• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bol.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic solaris 29er owner reviews
  • coblck
    Free Member

Hi just purchased frame and wondering if There are any satisfied owners out there. Will be built up with Reba 100mm forks sram x0 1×10 setup with 32t oval ring and sram guide brakes and mavic cross ride wheels.

whitestone
    Free Member

More than satisfied with mine. It’s my only MTB and every time I get the N+1 urge I realise that the Solaris does everything I’d want the new bike for.

NormalMan

I’ve got a MK1 Solaris, which is fairly XC spec – 100mm X Fusion forks, 1×10 XT (XT brakes also), Hope wheels, Renthal bars, etc.

Really enjoy it.

dazh

Enormously happy with my Mk1. Had it about 4 years now, and it’s still the bike that gets ridden more than the other 3 put together. I’d recommend putting 120mm forks on it, 100mm is fine but I find it’s much more capable on descents with the longer forks and doesn’t impact the climbing too much. Mine’s currently in chubby mode, which I’m also very happy with. Not necessarily better than it is with normal 29 wheels, just different.

coblck
    Free Member

My long term plan is to stick 120mm on it when funds let me. It will be my 2nd bike as also have 2016 29er stumpy fsr.

timc
    Free Member

Depends on your local riding i guess but im running 120mm forks & would prefer 100mm, keep it sharp etc.

Id say a dropper is a must also 🙂

retrobri
    Free Member

Great bike. 100 rebas this end. 2×10, wide bars, shortish stem, 2.35nic upfront awesome ride

mccraque

I’m mid way through a build!

I went a bit more beefy. 740mm Syntace bar, 120mm Yari fork and 1×11.

Going to try it 27.5+ first. See what the fuss is about…..

benp1

Mk1 owner here in duck egg blue

120mm forks, dropper and 1×10. Not riding it that much as I have a rigid SS El Mariachi for local stuff, but it gets taken bikepacking and on longer rides

My first proper bike

coblck
    Free Member

Get mine built next week will post some pics some nice builds listed

roverpig

I’ve had an on-off relationship with mine for a while now. Sometimes I think it is clearly all the bike I’ll ever need and can’t understand why I ever wanted to ride anything else. Then I get frustrated with it for some reason and don’t ride it for a while. But maybe that’s just me 🙂

It feels as though it’s so close to being perfect, but I just can’t seem to get it right. I found it a bit steep (for me and where/how I ride) with 100mm forks, but the BB was a bit high with 120! It’s currently chubby and when I first set it up like that I really thought I’d cracked it (120mm fork to get the angles I want, but smaller wheels for lower BB). But that was back when it was dry and now I’m struggling to find B+ wheels that work for me in the slop.

Then there is the whole hardtail thing. I like the look and the simplicity but in practice I generally prefer riding a full-sus. But then, as I say, there are times when the Solaris seems ideal.

SimonR

Loving my mk2 still – got in a good variety of riding over the last few months – great balance of fun and practicality.

There’s a good thread here with more thoughts … http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-solaris-inspiration-please

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Mk1 L in Green. SLX throughout. 2×10. 100mm Floats. ProII/Flow EX wheels. Three and a half years old now and has been my only bike for at least two years.

Great bike that’s took me on many an adventure (Torridon, Ben Damph, Nan Bield, Sticks Pass to name a few) as well as tapping out the xc orientated local routes. Considered going chubby late last year but have resisted spending any more money while I consider the n+1 equation.

NormalMan

KingofBiscuits – Member
    Considered going chubby late last year but have resisted spending any more money while I consider the n+1 equation.

Had the same thoughts but liked the way my Solaris, as a 29er, is. Ended up giving in to the N+1 itch/long time desire for a fat bike.

wors

How much do they weigh roughly?

whitestone
    Free Member

My setup of

Large frame
    Hope wheels, pro 2 hubs, Hope rims
    Bontrager XR4 & XR3 tyres running tubeless
    1×10 drivetrain (Raceface cranks, XT cassette with extender)
    Shimano XT brakes
    Reverb dropper post
    X-Fusion Slide forks
    SPD pedals

Came out at 12.7Kg. Didn’t go stupid with trying to save grams here and there, just went for reliable stuff.

bol

I really enjoyed mine. I think I preferred it with 120s to 100s. I would certainly have kept it a lot longer if the opportunity for a close alternative in Ti didn’t come up. It was a fantastic alrounder, comfortable, capable and confidence inspiring. The only down side was its relative heft.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic solaris 29er owner reviews’ is closed to new replies.