Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Crash
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Hit a sharp speedbump on the road bike, 20mph or so. Didn’t see it, knocked the bar out of my hands, tried to steer with my chest for a bit but it didn’t work.

I was rather cross. Ripped shorts, plenty of road rash. I honestly can’t remember the last time I crashed on road.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nasty. There’s a couple of speed bumps on a road I sometimes take on my commute that are unmarked, no chevrons or anything, just plain tarmac lumps. I have wobbled on them more than once, and wonder if they should be marked?.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Oh dear, cling film the RR to stop it sticking to your clothes, tea and sympathy, and e45 for the scabs.

pedlad

Sympathies – I binned mine on the gravel that cars push to the side on a lane at bends a couple weeks ago – hurts like a bugger for a few days then a week trying to avoid catching (or picking) the scabs!

molgrips
    Free Member

I also forgot my pants again, so I am wearing scuffed up cycling shorts. Actually helps a bit, by keeping my work trousers off one of the abrasions.

It’s drying out reasonably well now, doesn’t seem to be bad enough to stick.

I never normally put anything on road rash, being a man and all – is there a benefit to E45 or similar?

I binned mine on the gravel that cars push to the side on a lane at bends a couple weeks ago

Almost did that earlier in the ride too – small two wheel slide on the road bike 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I think the healthcare professional you really need to see might be an optometrist ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

😥 get well soon

Northwind

Ouch… If you can find some easily, tegaderm is good on (clean) roadrash ime- helps it heal faster but also is much more comfortable while it heals, it’s basically like a plastic skin. (I am not a doctor but I’ve used it with much success)

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the healthcare professional you really need to see might be an optometrist ?

First port of call would be the council.. no need for speed bumps to be so abrput they chuck you off your bike. In the US they do nice transitions into the bump – you don’t get a hit when you go over them in the car but they still buck you up in the air if you go too fast.

bigyinn
    Free Member

This place is slipping, no MTFU in the first 5 comments? Shameful.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Well I had a comedy crash this morning. Had dropped the kids off at school and decided to take shortcut across a field – didn’t see a hole in the ground – front wheel dropped into it and over the bars I sailed. In front of a load of people too. And I was riding a folding bike. Couldn’t get up for laughing.

everyone
    Free Member

That’s what you get for riding a folding bike surely?

zilog6128

It’s drying out reasonably well now, doesn’t seem to be bad enough to stick.

I never normally put anything on road rash, being a man and all – is there a benefit to E45 or similar?The nurse I saw about my road rash after my crash said current thinking is to keep it moist as this promotes healing. You can get fancy & expensive stuff like Tegaderm but just slathering on vaseline works just as well apparently (optionally wrapping with cling film to keep the mess down).

Of course if it’s not bad enough to be weeping then you probably don’t need to bother (and it’s not proper road rash!)

molgrips
    Free Member

WML I did similar once many years ago on a deserted pedestrian street in Cardiff. Front wheel (MTB with slicks) disappeared into a narrow drainage slot, bars dropped 18″ and the bike stopped dead. I continued through the air wondering where the f my bike had gone. The nice woman who ran over to help was very concerned, I was laughing at the comedy moment.

Of course if it’s not bad enough to be weeping then you probably don’t need to bother

Just checked in the lav, it is weeping a bit but I cba to walk over to the pharmacy.. I’ve always just left it heal on its own.

mrchrispy

come on fess up, you went for some air of a speed bump and binned the landing. your amongst friends, you can tell us.

molgrips
    Free Member

Superman would be more like it 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Damn. Crusty trousers now.

saxabar
    Free Member

Sincere hip felt sympathies!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got to ride 20 miles home too.. and I was planning to ride in again tomorrow 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

This thread’s useless without pics – so here’s mine from last year…

The E45 on the scab stops the itching and scarring. Up to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine looks basically like that, but my carpet’s way dirtier.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Crash’ is closed to new replies.