Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Pointless questions sales staff ask you when shopping.
  • project
    Free Member

So today, went to petrol station to buy fuel, not sweets, or chewing gum, so why did she ask me ask per usual did i want any.

Then onto Staples, usually excellent customer service, so why when i bought one ink cartridge, did she ask me did i want a second one, with a third off the price, so thats an extra 12 quid, for another,obviously i didnt read all the posters telling me about the offer.

Then onto Argos,to buy a hair dryer for a freinds birthday, so why did she ask me if i wanted to insure a 18 quid hair dryer against faults for 4 quid, and would i be intrsted in a high cost credit card abot 39%intrest,which i wouldnt have to pay unless i paid it off within so many days, she wasnt impressed when i said i`ll pay for it now.

Strangely shop managers, i and many others have the ability to decide what we want to buy when we enter your shop, and dont need to be asked if we need anything else.

Oh ansd never got asked out for a date by any shop staff so far.

What other anoying experiences do forum dwellers have of shopping

clubber
    Free Member

and yet it’s proven to work…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Post Office piss me off. No I don’t want life insurance I just want a book of stamps.

And Swinton Insurance – get a call every two or three weeks trying to sell me additional policies of one kind or another since taking car insurance out with them last October.

project
    Free Member

and yet it’s proven to work

Not with me its not.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep, it winds me right up too. Don’t these heartless bastards realise that some of us really struggle to say no.

project
    Free Member

Oh and there is Superdrug, they ask you do you want ant stamps or mobile phone top ups.

No,surely if they see youve bought deoderant, why the f… do you need stamps and a mobile top up.

clubber
    Free Member

other customers are available…

Mind you, on that point I’ll go put of my way to buy the cheaper option if a salesperson tries to be pushy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Superdrug, they ask you do you want ant stamps or mobile phone top ups.

nickjb
    Free Member

As clubber says, it works. Up-selling is a big part of sales. I bet it has worked on you sometime in the past.

I would imagine superdrug are promoting those services as most people wouldn’t be aware it is a service they offer.

emsz
    Free Member

Oh and there is Superdrug, they ask you do you want ant stamps or mobile phone top ups.

because unless I had mobile top up tattooed on the back of my hand, I’d never remember, so it’s just as well they ask!!

djglover
    Free Member

Businesses in bid to increase sales shocker.

Jesus

project
    Free Member

the other favourite is have you got a nectar card, and do you wAnt one, the answer im going to get a t shirt with “NO” printed on it so i can just point and smile.

emsz
    Free Member

you should get a nectar card…or can I have your points?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

project – Member
    and yet it’s proven to work
    Not with me its not.
    POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Me neither – the minute they ask if I want X, Y or Z I just knee-jerk and say no. Occasionally I have subsequently walked out thinking that I actually wanted whatever it was they were trying to sell me.

emsz
    Free Member

and a costa card, and a waitrose card, and a Tesco club card….

PMK2060

I hate it when they ask if i intend to pay for the items that are in my jacket pockets…

druidh
    Free Member

Having worked in a bike shop, I can assure you that folk have a habit of not realising they don’t have everything you need. Even if it’s as simple as an inner tube, you’d be surprised how many folk will buy tyre leavers when you ask, as opposed to getting home and then having to make a second trip.

coffeeking
    Free Member

To be honest I’d buy an ant stamp.

scaredypants

We’ve a WHSmiths where I work – they get me with “offers for a pound, dearie” (you have to imagine the witch from Snow White) about 50% of my visits

I’m weak

and tubby 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

See – I didn’t want to say anything until it was too late for him to edit his post* 🙂

* and then I forgot 😳

wallop

Mobile top ups are for poors.

johnners
    Free Member

because unless I had mobile top up tattooed on the back of my hand, I’d never remember

That’s you starting a “what’s the point of getting a tattoo?” thread right there, that is.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Pointless questions customers ask you when shopping.

“How much is this?”
    “what does the point of sale clearly plastered all over it say?”
    “£9.99!”
    “Then that’s how much it’ll be”.

“Is this £4.50?”
    “what does the point of sale clearly plastered all over it say?”
    “£4.50!”
    “Then, Yes”

“would you like a bag sir?”
    “Yes, if you’ve got one?”
    “Well, if I didn’t have one, I wouldn’t £ecking ask you if you wanted one, you stupid tit.”

sam42
    Free Member

Unfortunately as part of my demeaning part time job I have to ask people if they have their own bags if they want help packing, if they have a clubcard and if they are collecting whatever daft vouchers we’re giving out (at the moment two lots) its annoying but its part of the job.
    The other day I asked a customer if they were collecting the knife vouchers, half listening they replied “oh are they for schools?” I just said yeah and gave them ’em…
    I feel sorry for the people in W H Smith’s who have to blag every customer about dairymilk for a quid or whatever.

And yeah I have asked customers out on dates before now, so you’re just not going to the right checkout Project!…..

GJP
    Free Member

Its seems to be all the rave at the moment cross selling ancillary sales, low revenue but high margin, perhaps not always done that intelligently, but for some companies it now becoming a key strategy.

Generally I have been led to believe that it is considered to have better conversion rates than up-selling, plus some things can’t easily be up-sold, how can I get people to buy a higher priced, higher margin deoderant especially when they are already at the till point. So, you can see why stamps and gum are offered but is it really very successful? And as people are saying, it just pisses people off.

Would you like to supersize that? = up sell
    Would you like fries with that? = cross sell

So not really very new, just becoming much more pervasive in our retailing culture.

thegreatape
    Free Member

McDonald’s are the worst.

“Big Mac meal please”

“Is that a large meal?”

Look at me, johnny-no-stars, of course it’s a large one.

Hohum
    Free Member

Just doing their jobs aren’t they?

You could be a covert mystery shopper who will report back to/grass them up to head office and get them fired for not having obeyed the latest cross-sell/up-sell marketing/sales campaign!

Lifer
    Free Member

Lolz at thegreatape

I’m just annoyed you can’t supersize anymore 😥

maccruiskeen

A lot of this is prompted by the till – as you are being served the till is prompting the server with the various up-sells and platitudes.

its why in burger king you’ll cheerily be told to ‘enjoy your meal’ even if you’ve only bought a drink

aracer
    Free Member

“and yet it’s proven to work”
    Not with me its not.

Maybe you should get “cross selling doesn’t work with me” tattooed on your forehead so you can avoid all this hassle?

Hohum
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mobile top ups are for poors.
    & people who don’t walk around with a phone glued to an ear. Like me (except I’m PAYG)

The other one is banks, got a call at TEATIME tonight, Barclays wanting to talk to me about my ‘everyday banking’. Well I do apologise for not going to the bank everyday! I did tell the guy that it was a totally mind numbing subject & he tried to convince me it was actually a fascinating subject. When I told him I’d talk about MTBing or sea fishing he seemed a bit confused. Soon got shot of him without being rude though. 😈

coffeeking
    Free Member

To be fair he has reasonable grounds to think you may be interested in banking offers (most people with a bank account are at least vaguely). Whereas MTBing or sea fishing is boring to 99% of the population.

antigee

The other day I asked a customer if they were collecting the knife vouchers, half listening they replied “oh are they for schools?”

guilty on that one

Kevevs
    Free Member

the worst one is when the store is doing a postcode survey for a week or 2 to find out their catchment area. Your till, which you are logged on to, is automatically monitored whether you’re entering postcodes for each customer, as well as snidy supervisors keeping an eye on you. You feel like a right tit asking people for their postcode and loads of customers feel it is an invasion of their own private info. Got pulled in one year cos I was slagging the company with customers for doing it. Got pulled in the next year for making up postcodes. Stupid crap! cashback?

Euro
    Free Member

Cycle to petrol station in full bicyclist uniform. Lean bike under cashier’s window, make eye contact with cashier and smile through mud splat riddled face. Helmet still on, grab an energy drink and maybe some athletic cigarettes and waddle up to counter….’any petrol today sir?????’ 😀

binners

In Morrisons: “Do you need help with your packing?”

“Jesus! Do I look so old that I’ve obviously lost the use of my faculties?”

And, of course, in the pub: “Will that be a double?”

has anyone ever answered ‘no’ to that question? 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Pointless questions asked by sales assistants?

“Can I help you”

scuzz
    Free Member

In the bank.
    “Who is your home insurance provider?”
    Excuse me?

Cougar

“Can I help you?”

No thanks.

*Proceeds to tell me all about the product I’m looking at anyway, usually by reading the features card on the display to me*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Pointless questions sales staff ask you when shopping.’ is closed to new replies.