• This topic has 56 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Crib Goch. How hard is it?
  • martinhutch

Ending your day out in the hills with your face nestled in the crotch of an RAF winchman. Always the best feeling. 🙂

I can understand why even a ‘climber’ might suddenly lose their nerve on a solo of a grade 3 scramble, though. When the soloing mental bubble bursts, you can be as helpless as anyone else.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

This link might be useful?

This link may not…

bullandbladder
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, just take it easy. You’re never tiptoeing across a knife edge in reality ( unless you choose to). As said above, the trickiest bit is getting through the pinnacles after the narrow part. Best done on a clear day so you get the full benefit of the exposure. And do, if time allows, carry on round the other side (Lliwedd) to complete the full Horseshoe. Brilliant route. If high wind is forecast, leave it for another day. Tryfan N ridge followed by Bristly Ridge onto the Glyders is just as good, just less exposed.

CountZero

However parts of it are very exposed with big drops below so if you dont like heights then possibly best avoided and likewise avoid in bad weather.

And having looked at the photos that’s confirmed it, absolutely no way, José! 🤢

whitestone
    Free Member

On a fine still summer’s day it’s fine. Completely different when it’s wet and blowing a hoolie.

When we lived in Llanrug (between Llanberis and Caernarfon) I used to take our black lab round the Snowdon Horseshoe with no problem – then again he had four paw drive!

matt_outandabout

And having looked at the photos that’s confirmed it, absolutely no way, José! 🤢

Could be worse…
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/matt_outandabout/2M5m6c

Spin
    Free Member

Could be worse…
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/matt_outandabout/2M5m6c

The Aonach Eagach is another one that gets a bit more sketchy in the wet. First time I did the Glen Coe Skyline I got through the exposed scrambly bits before the rain hit and everyone behind me took about twice as long!

sirromj

Honestly thought this thread was going to be about a hipster re-imaginating of the game of cribbage.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Spin – only done the Aonach Eagach once and that was in winter, either 1985 or 1986. We had a Brocken Spectre for almost the entire length of the ridge, quite magical.

Spin
    Free Member

Never done it in proper winter nick but sure I will at some point!

nixie

Nothing to add on the original question but learning about ‘Brocken Spectre’ and ‘verglassed’ was worth reading it on its own.

BadlyWiredDog

Absolutely do not do the Clogwyn-y-person arete, it’s a grade3 scramble

Just so it’s clear, I wasn’t suggesting that the OP even think about that, it was more for the benefit of anyone who climbs and fancies a more interesting start to the day.

LardLover
    Free Member

I wouldn’t even give a grade 3 scramble a second look…….grade 1 is my absolute limit….sometimes more than my limit!

🙂

footflaps

Never done it in proper winter nick but sure I will at some point!

I’ve only ever done it in winter, it’s fairly straightforward, only technical bit IIRC is the descent from the far end, or if you do it from the Glen Coe end it’s an easy ascent even covered in snow.

Certainly not in the same league as the harder ridges eg Tower Ridge, although when we did that it was the reputation of the route rather than the actual route that we feared more.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

CG is walking on a knife edge with no banister, so different.

Not really. If you’re not confident enough to stroll along the top with your hands in your pockets then (assuming you are on the way up to Snowdon) just drop down a couple of feet to your left and use the top of the ridge as a handrail.

About half way across you will see a narrow flat slab. This is where it is customary to do a head stand if you are confident/stupid enough.

Spin
    Free Member

Certainly not in the same league as the harder ridges eg Tower Ridge

There’s about 50m in the middle of TR that I haven’t done in winter. I’ve gone down it from the top of Italian RH and up it from the top of Stringfellow. 🙂 No doubt I’ll fill that gap at some point!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Crib Goch. How hard is it?’ is closed to new replies.