Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cube stereo pivot bearings
  • andykellybfc
    Free Member

Iv got a 2019 cube stereo and pivor bearings need changing can I replace them without buying all these expensive bearing tool presses? Also how hard of a job is it to do can the bearings just be tapped out

boris
    Free Member

I changed my Stereo bearings myself, for removal I used a bearing slide hammer style puller but some wouldn’t shift so I had to resort to various drifts and extension bars with a wooden mallet for those – just make sure you’re hitting them square on and not on a the wonk.

I do have bearing presses of various styles but some of the bearings on the stereo I fitted with g clamps or my vice and sockets – just make sure you’re pressing on the outer races, not the cage and that everything is square when fitting and you’ll be fine – it shouldn’t take a huge amount of force to seat the bearings so go slow and steady.

boris
    Free Member

Also, the better bearings you replace with the less often you’ll have to change them 🙂

I used Enduro MAX ones and they’re still going strong after 18months of all weather use.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

You sure it’s all of them? The main pivot bearings usually go first and make horrible creaking sounds like a knackered bottom bracket. The rest of the linkage bearings usually last a lot longer!

Will save you a lot of time and effort if it’s only the mains that need doing, the other bearings can go for years before needing doing!

andykellybfc
    Free Member

Okay thanks guys yes it’s the main ones at the bottom near the crank arm that need replacing

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Just do them then and replace with SKF bearings (or other decent ones) about 3-4 quid a piece, job jobbed! On mine I can do it without taking any other bits of the bike apart. It takes me about ten minutes, then good as new!

andykellybfc
    Free Member

What do you use to take the bearings out and fit the new ones chestercopperpot?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Assuming your’s are the same, with the bearings in the chainstays. To get them out I use some sockets, nuts & bolts, circular shims/washers I’ve accumulated over the years + a punch, hammer and block of wood where there’s an awkward taper! Can’t remember the sizes off the top of my head, I’d have to go and have a look in my toolbox!

To get them back in I use the same nuts and bolts, but use the old bearings with washers behind them to push the new bearings all the way home.

Edit: Removing the back wheel and letting all the air out of your shock helps manoeuvring the chainstays about so you can get at the bearings!

andykellybfc
    Free Member

Okay thanks for that

reggiegasket
    Free Member

My Stereo is an earlier model (2015ish) but I suspect it’ll be a similar process. I’ve replaced the bearings three or four times now, so I’m getting fairly slick with it.

Once you have the back end off and all the stays as separate pieces then getting the bearings out is usually best dome with a socket/drift and a vice to push them out.

I have a dedicated bearing press (Wheels Mfg) which is a great tool but you should be okay with just the sockets + vice. Just support the stay carefully and line everything up then either push out or push in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cube stereo pivot bearings’ is closed to new replies.