• This topic has 62 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Cycling caps. Wear one
  • Northwind

Acceptable only if you are in Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I wear one under my lid for all the same reasons EdHornby lists.

But only on the road bike

fasthaggis

Wrongers^^

Ok for street basketball(if you can jump) 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Definitely time for this…

How To Wear A Cycling Cap

fasthaggis

Mr B

Everyone ends up looking like Norman 😉

prawny

I wear one most of the time on my road bike. Keeps the rain off my glasses, sweat out of my eyes, and bees off my head.

The peaks are generally narrower than helmet peaks so one eye can always see round it, and I don’t notice any issues with my neck (my position is pretty agressive too).

I’ve got a few cheap cotton ones, normally old team issue ones for less than a fiver a pop, they get pretty manky commuting 5 days a week so I don’t keep them for too long.

I’ve got one of these for the winter,

but it’s reserved for really cold days as it’s very warm. If it’s just pretty cold I’ve got a buff I cut into three shorter buffs to keep the chill off my ears.

akira

That article taught me one thing, Phil Anderson was in the Matrix films.

DezB
    Free Member

is that a finger buffet, or a full setting ?

😆 !! Almost as funny as someone wearing one of those caps.

iainc

^^^ I thank you 🙂 It isn’t often scotroutes slips up, so when he does we must make hay 🙂

mrchrispy

love a bit of cap action but I sweat like a fat lass in a disco so summer capage has been reduced, normal service will resume in September

zilog6128

Also never understood why they are always cotton – we don’t wear cotton clothes elsewhere when cycling.

Actually the cheap Castelli one I bought isn’t (that’s the other reason I chose it!) It’s a wicking material same as a modern jersey would be made from. Much better in the summer!

buckster
    Free Member

Red silk bandana for me

scotroutes

iainc – Member
    ^^^ I thank you It isn’t often scotroutes slips up, so when he does we must make hay

Meh – you’re just not paying enough attention.

butcher

What is the benefit of them? Serious question, loads in our club wear them but I’m slightly embarrassed to question their choice face to face

Rain is the main one, which is why you’ll see half the pro peloton wearing them on the not so nice days during the spring classics. In winter, when you get those days out in the hills, with icy cold, sideways rain – the kind that pretty much feels like someone is throwing darts at your face….they’re invaluable. They offer a surprising amount of protection from the elements.

The other benefits are not so obvious, like protection from the sun. But if you wear one, you’ll notice when it’s not there, when you go to flip your peak…

mooman
    Free Member

jonba – Member

Never understood people wearing them in warmer weather, my head would cook. I noticed Bertie wearing one with the top cut off to create a peaked headband. I assume this keeps out the sun/rain but doesn’t keep you warm.
    Also never understood why they are always cotton – we don’t wear cotton clothes elsewhere when cycling.

It’s all about the luft; a proper luft, and the head remains cool. A wrong fitting cap, with no luft, your head will overheat.
    And cotton helps retain the luft shape … and like cotton socks over synthetic, it just works.

slowoldman

I think I’ve got an old Fagor one somewhere.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s all about the luft; a proper luft, and the head remains cool.

Is indeed, but then a helmet plonked on top kills it.

biglee1

Ah, fellow cap wearers, I’m glad I’m not alone 😀 I only got a Castelli one as it’s big enough for my melon head and is thin enough to fit under my Mavic helmet

medoramas
    Free Member

I like clothing that has a defined purpose: waterproof jacket, wickable base layer, protective gloves… A cap like that is an advertisement gadget, can’t find a purpose for it. When it’s cold its the ears that suffer most, not the hair! 8)

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I wear mine in hot weather, in fact when I climbed the Forclaz a few weeks ago to watch the TDF it was 40.9 degrees average temperature and I had my cap on.

Why? Cos the sweat running off me was unbelievable and if that runs into my eyes which it often used to pre-cap wear, it stings like buggery, especially as I’m wearing contact lenses too.

It also prevent the sun shining in my eyes.

It was wringing wet when I got to the top but it did the job.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1275406186

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

biglee1 – Member
    Ah, fellow cap wearers, I’m glad I’m not alone I only got a Castelli one as it’s big enough for my melon head and is thin enough to fit under my Mavic helmet

Large head here too and yes, Castelli is one of the few brands that fits me.

INRNG do a nice line in cheap caps too with a large option available and I used to wear one of those until the peak bent

Supporter Jerseys, Caps and Socks

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve never tried one but I’ve just ordered a Walz one after finding out in this thread they do a larger size. In a few days I fully expect to have my life changed forever.

TiRed

Synthetic cap in club colours. FHHV in cotton. Worn under normal road helmet but not aero helmet. Keeps sun off, sweat out of my eyes and rain off if I’ve remembered to wear it. I don’t fold it back to show the club initials.

I also find that to make the fit properly I can’t just pull them on. I like to roll them over at the back so they don’t sit quite as low. Anybody else do this?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Cycling caps. Wear one’ is closed to new replies.