Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cranks into a clock?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Rather than taking silly money for some XX1 cranks, I was thinking of changing them into a clock. Has anyone done this? Is it trickier with them being carbon? I’d imagine I’s need a strong mechanism as the arms are a bit heavier than normal clock arms? I don’t suppose there is a “how-to” anywhere?

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there something wrong with them?

wrecker
    Free Member

No! I’d just rather make something nice than sell them for silly money.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m sure any gcse student would be able to help.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks for your input.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Are you sure you wouldn’t prefer a bit of cash-money instead of a well ugly clock??

crazy-legs

Something like this?

Or something where the cranks themselves are the hour/minute hands?

wrecker
    Free Member

Think I’d like to have the arms as the hands…..if that makes sense!
    It would take some doing though, hence the question.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would imagine the mechanism would need to be fairly substantial and will probably need modifying to attach to a crank. Another problem is both arms are the same length whereas clock hands are different lengths. Would you have both arms facing the same way?
    Sounds like an interesting project.

orangespyderman

Are you sure you wouldn’t prefer a bit of cash-money instead of a well ugly clock??

This. Are you sure it wouldn’t look just “wrong” most of the time. (apart from 6:00, 9:15, 12:30 etc etc, you get the idea, right?)

wrecker
    Free Member

Hmmm.

jekkyl

you could just buy a clock?

orangespyderman

you could just buy a clock?

With the money from the cranks.

wrecker
    Free Member

😀

devash
    Free Member

[cranks] ===> [money]

[cranks] + [own money] + [own time} = [crank clock]

[cranks] ===> [money] ===> [regular clock]

Take your pick, depending on how strong your clock urge is.

qwerty
    Free Member

Whats the time?

[/url]2016-11-09_04-39-55 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

Two to one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nickdavies

No. you’ll need a heavy duty mains powered clock stepping motor to shift that much weight, you’ll also need to split the hands on the pipes somehow which would involve lots of machining and cleverness to attach them. Then you’ve got to house the whole thing.

Easier to cut the axle off, use the cog as a clock face and hang it from the pedal thread. £20 or so in bits and a bit of time to put it together.

Edit: actually.. as they’re carbon it could be done if you can cut the front of the cranks off somehow? Wouldn’t be that hard to do if you had a crank front just a few mm thick, and you could put inserts into the pedal holes to say hour and minute…

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeah, I though so nick. Those batt powered hi-torques aren’t going to cut it I don’t think and would not last long even if they did.
    Very interesting suggestions for a workaround though, I’ll mull it over.
    You’d have to remove the pedal inserts to disect the cranks though, would likely make a bit of a mess.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I wonder if you could accurately control a little motor with a Raspberry Pi, and make your own. Rather than relying on a quartz mechanism. I would be looking for motors with very small accurate movements.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Post me the cranks and I’ll post you a clock?

antigee

stop frame animation, project it on the neighbours house or make into an app and really confuse the people that can’t read analogue time – no heavy engineering and you can still sell the crankset – my invoice is in the post

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cranks into a clock?’ is closed to new replies.