perch
    "Radical" to describe something quite conventional eg "Radically Sloped Top-Tube" (C) MBR 1990-2010

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

"stoked" is an interesting case – 'cos much as americanisms and neologisms annoy me there really is no synonym for "stoked" that I know – you can even say it is a sentance really.

After that ride I was somewhat excited and proud with a surfeit of adrenaline

doglover
    Free Member

steel is real — when quite clearly the differences apart from weight are marginal

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Marin

grahamh
    Free Member

I will concede that a quick google search backs up your theory..

Nooop, parents where using that term back in the 50's and 60's (Newbury RC and Charlotteville CC) and they
    go it from older cyclists who had been racing back in the 30's and 40's.

tazzymtb

I use the term "the darkside" but to refer to the bits of cannock chase far away from the trail center crowds where it's dark and dank and there are lions and tigers and bears (and black panthers and werewolves if you believe the local press) so what should I use instead to ensure that I don't cause boiling wee amongst the STW massive?
    alternatives:

the soggy, rooty off camber bits you have to have good local knowledge of to find ?

or

the bits which make all the trail center stuff over on the other side look Shite, but let's not tell everyone otherwise they'll get trashed?

Alex

Steelfreak made me laugh anyway. I do feel he could have worked harder and introduced "crumpets" and "medals" but otherwise a fine effort.

I'm not a big fan of bike reviews that describe a frame as "laterally stiff but vertically compliant" or the other way round. I think they're telling fibs 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Nooop, parents where using that term back in the 50's and 60's

That's all very well and good.. and I'm not disputing your info.. only I'm pretty sure that the term bonk as a sexual description pre-dates the bicycle by some considerable time..

I think that YOU will find that you have entirely missed my point.. and this is a silly debate that I cannot prove.. and one that I would not have entered into if I hadn't encountered the distasteful 'I think you'll find…..' earlier in the thread..

I'm off for my lunch..
    ciao

_tom_
    Free Member

darkside
    hooning/to hoon
    plush (when referring to forks)
    ghetto
    chainwhip – it's a bit of chain on the end of a stick
    hydration pack – dunno why but it just sounds a bit over the top for what is essentially a bag full of water with a tube running out of it.

tazzy, fancy showing us round the good bits of the "darkside" at cannock some time? I'm a bit bored of ftd/the monkey now but I think cannock is the closest half decent off road place to me. Think I've done some that were apparently called "rollercoaster" and "pebbles" which were fun, I don't know if they're what you're on about though.

tazzymtb

_tom_ it would be a pleasure mate, drop me an email (in profile) and I'll sort something out to suit your fitness and what kind of riding you like.

cheers

Taz

singletrackhor
    Free Member

weekend warrior
    SL
    darkside
    steed

Nainosliw
    Free Member

"fail"

MrsToast
    Free Member

"Overbiked"

schmiken

Colourway.

It's a friggin's colourscheme!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Cycling words which annoy you….’ is closed to new replies.