Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 946 total)
  • CRC security issues?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh and just in case it is a virus can anybody recommend any anti key logging software?

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Chain reaction have just called me and assured me there web service is secure.
    This may be true but they would not rule out an employee taking card details.

So basically sorry but tough!

Won’t be shopping with them again unless they send another voucher and then I will use pay pal.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

My card was done also. Ordered last week.

This morning 3 purchases for 02 mobile top ups tried to be put through on my card for different amounts!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I expect they can’t say anything ATM even if they are or wanted to (which like Wiggle they are unlikely to) if the police are involved?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You can put lots of Security in place , but most of the time it will be an insider. Last company I worked at sacked a total of 4 people over 12 month period despite constant IT security updates and procedures.

wwaswas

most likely scenario is that there’s code been ‘introduced’ to their servers that trapped card details before they were passed through to the card auth company – they won’t store them locally but they will be in memory briefly.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

And you will find the police won’t have much to do with it. It’s the CC company’s problem.

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Everyone except disgruntled cardholders seem to be waiting for someone else to do something.

Most of the fraud on my card was online orders we must have an address?

I know the police have allot to do, they must have the overtime they claim, but come on!

Shred
    Free Member

Why would the police not be interested? It is fraud and theft.

wwaswas

in my case because tyhe card company refunded when I was victim of this I hadn’t suffered a loss and therefore wasn’t the victim of a crime.

CRC are unlikely to want to involve police due to adverse publicity

Card company have suffered no loss as they pass the chargeback onto CRC who take on the chin and hope everyone keeps spending money with them.

so the ‘victim’ – CRC – just writes off the cash and puts some better security in.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its not likey to feature in crime report / statistic, unless CRC ring the police – you wont as you will be refunded by the card company, who in turn will get the money from CRC.

CRC in turn will incure a cost which they then pass on to customers in the end.

The amount lost due to card fraud is massive, it ultimatly gets passed back to the retailer who passes it on to us in the end.

woodsman
    Free Member

Bollox! used them this morning before reading this, not had a problem before [crosses fingers]

Cheers for the heads up

peasant
    Free Member

I was buying new frame today (not crc) and my card was turned down ,so had to pay with another card ,phoned credit card company they said someone has been trying to order expensive flight,s and stopped it,and where was my last purchase ? crc nuff said

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, another here. Only just opened the thread and checked the account – sure enough £15 O2 prepay (Slough) 🙁 . Cards being cancelled as I type 👿

Hey, look on the bright side – at least I can’t buy any more frames.

bigjim

This happens every day to hundreds of people – the cops aren’t going to drop their donuts to investigate and the banks just take the hit. The Shell garages around Edinburgh had the same thing a few years back, resulting in all my money being drained from my account on a fake card in the US, but Shell just issued the usual statement.

Won’t be shopping with them again unless they send another voucher

Love that 😆

bland

The police wont look into CC fraud if its under £5K (from a copper) and similarly wont investigate a bike theft if it happens while a big footy match is on.

Be careful in gyms too for what its worth, had my CC nicked from my wallet twice in Virgin Gym, Leeds without my knowledge.

Its dead easy if you fancy getting into it, just lock the locker with dirty socks in, keep key, then when its been replaced go and help yourself to the contents, carkeys, dirty boxxers etc.

They didnt seem to care that they had such a lax system in place. I cancelled my membership soon after and never left anything in the locker again

doodleuk
    Free Member

I havent been very impressed with CRC over this but upon checking my bank tonight im beyond furious. Basically the other week i placed an order with CRC and shortly after i had a call from my bank to say there are some suspicious transactions. This was about a couple of weeks ago so new card and pin sent etc and money refunded. Obviously i didnt know how this had happened but i dont use my card in that many places so when i read all these stories this weekend and the past few days it got me thinking about my CRC purchase just before my details were taken. Over the past few days i have spoken to a senior member of the CRC customer service team just to let them know about this forum topic and other similar ones and about my experience the other week (which is probably linked). Despite all this she remainded adamant that there is no issue and the website is 100% secure etc. etc. but i informed her about the obvious link for so many people on here and the FB page. She said although there is no immediate issue they will investigate each case etc. but basically it aint them 😮

Now i was content with this as i resolved my problems in the last few weeks but unfortunately last week i placed an order (with my new card) to use the £10 voucher (before i knew all of this and the link to CRC) so i check my account tonight (after reading all these cases) and see that there are 2 new payments to O2 😯
    I can assure you i will be speaking to them again tomorrow now that i have been stung possibly for the second time (because of them) which i wish could have been avoided but i guess we have all discovered this link to CRC too late.

Really all i can say now is what i said to customer services today, until they can confirm there are no more of these cases and all this dies down (and doesnt re-appear in the future) i will not have the confidence to order from them again and hope everyone else feels the same (as they should IMO).
    I also congratulate you if you managed to read all of the above 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Send this and other threads to a couple of newspapers and see who picks it up.
    Sure they will.

Clink

Send this and other threads to a couple of newspapers and see who picks it up.
    Sure they will

Good idea – CRC don’t seem to be listening.

anc
    Free Member

They’ll start listening when the orders stop coming in. They’re in the process of denial so to save the companies good reputation which let’s not forget is beyond our shores. TBO I feel sorry for them at the moment because there between a rock and a hard place. Denial and hoping it blows over may work but it could also backfire as it breeds mistrust in there customer base. I for one won’t use them again unless I believe the problem has been sorted like many thousands of others out there and that’s gonna hurt.

enfht
    Free Member

they need to report it to remain compliant (I believe), if they dont then whos to say its not “officially” sanctioned theft (which I doubt) most likely they still need to establish the facts so arent admitting anything. 2 weeks is far too long though imo

ditch_jockey

Thanks for the heads up – I’m about to buy a new set of wheels, but I’ll be avoiding CRC as an option.

IainFP
    Free Member

Yet another potential victim! Bought some bits last week and the bank contacted me yesterday to say they had blocked O2 prepay and 2 other transactions.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Glad I read this. I used a CRC voucher last week.

Just checked bank and there are 2 £15 O2 pre payments taken from my account!!!

MM

neninja
    Free Member

Chatting to a friend last night he commented on how he’d had to cancel his card due to unauthorised transactions.

He’s only used that card 4 times in the previous few weeks – guess who he’d used it with twice? CRC

I told him about this thread and he was less than impressed. He’d phoned CRC that day to ask about their security and they claimed no other customers had suffered similar problems.

I for one won’t be using CRC for the foreseeable future.

Slacks
    Free Member

Damn it, I’ve been done as well. Could be a coincidence, used CRC on the 2nd, two payments to 02 prepay on the 7th.

Does seem like a lot of coincidences. Where is my pitchfork?

emkay
    Free Member

lush cosmetics recently did the right thing by its customers and notified them after their web site was hacked, unfortunatley it still made headline news –

bbc news

interesting to see how the story initially unfolded and the problem came to light by customers posting on their forum –

lush forum

on a slightly different note, does anyone know of a bank offering a credit card that texts your mobile for authorisation for every transaction ?

cheers!

Trimix
    Free Member

Perhaps we should revert back to paying for stuff with cheques, you could order it on CRC, they send you an invoice, you pay it with a cheque.

No security issues there – unless there is a postman who changes his name to CRC.

I used them the otherday – no fraud on my account so far though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Last time I used chainreactioncycles was last year. Used paypal as it just seemed easier.

It appears it was more secure.

wwaswas

I have emailed ‘singletrack’ about this but one thing I do feel that magazines don’t do is champion ‘consumer rights’ in any way.

They clearly have a difficult path to tread between keeping advertisers happy and their readership informed but I can’t help thinking that there is enough anecdotal evidence here (I haven’t checked any other forums) to at least contact CRC and ask them for a comment to appear somewhere on the site and also to talk to banks and acquirers to understand if there is a pattern in an increase in fraud and CRC purchases being made. The banks have enough info here to make the connection, even if CRC chose to deny it – the issue is that the banks have no financial gain to be made from doing the work – the loss is all CRC’s/O2’s etc.

CRC, as a web only business, have to understand that confidence in their processes is key and that by saying nothing the problem won’t go away – just fester.

Tbh, I’m surprised they haven’t gone down the Wiggle route of waving lawyers at stw and having this thread pulled – it must be embarassing, to say the least, to have this thread on a forum they sponsor.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Lloyds will text on every non uk transaction.
    They also called shortly after they blocked 3 payments on my account to check for fraud. Answered, called them back as requested for security and they cancelled the card.

toons
    Free Member

Just checked my credit card, 4 fraudulent transactions after using it with CRC and the £10 voucher!!!

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Its strange how CRC have still not issued a statment and are still saying that there system is secure…

I only used CRC on this occasion as they offered the voucher, and I needed just over £50 worth of stuff

I switched to ukbikestore after CRC messed me about re some bars, a few months ago. Prices are similar and service equaly as good. I will be staying with them for future bike parts.

psychle
    Free Member

Did everyone who has been scammed click through the link on the email?

wwaswas

no, some people just went to the site as normal they said.

bigjim

I do actually want to buy something from CRC but am too hesitant now! Anyone else know of AM41’s going for a comparable price…

JCornford

I went in normally (I think).

I have rung MBNA and informed their frued department that I believe this is the the source of the fraud and they are looking into. This will be my second card that needs replacing this year!

ojom
    Free Member

jim what size you after? we got a random set in…

RudiBoy
    Free Member

psychle….

no some people just used CRC last week

peajay

I shopped direct of the site, no link or voucher used and I got stung,
    PJ.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 946 total)

The topic ‘CRC security issues?’ is closed to new replies.