Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Culture Corner – anyone been to any good exhibitions lately then?
  • binners

I’ve been slacking of late. Mainly as there was never anything that really took my fancy. Either I’m getting too old or art is generally getting too ****. I suspect half-way between those two statements is about right.

But I went to see this one on Saturday at the Lowry:

http://www.thelowry.com/event/mister-sixties

Philip Townsend’s Portraits of a Decade. Some absolutely iconic photography. Fantastic. Well worth a visit if you happen to be in the vicinity.

Whats the last exhibition that you really enjoyed then? And is it still on? Where? I fancy a bit more culcha 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m an artist, I make a living from drawing portraits, pets, prized cars etc.., but my heart of heart lies in printmaking.

Going to check out the lowry next week.

skidartist
    Free Member

I fancy checking out the David Nash exhibition at Yorkshire Sculpture Park

CountZero

Last was the RA Summer Exhibition. Really like the look of the new installation in the Tate Modern Turbine Hall. 100 million handmade and painted porcelain sunflower seeds all over the floor that you can walk on. Looks amazing. I love that sort of stuff, like Gormley’s installations.

BillMC

Saw the Marina Abramovic action art exhibition in MOMA at Easter, she’s now doing something in London. Interesting.

vdubber67
    Free Member

skidartist – Member

I fancy checking out the David Nash exhibition at Yorkshire Sculpture Park ooh that looks ace!

Always something cool on at Notts Contemporary

Divagirl
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Last was the RA Summer Exhibition.

me too. Did you buy anything CountZero?

binners

skidartist – I saw one of David Nash’s exhibitions when I was doing my foundation course (in about 1923) and was really impressed with it then. That looks fantastic though!

tails
    Free Member

picasso at the gagosian. He always raises a smile, would love to have his passion.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Aero Engineering 2010 at the NEC the other week, does that count?

skidartist
    Free Member

skidartist – I saw one of David Nash’s exhibitions when I was doing my foundation course

When I was a student I was driving through Wales, passed an old chapel and thought ‘that looks like David Nash’s studio’ (i’d seen a picture in a catalogue – the picture looks like a freeze frame of a church about to be engulfed by an avalanche of slate and thats how it looks in life, there is this huge slate spoil heap that seems to spring straight from the back door of the church and looks too steep to possibly be stable) so I went and knocked on the door… and it was. For some baffling reason (to him as much as me) he let us in – a big old church literally packed wall to wall with his work (bits even poking through the roof) with just a narrow isle to squeeze down the middle between them. He makes a nice cuppa.

Haven’t had a chance to see anything of his for years and years though. I’ve got a wee bit of work to do at the Great Northern Craft Fair in Manc next week so I might try go see it on the way there or way back.

hels
    Free Member

Lewis Chessmen at Museum of Scotland. Now on tour to Aberdeen and the Islands.

Before that, the Henry Moore Gardens somewhere near Oxford. Not to be confused with the Roger Moore Gardens, quite a different experience.

stever
    Free Member

I enjoyed Henry Iddon’s long exposure photos of the Lakes at night. Low key stuff. Gone from the Brindley, Runcorn but may be touring?

skidartist
    Free Member

Not to be confused with the Roger Moore Gardens, quite a different experience.

bit wooden?

nickjb
    Free Member

The map exhibition at the British Library is really good. A mixture of art and history.

roper
    Free Member

The most recent work I have seen is by a friend of mine called Juan Gómez Macías This is him

http://vientoilusorio2008.blogspot.com/

catflees46 Do you have a link to your work? I would love to see it.

mossimus
    Free Member

The East London photography festival is on at the moment, an exhibition of cycling photos opens on Saturday at 49 Old Street.

binners

Skidartist – what are you doing at the Craft Fair? I’ve recently designed some promotional bumph for it. May well pop down and have a look. There should be some interesting stuff

When we went to the Philip Townsend exhibition on Saturday, he was there signing his books.We had a good chin-wag with him and he was lovely. He told us some right rum stories!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

picasso, peace and freedom is good at the liverpool tate

skidartist
    Free Member

Just some transport work, bringing a bunch of exhibitors work to the show then taking them all away afterwards, so I might not actually see the fair itself at all if I go to YSP on the Sunday.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Culture Corner – anyone been to any good exhibitions lately then?’ is closed to new replies.