Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Convincing my mate to buy a CX bike?
  • tomtomlo
    Free Member

Hey there,

My friend is about to buy a bike and I’m trying to push him towards the idea of an all-rounder rather than a pure road bike.

I’m on a Jake the Snake 2011, for which I have 2 sets of folding tyres which I can quickly swap out, effectively giving me two bikes (kinda). It works well on road on the skinnies (even though the bars are a bit broad) and it’s proved itself capable across the South Downs when the big tyres are on.

I want him to get a similar setup that he can join me with on the North and South Downs, he wants to get a stylish racer.

Can any of you think of a frame/model that fits the bill of “style” but can accommodate 35c knobblies? He’s got a budget of around £900-1000. Not much to play with! 😀

JoB
    Free Member

tell him that £900-1000 won’t get him a ‘stylish racer’ so he might as well get a CX bike 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

croix de fer?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

My friend is about to buy a bike and I’m trying to push him towards the idea of an all-rounder rather than a pure road bike.

he wants to get a stylish racer.

So why are you trying to push him into something he doesn’t want to buy? Maybe just help him buy the bike he wants and not what you want him to buy.

martymac

id say:
    1: help him buy what HE wants.
    2: but let him try your bike first, so he can make an informed decision when he tests something else.
    slightly OT, how are you finding the kona? its on my shortlist atm.
    worried about tyre clearance with mudgaurds, and how smooth it is with alu forks.

tomtomlo
    Free Member

He really doesn’t know what he wants. His main concern is what people will think of him when he is on the bike(He wanted to get a 2-tonne Pashley Guvnor before they removed the drop bars.) He can be very superficial in that regard. However, he is amenable to the idea of getting a CX bike, but complains that they look too “sporty”.

Anyway, I happy being totally selfish in influencing his decision. I want him to come off-road cycling with me! 😆

tomtomlo
    Free Member

OT: The JtS rides really good, and looks awesome to boot. The front fork is carbon and quite forgiving. I did the South Down’s way in a weekend last Summer and it was surprisingly comfortable.

I’m going to try out narrower bars and a Thudbuster ST on it this summer – It will then be the ultimate on/offroad hardtail 8)

Tyre clearance with guards should be fine at 35c.

My only complaint is the compact cassette on long, steep climbs. That might be an issue with my strength rather than the bike though.

martymac

thanks bud.
    just realised you are on the JTS, its the normal jake im looking at, but cheers anyhow.
    M.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Surly cross check or the Genesis bikes? Does need a bit more detail on what he wants to do rather than what you do though!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There’s a new cross bike from Boardman, which is sure to be good value.

sam_underhill

slight hijack – any more info on the Boardman? Can’t see anything on their site apart from the non UK CX-Pro.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

thought some people on this forum had them – I have seen a few piccies.

Also mentioned in interview with Boardman:

Industry Insider: Chris Boardman

although he says “To make the most out of disc brakes they have to be hydraulic”

which is clearly wrong when talking about disc brakes for road bike!

but have you seen what rOcKeTdOg did with his Wanga:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/voodoo-wanga-anybody-had-1

looks very interesting.

wwaswas

these are £300 off if he needs a 56

http://www.dalescycles.com/2011-specialized-tricross-sport-p3346

Also, Halfords were selling off old stock Voodoo Limbas for £400 if you can find a branch with stock.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Charge CX? Looks stylish and old-skool if he was considdering a pashley.

muscleburn
    Free Member

I bought a CAADX 105 in Feb and have been very happy with it indeed! The polished alloy finish looks nice and the carbon weave forks should keep him happy!

It is a great ‘do it all bike’, is quick on tarmac and capable off road. I am running it with 35mm Sammy Slick tyres and it is possible to hold an average of 18-20 mph on an ‘all tarmac’ trip, equally it is a huge laugh off road!

I did the Ridgeway on it this weekend (which was a challenge due to the conditions), it was a 20 mile tarmac trip from my house to Goring where I picked up the Ridgeway, then 42 miles along the Ridgeway to Avebury and then 20 miles along byways and off-road cycle tracks all the way to Chippenham – then the train back to Reading.

http://app.strava.com/rides/7928619

There is no way I could have done this on a road bike, and an MTB would have made the 20 miles of tarmac miserable, but a CX bike was perfect!

Next up, South Downs way, but having learnt from this weekend I will wait for it to dry out a bit first!

Tell him to do it, he won’t regret it (unless he is planning on riding downhill or doing time trials)…..

bruk

Just bought a Whyte Kings Cross for under £800. Not a full crosser and quite ok to look at I think. Great for cruising round the country lanes and hopping off road when you upgrade the tyres.

Think they do flasher versions too.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Caadx again, not sure it’s a stylish racer, but for the money I think it’s bang on.

stevemorg2

Am thinking about sellng my 56cm Genesis Vapour- let me know if you want any more info

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Convincing my mate to buy a CX bike?’ is closed to new replies.