Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cycle touring: Any way of loading an On-One 26er fork
  • Olly
    Free Member

we are doing a little cycle tour in 2 weeks, my first. Scary stuff!

ive got a sexy rear pannier rack, and pannier bags sorted, but i hear for road touring having all your load over the back end isnt sensible (and Euro style is to have up to 70% weight over the front)

is there any known way of putting kit onto a standard On One steel fork?

i dont think it has any rack mounts, the only bolt holes available are the four for the canti bosses.

Im thinking of bolting some modified bottle cages onto the canti boss bolt holes and storing the heaviest stuff in them, they are for holding on brakes so should be sturdy enough!
    its that, or jubilee clips i figure!

any other suggestions?

any crafty bodges out there?

Olly
    Free Member

ding dong. that would work.

als found these:

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/FrontRacks.html

though bit pricier.
    wonder if i could “arrange” something similar, there is shed loads of room left on the QR i have (XL one for some reason)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

look at tubus stuff as well

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I had mine modified with extra bottle bosses (salsa fargo style) since there is only 1 set on the frame, to carry more water and put a little weight up front

not actually got round to going anywhere yet though 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

Out of interest, why not put all the weight over the back? I’ve been touring a few times now with just rear panniers and had no problems. IN fact, the only time I’ve had problems road touring is when I loaded up the front. With just a bar bag on the bike felt unwieldy and difficult to manage. Especially when off the bike. Offroad it was a liability.

Olly
    Free Member

in all honesty samurai. its just internet research. ive yet to ride a loaded bike at all!

similar to that restless native, ive just had a root around in my spare box, and found some cheap bottle racks, where by the bolt mounts are plastic, cast onto the alloy frame.
    this means that 5 mm bolts could be “persuaded” through the 4mm holes, and the lower bolt hole slides up and down.

ladies and gentlemen, i give you my bodge of the day

maybe a lick of paint is required, as they came off my first MTB back in the early 90s, but they work 🙂

RestlessNative
    Free Member

cool!

Olly
    Free Member

No clearance for fat tyres, but for off road will use a sussp fork.

fourbanger
    Free Member

If you can’t get everything in 2 panniers, you’re carrying too much!
    Light weight is the way to go. This summer I’m hoping to get my entire kit, for camping, in a 7 litre bar bag and a 5 litre saddle pack.
    Before this I toured with just rear panniers and had no problems.

Olly
    Free Member

Bit of a balancing act, riding from Geneva to genoa via that highest alps road pass, so will need a certain amount of stuff, inc tent etc, but with climbing like that, the lighter the better! ALready looking into rigging up a handle bar bag from bits I already have for the most dense stuff. tools etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cycle touring: Any way of loading an On-One 26er fork’ is closed to new replies.