Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Cycling wardrobe: what do you have?
  • SaxonRider

With all the talk about needing or having various supplies for winter, I am wondering what people actually own/use, and what would be sufficient for the various types of weather and styles of riding we do.

Personally, I have a road bike, a commuter, and a mountain bike.

For the commuter, I just wear normal clothes and try to avoid changing at work.

For road, I have a single baselayer top and a summer jersey that I pair up with fleece-lined bib tights. Then, when it is very cold, I will put on a fleece over everything followed by a light wind shell. And I have a pair of gloves. Oh, and I just bought overshoes to go over my road shoes, as my feet often freeze.

For mountain, I use an old pair of fleece-lined non-bib tights, over which I put a pair of Endura 3/4 shorts, including the padded liner. Then, it is a long-sleeved t-shirt with a mountain bike jersey from Lidl over top, followed by the same fleece I wear for road, and a RaceFace winter jacket over that. Finally, it is ‘windproof’ Sealskin gloves. I put waterproof Karrimor walking shoes on my feet as I use flats.

Anyone else basically cobble together their kit? Because I don’t know how it would be possible both to purchase and store everything we would need to dress ‘properly’ for every occasion and weather type…

thomthumb
    Free Member

i *try* and have separate commuting kit.

Makes things simpler after weekday evening rides (particulary muddy mtb) and weekend rides.

Yak

Same for mtb and road for me, bar the shoes. I don’t have differing ‘wardrobes’, just cycle clothing. I suppose it is more xc/road in appearance than gnar/baggy/pyjamas though.

Now it’s all roubaix bib tights and jerseys, gilet, merino baselayer and overshoes.

njee20
    Free Member

Huge amounts, most of which doesn’t get used! Same for all bikes, except the Brompton, which is just ridden in normal clothes. The stuff I use:

5 soft shells (Assos, Gore, Vulpine)
    6ish base layers, for winter/spring/autumn
    3 pairs of bibtights (Assos, Pearl Izumi)
    Leg warmers (Assos)
    Arm warmers (Assos and Sugoi)
    Knee warmers (Bontrager and Adidas)
    About 10 pairs of bib shorts too worn for summer use I wear under tights
    5 pairs of bibshorts for summer use, mainly team ones
    10 team jerseys, mainly short sleeve, couple of long sleeve
    3 team gilets
    About 8 pairs of gloves for every type of use!

Most of the Assos stuff is 5+ years old, definitely worth it for longevity. In terms of volume/draw space I’ve got at least as much i don’t wear! 😳

fasthaggis

I have my spring/summer best kit,but for now,it’s all about the winter/commuting homeless person look.
    I change at work and would never interact with any other humans while dressed in my winter gear.
    It’s a mixture of old summer kit(that I should really have thrown out),and a sprinkling of Aldi bargain bin deals.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Too much

2 winter tops
    2 autim tops
    3 summer tops

! autumn softshell
    3 winter softshells
    i light waterproof
    1 heavier proper waterproof

One gillet
    One pair of stealth endura
    3 tights
    7 ish shorts
    3 shoes – road
    Summer
    Winter

Knee and arm warmers

3 helmets

Various gloves
    3 camelbacks

Probably more than that – I have a separate wardrobe for cycling clothes

scotroutes

A wardrobe. Fitted. In the study. 🙂

I’ve managed to build up an assortment of clothing over the years and have been sensible/lucky in my choice of brands so it tends to last a while.

rocketman
    Free Member

Cycling wardrobe

^^ lol

No specific conditions kit here just stuff that layers with other stuff

benp1

Hmmm, for winter only use quite a bit

Some stuff is used on both the road/commute and MTB
    – 10-12 long sleeve base layers
    – 3 LS jerseys (usually wear SS)
    – primaloft fronted gilet
    – 5 pairs of insulated gloves

Road/commute winter kit – 4 long bib tights, 3 softshell jackets, 2 pairs overshoes, lobster gloves

MTB winter kit – 3 long tights (wear shorts over the top), 2 softshell jackets

Other kit, e,g, waterproofs, are used throughout the year. Don’t wear things like arm warmers or leg warmers in the winter really, usually just spring and autumn

jamiep
    Free Member

commute: budget brands, with reflective bits, that I don’t care if it gets oil-stained
    mtb: slightly more expensive but I still won’t cry if brambles snag it
    road: a spiralling list of very posh stuff to cover every minutiae of possible weather three times over

scuttler

More black and grey stuff that the Empire it seems.

Time to upgrade if/when euro-flouro-enduro-200bpm tanks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Three large tubs of the stuff, one road, one xc, and one for stuff that I use for both. Oh and two other smaller tubs full of socks and warmers.

Stuff I use all the time… dhb bibs (the cytech pad is superb), castelli mesh base layers, a lot of Sportful kit (R&D wind jersey, merino socks), roubaix unpadded bib tights (Gore/Rapha), Rapha merino stuff (winter base), a Solo winter jersey gets used a lot, Craft lobster gloves, Eudura road overshoes.

road: a spiralling list of very posh stuff to cover every minutiae of possible weather three times over

^^ 🙂 This does sum it up!

BigDummy
    Free Member

#Enduro: a large number of otherwise on-point outfits which infuriatingly fail to match my helmet or gloves.

🙂

stevied
    Free Member

I’m simple when it comes to biking kit as I don’t really feel the cold. In this weather:

Mavic Crossmax short/liner
    L/S Matalan ‘sports’ t-shirt
    Berghaus Windstopper jacket
    Bridgedale socks
    Mavic Scree boots
    Mamot gloves

If it gets really cold I’ll swap the sports T for an M&S L/S thermal.

philjunior
    Free Member

A lot, some of which (mainly heavily used bibshorts with semi-detached chamois) need throwing out.

I reckon on needing at least 2 of pretty much everything as I commute in all weathers and if it’s horrendously wet I’ll just throw everything in the wash each day, couple of days out of it if not.

Baggy shorts over everything are the only difference for MTB rides (unless it’s dark then no-one really cares)

I used to wear normal clothes for the commute, but now it’s a bit further pedalling gently enough to not get mega sweaty isn’t really practical.

iainc

2 large drawers, split road and mtb. The only items which crossover are DHB Vaeon Roubaix winter bib longs, buffs and baselayers.

MTB stuff is largely Endura and Howies with some Madison

Road stuff largely DHB bibs with tops and jackets from Sportful/Rapha/Castelli

loads of Rapha wool socks, bought at sale time every year 🙂 Baselayers are Craft, Howies and one Helly Warm.

(Also have a separate bag with velodrome kit….)

amedias
    Free Member

I have an absolute boat load of stuff, mix and match according to use and conditions, ~320 days a year on the bike means you need flexibilty and redundancy of kit otherwise I’d be running the washing machine every night!

Some stuff I will only use on road bike, some only on MTB, commuting tends to be a mix of regular clothes, mixed in with occasional cycling specific stuff if conditions dictate.

I do however have 3 pairs of identical SPD shoes with fix-my-wonkyness-inserts in so I use them for all bikes so need multiple pairs to deal with the inevitable drenchings and mud issues.

Likewise with helmets, one road, one MTB, and 2 commuting lids that can double up for either other use if needs be.

Oh, and 3 pairs of identical gloves (with another 3 brand new pairs still in packaging in the box for when needed), plus several very cheap sets of non-bike gloves for commuting when cold as normally I don’t bother gloving up for commutes.

A lot of my clothing is old but decent stuff that I’ve accumulated over the years, no real brand loyalty as there’s a good mix in there, but the cheaper stuff tends to just wear out and fall apart pretty quickly, although PX bib-tights/bib-shorts bought when on offer are brilliant for the amount of money they don’t cost!

Oh yeah, and then there’s my wife’s kit too, more clothing, more gloves, more shoes, and more helmets…

TiRed

Takes up about 1/3 my wardrobe! All hung according to outfit rather than individual garment.

Road:
    3/4 Roubaix bib knicks: Black and club colours (my go-to for most conditions with short or long merino socks)
    Full length roubaix bib tights in black (x2) and club colours
    Bib Shorts 2x club and 1x black
    Assorted jerseys: 2x club and a couple of non-club, also roubaix fleece club for cold weather.
    Jackets: Club wind/showerproof, Also Gabba-like rhzero jacket which I love
    Skinsuit: Club for racing, as one does
    Gilets and coats: club and non-club, windshell and full waterproof Mavic outer.
    Baselayers: long sleeved, short sleeved, no sleeved, and Rab C Nesbit (Castelli)

Off road extras:
    endura humvees normally worn with bib 3/4’s
    specialized shorts always with bib shorts
    Couple of jerseys
    Merino base layers
    Waterproof running jacket

I also have a signed sky WWF Addidas team kit, and don’t get me started on shoes. I do try and cull the clothing, and commute in club and non club kit as the mood/day dictates.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Basically it’s a few summer jerseys, a few base layers and ‘technical’ T-shirts (same ones for hill walking etc.), a couple of pairs of bib shorts, a couple of pairs of bib tights, a windproof gilet, and a windproof jacket. Some combination of those does me for all the weather conditions I ride in, although I don’t road ride in the rain if I can help it! I’ve rarely wanted more than a base layer, a tech T-shirt over that, and a windproof, even in proper cold conditions.

Extra MTB-specific stuff is shoes, a couple of pairs of 3/4 shorts to go over lycra and another windproof with no pockets on the back.

I’ve got a couple of bits of outdoor kit that I use on the bike too as (rarely) needed, like an old Montane Prism and a lightweight eVent waterproof.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

No idea, all i know is that i have a floor/ceiling unit full of stacked/shelved cycling kit, and another moving box in the attic full of old team kit, probably half of it never worn/still bagged. And i wear the same sort of kit (except shoes/helmet) for all disciplines. Only thing that changes what i wear is the weather.

lunge

Huge amounts, most of which doesn’t get used!

Yep. For me, and bear in mind this is thinking on the fly and so I will have forgotten stuff:

Socks – Easily 10 pairs ranging from thick merino to thin summer socks.
    Shorts – I had a purge of these but I reckon there’s still 10 pairs pf lycra bibs including 2 pairs of winter shorts. Only 2 pairs of baggies and those barely get used now. There’s a pair of 3/4 in there as well.
    Tights – 2, thick, heavy things that only get worn in really cold weather.
    Base layers – 15 at last count, from long sleeve thermal jobs to thin sleeveless tops. In fairness I do use the same tops for football and skiing.
    Short sleeve tops – 14 ish again, some Rapha, some Decathlon, oddly my favorite is an ancient Planet-X one. Almost all are road style, I think I have 2 baggy tops.
    Long sleeve tops – 5 I think, some warmer than others, 1 that I wear as a jacket over others. Oh, and a waterproof as well.
    Gillet’s – 5 or so, some cheap, some expensive, they’re worn all year though, I consider them pretty much essential kit.
    Shoes – 4, 2 road, one off road, 1 flat pedal.
    Accessories – 5 x overshoes (pairs), 3 x toe warmers (pairs), 1 x leg warmers (pairs), 3 x knee warmers (pairs), 6 x arm warmers (pairs), lots x gloves (like 20 pairs I think), lots x buffs, 10 ish x caps, 3 x helmets (best, commute and aero), 3 x sunnies (pairs, all with interchangeable lenses).

I think that’s it…maybe.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’ll probably find another forgotten box at some point…..

jekkyl

3 big sports direct bags:
    1 for current conditions clothing (so currently base layers, cycling trousers, jumper, warm gloves & scarfs etc)
    1 for other conditions (so at the moment that holds my summer cycling gear, shorts & trail gloves etc)
    1 for spare stuff (new jerseys that I bought as a bargain, stuff that should really be thrown away but was decent kit, clothing in the wrong size purchased before I put on/lost weight lol)

benp1

I like threads like this, they make me feel normal

My problem is I have a similar problem for other hobbies where the kit acquired is a bit ridiculous

At least I cycle every day so it’s easily justified

dragon
    Free Member

For commuting and road riding nowadays it is mostly DHB kit, although I do love my Sportful NoRain softshell. A mix of Assos/Mavic/DeFeet arm and knee warmers. Helly Hansen baselayers are still my fav despite also having Merino, Canterbury and Craft options. Socks are Endura Baa-Baas in winter and DHB flashlight in summer. Gloves I have one of each of:- track mits, mtb full fingered, windproof full fingered and Winter lobsters (the last almost never get worn as I think it need to be about -5C or less for them not to be too warm).

MTBing I pretty much use combos of above, although I also sometimes just use normal shorts and free synthetic t-shirts.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Also have a seperate bag with velodrome kit

Iainc, at the Emirates…

iainc

PSML at that one nobeer 🙂

although a bit less bright as disnae go with my red bike !

dovebiker

I have a walk-in wardrobe and I change it over every 6-months – the rest of the kit lives in holdalls in the loft! As I’m off to the Arctic in a few weeks, this has now given me the opportunity to invest in ‘deep-winter’ kit 🙂

BillOddie

To echo others…too much!
    Starting at the bottom…
    Winter boots
    2x pairs of race shoes (don’t bother with road shoes)
    Pair of shimano AM45 trail shoes
    More socks than I’d like to mention.
    At least 3 sets of kneewarmers
    At least a couple of pairs of kneepads
    2 sets of “good” shorts (non-bib)
    2 sets of old backup shorts
    Probably 5 pairs of baggies.
    Roubaix bib tights
    Roubaix Bib 3/4s
    Getting on for 10 baselayers of various types and thicknesses.
    couple sets of armwarmers
    4 pairs of summer mtb gloves
    couple of pairs of winter gloves
    (plus a bag of old gloves in the garage)
    5 road type jerseys
    7 or 8 mtb type (ie no back pockets) jerseys
    softshell
    proper grim day out waterproof
    packable emergency waterproof
    windshell with zip off sleeves
    3 helmets Giro Feature, Xar and Atmos

I probably only wear 30% regularly!

tomhoward

It’s much easier to list the things I don’t have

A cycling cap
    A TT helmet
    A skinsuit.
    A neck brace

Got everything else covered I think, usually more than once

Merak

Some of my tops, I’m better now.

rOcKeTdOg

I have a chest of drawers

mrblobby
    Free Member

A cycling cap
    A TT helmet
    A skinsuit.
    A neck brace

3 out of 4 here. Would a back protector count in lieu of a neck brace?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Far too much, but we do have lots of different weather. 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Huge amounts, most of which doesn’t get used! Same for all bikes, except the Brompton, which is just ridden in normal clothes.

As above. Except, baggies and armour on the gnarpoon, not on the gnarmac.

mcnultycop

I have loads and loads and loads. This includes (and my missus counted last week) 17 pairs of gloves.

eshershore
    Free Member

too much clothing to list, but this was my old MTB body armour selection

pictonroad

I have a jersey problem.

I’ve said it in public now, perhaps I can start to deal with it…

gonzy
    Free Member

1 giro hex helmet
    1 giro feature helmet
    1 661 full face helmet
    1 troy lee d2 full face helmet
    1 pair of endura strike/ 1 pair sealskins winter gloves
    1 pair of answer/ 1 pair of bell/ 1 pair of oakley cycling gloves
    several pairs of summer riding socks
    several pairs of winter socks and 1 pair of sealskins
    1 pair of long cycling tights
    1 pair of padded 3/4 cycling tights/shorts
    4 pairs of padded cycling shorts
    3 pairs of baggy cycling shorts
    3 short sleeve base layers
    1 l/s base layer
    5 mid layer cycling shirts
    4 outer layer cycling tops
    1 gilet
    2 summer softshell jackets
    i all season cycling jacket
    i gore tex paclite jacket
    1 gore tex 2 layer winter jacket
    1 661 sub gear l/s padded top
    1 661 pressure suit body armour
    1 pair roach indy knee/shin pads
    i paid spd shoes
    1 pair spd boots
    2 pairs of mtb flat shoes
    several buffs
    1 camelbak havoc

most of this stuff lives in a basket under the bed. other stuff that i probably cant even remember i have is in a large rucksack in the shed.

freeagent
    Free Member

Off the top of my head –

approx. 7 x summer road jerseys
    1 x Winter road jersey
    3-4 x long sleeve MTB tops
    3-4 ‘technical T-Shirt’ MTB Tops
    3 x bib shorts
    2 x Decathlon winter tights
    2 x Nike combat long sleeve compression tops
    2-3 MTB over-Shorts
    Winter MTB jacket
    Winter road soft shell
    2 x gillets
    lightweight road waterproof
    Fox knee pads
    5 x pairs of MTB gloves
    5-6 x pairs of road gloves
    1 x flat MTB Shoes
    2 x Road shoes
    1 x Northwave winter road boots
    Scott road helmet
    Urge MTB helmet
    Oakley Jawbones with 3 x pairs of lenses
    Camelbak

Assorted buffs/caps/socks/other crap I can’t remember.

Bloody hell! – looks like a lot when you write it all down!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Cycling wardrobe: what do you have?’ is closed to new replies.