Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cutting sleepers.
  • zippykona

The thought of sawing them by hand is keeping me awake at night.
    What powered ,safe, idiot proof method can you recommend?

dirkpitt74

Chainsaw and a bucket of something to clean the tar off the chain (if they’re proper reclaimed sleepers).

Rubber-Duck

Depending on what you are using them for will determine how you cut them. I have built lots of retaining walls with them and depending upon what finish I require or the accuracy of the cut I have used a circular saw or chain saw. Always check for any bits of metal or clips imbedded in the wood before you cut.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Chainsaw.. and i can highly recommend a stihl easyfile to keep it sharp

Houns

If they are reclaimed proper railway sleepers then I’d say don’t do it.

I had to help cut 30 of them once, the dust/tar was awful and the bits of lead hidden in them were a nightmare. We had 4 big chainsaws that we swapped after making one cut, each chain would be blunt after a cut so we had one person continually sharpening the chains as we cycled through the saws, we got through a few chains too due to them hitting aforementioned hidden bits of metal

Absolute nightmare, avoid at all costs

finephilly
    Free Member

Chainsaw, good luck if you have some hardwood like Iroko or Jarrah.

jimdubleyou

Conversely, if you’re buying the green wood landscaping jobbies from wickes or the like, an extra-long jigsaw blade will be sufficient.

timbog160

As above proper reclaimed sleepers are a nightmare. If they’re not covered in 100 years of highly toxic substances then a chainsaw is best, but circular saw is (slightly) more idiot proof. How big an idiot are you? 😀

timbog160

I’ve just had to cut and sand some Iroko funnily enough – man that stuff is hard!!

Houns

If you really have to cut old sleepers then I recommend wearing a boiler suit and all in one face mask/goggles

timbog160

Lovely wood though – I had a bit left over so made a base for my new wheel truing stand.

TheDTs
    Free Member

+1 What Houns said. Old ones should be treated as hazardous waste and shouldn’t be used. They shouldn’t be sold afaik.
    You know where the loo on old trains used to drain right?
    + all of the old fuel, soot, grease, oil, squashed people etc. etc..

New ones, chainsaw, circular saw (cut from both sides), reciprocating (Sabre) saw.

Houns

Yep they really shouldn’t be sold, In hindsight I wish I refused to do them. You can see some of them here, each sleeper had to be cut to length (no we couldn’t just cut in half 🙄 ) then in half with the 45 degree angle, then routed so the signs could slip in.

project
    Free Member

Many years ago knew a chap who worked in the depot where they assemnbled points and crossings for BR, and he said cutting them was a nightmare as all sorts of stuff was ingrained into them, over the years, and when burnt they also spit out nasty contaminents, so all the offcuts went to landfill.

haloric
    Free Member

Also be aware of dust, get masked up, depending on where you source them – the ones I got from a reclaim yard many years ago were yellow when cut.

This turns out to be because they were Russian in origin, and had been impregnated with something foul to prevent decay/mold/whatever.

Merak

Beware the depth of your circular saw. If it gets stuck it’ll kick when you least expect it and much like a swan, it’ll break your arm. (Probably not)

Just concentrate and hold on tight.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well this is how I did it…

zippykona

They are new soft wood sleepers.

dyna-ti

What powered ,safe, idiot proof method can you recommend?

Chainsaw

Er….. safe ??. hardly 😯

Handsaw, just make sure it’s sharp and you’ll be fine.
    Some folk spend hundreds of pounds on gym memberships or go off on sporty jaunts and all you need is several sleepers and a hand saw.

footflaps

Festool chainsaw

timbog160

New and softwood – if you have less than say half a dozen and a decent saw I’d be tempted to do by hand – nice bit of exercise for a Saturday morning!

jamiemcf

The OP question has been answered, but

You know they still do that!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I did a lot recently, angled cuts and full length cuts. I started with a small circular saw and ended up with a big one. Horrible, horrible thing. One of the scariest things I’ve ever used, it felt like tickling satans balls every time I fired it up. I had a couple of bad kicks and the power was crazy. The chainsaw is a piece of cake in comparison, it doesn’t feel dangerous at all as long as you respect it. If you go circular saw then I found out that there is a lot of advice online which helped tame it a bit. Still scared me though.

ctk
    Free Member

Been chopping some today. Circular saw from both sides.

RustyNissanPrairie

A slight aside but I’ve noticed East Lancs Railway (for anyone in Rossendale) are removing loads of old original wooden sleepers and replacing with modern concrete ones.

timbog160

I try to always be afraid when using power cutting tools – it helps keep me sharp, if you’ll pardon the pun…!

leffeboy

May I suggest…..

TheDTs
    Free Member

Jamiemcf, no I didn’t. I assumed things had progressed. Glad I’m not a network rail employee.

timber

Got a stack of last sharpen chains for cutting rubbish.

If they are modern garden supply sleepers, I know the high volume species they buy, so a plasterboard saw will probably do 😆

zippykona

What is the world’s most powerful hand saw?

joshvegas
    Free Member

As far as i am aware there are still bits and pieces that discharge straight to track. Railtracks are a weird greasy place to walk.

Rule one when we are doing bridge inspections. If you hear a train coming don’t be underneath.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cutting sleepers.’ is closed to new replies.